News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We got lucky only losing Jon Merrill last time. Not like we left anyone that good unprotected though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
let's start making our protected lists now. Next time we will definitely lose someone of quality...unless we pull a side deal.

Assuming they keep the same rules, if Seattle joins at the start of the 2020-21 season, the Devils are at risk of losing any player who turned pro in 2017-18 or before. Seney and McLeod's first years would technically be next year, so they would be exempt.

So it's essentially everyone on the NHL/AHL roster right now + any other player we add between now and then.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Flyers gain another third-rounder like weeks after the trade deadline...I guess this is some college kid the Flyers couldn't sign?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If we do happen to resign Grabner, Maroon or Mojo in the next off season or next, they better not have no movement clauses.

eh NMC don't really bother me. those are less about saying 'we can't trade you' and more about saying 'we don't want you here and we want to trade you. give us 10 teams you'd be willing to waive for'.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
eh NMC don't really bother me. those are less about saying 'we can't trade you' and more about saying 'we don't want you here and we want to trade you. give us 10 teams you'd be willing to waive for'.

We say that now but NMC's can keep a guy here longer than it should or bump his trade value down artificially. We got zippo when we traded for Zidlicky cause he only wanted to go to one spot (likewise we didn't have to trade much for him cause he only wanted to come here). We had to hold Langs for months cause he wouldn't waive his NTC.

God forbid they ever did want to trade Zajac, the NMC would make it near impossible to move him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
bump his trade value down artificially

true, fair enough. i just think it's worth the risk- if grabner or maroon are deciding between us and another team, and us giving a NMC seals the deal, it might be worth it. lord knows it was with patty when he nearly defected to the rangers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Flyers gain another third-rounder like weeks after the trade deadline...I guess this is some college kid the Flyers couldn't sign?

Trade deadline is more a deadline to acquire somebody that'd be eligible to use in the playoffs. It is curious timing wise, but there may have been a hiccup in negotiations. If Marody wanted to turn pro next season, he could have used the UFA loophole in August.

On a related note, Craig Custance reported that 2016 2nd round pick Adam Mascherin informed the Panthers that he won't be signing with them. They hold his rights until June 1st, so Florida will more than likely trade him beforehand; Otherwise they'd get nothing and Mascherin would go back for the 2018 Draft.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kind of a random thought, but you know what city I’m surprised we never heard about as an expansion/relocation city? Milwaukee. Wisconsin is a big hockey state. Milwaukee already has the MLB and NBA. It’s pretty close to Chicago, within 100 miles. Maybe that’s why? Everybody is a Hawks fan there already? I’m just surprised to always hear of cities like Houston and Kansas City more than there.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kind of a random thought, but you know what city I’m surprised we never heard about as an expansion/relocation city? Milwaukee. Wisconsin is a big hockey state. Milwaukee already has the MLB and NBA. It’s pretty close to Chicago, within 100 miles. Maybe that’s why? Everybody is a Hawks fan there already? I’m just surprised to always hear of cities like Houston and Kansas City more than there.

People from Wisconsin loathe Chicago sports teams from what I understand.

I think they would certainly be able to support a team, but it seems like the NHL's primary interest right now is locking down all the big TV markets. Right now, Houston would likely take the first expansion team after Seattle or the Coyotes relocating.

It looks like Milwaukee is about to finish a brand new arena within a year. If that arena is suitable for NHL, that could be a major boost to them potentially owning a franchise. I still think they would need to be one of the only options at the perfect time like Winnipeg was for Atlanta for it to happen.

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was actually surprised by the lack of hockey interest when I lived in Wisconsin. People seemed much more interested in baseball and obviously football.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Milwaukee would be a good choice.
QC of course too.

Houston has a huge population spread out around a large area.

I don't think KC is a good option .

The NHL should never go back to ATL though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People from Wisconsin loathe Chicago sports teams from what I understand.

I think they would certainly be able to support a team, but it seems like the NHL's primary interest right now is locking down all the big TV markets. Right now, Houston would likely take the first expansion team after Seattle or the Coyotes relocating.

It looks like Milwaukee is about to finish a brand new arena within a year. If that arena is suitable for NHL, that could be a major boost to them potentially owning a franchise. I still think they would need to be one of the only options at the perfect time like Winnipeg was for Atlanta for it to happen.
That actually makes sense, that it's because Milwaukee isn't a huge market like Houston is.
Milwaukee would be a good choice.
QC of course too.

Houston has a huge population spread out around a large area.

I don't think KC is a good option .

The NHL should never go back to ATL though.
I don't think we'll see NHL hockey in Atlanta again, not in our lifetime.

It sucks because I would travel to Atlanta to see the Devils, but I'd need to stay overnight. It's a haul from here. It's not a day trip like Sunrise. We used to have a lot of poor losses to the Thrasers too, so we might have stunk if they still had a team there.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That actually makes sense, that it's because Milwaukee isn't a huge market like Houston is.

I don't think we'll see NHL hockey in Atlanta again, not in our lifetime.

It sucks because I would travel to Atlanta to see the Devils, but I'd need to stay overnight. It's a haul from here. It's not a day trip like Sunrise. We used to have a lot of poor losses to the Thrasers too, so we might have stunk if they still had a team there.

I remember us winning there 9-0 though, when we had strong leadership and solid defense and goaltending .

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember us winning there 9-0 though, when we had strong leadership and solid defense and goaltending .
I'm trying to think of what year that was. Had to be early 00's, like between 2000 and 2004. I remember the Pittsburgh 9-0 win, where McKay and Madden each had 4 goals.

I'm gonna look that one up on hockey reference.

That didn't take long

March 10th of 2000. Madden and Pandolfo each had 2 goals a piece. Stevens, Elias, Nemchinov, Rafalski, Gomez with the others.

All I did was go back to Marty's game logs starting with the 99-00 season (Atlanta's first in the league) and filtered his shutout games. He had 2 shutouts over Atlanta that year. The other being a 6-0 win at home on March 31st of 2000. Later that month.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm trying to think of what year that was. Had to be early 00's, like between 2000 and 2004. I remember the Pittsburgh 9-0 win, where McKay and Madden each had 4 goals.

I'm gonna look that one up on hockey reference.

That didn't take long

March 10th of 2000. Madden and Pandolfo each had 2 goals a piece. Stevens, Elias, Nemchinov, Rafalski, Gomez with the others.

All I did was go back to Marty's game logs starting with the 99-00 season (Atlanta's first in the league) and filtered his shutout games. He had 2 shutouts over Atlanta that year. The other being a 6-0 win at home on March 31st of 2000. Later that month.

It was either 1999-2000 or 2000-2001 but I remember housing TBL pretty good a few times in about a month.

I had the weekend partial plan and remember these two meathead Rags fans had the same plan and sat directly behind me.

They must have bought the plan since two Rags games were included.

They were rooting for TB loudly in the opening minutes but had nothing to cheer about that game or the next since we beat them like 6-0 and then 5-0.

I turned around and just laughed at them at some point since all they did was talk trash about the Devils in between chugging beers , but one of them said something like Man Tampa Sucks loudly during a point in the game when everyone else was quiet.

Ironically the Rags were almost as bad if not worse.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was either 1999-2000 or 2000-2001 but I remember housing TBL pretty good a few times in about a month.

I had the weekend partial plan and remember these two meathead Rags fans had the same plan and sat directly behind me.

They must have bought the plan since two Rags games were included.

They were rooting for TB loudly in the opening minutes but had nothing to cheer about that game or the next since we beat them like 6-0 and then 5-0.

I turned around and just laughed at them at some point since all they did was talk trash about the Devils in between chugging beers , but one of them said something like Man Tampa Sucks loudly during a point in the game when everyone else was quiet.

Ironically the Rags were almost as bad if not worse.
Those were the days! The Rangers spent $85 million or something and a bunch of superstars, only to keep missing the playoffs every year!

I remember one game we Tampa and Zdeno Ciger had a hat trick, including the OT winner! I think the OT winner! I was say 01-02? Either right before or right after Larry got fired.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Does anyone have any incite on Adam Mascherin, a 2016 LW drafted at 38th for Fla who says he wont sign this year? Going back into the draft if Fla cant move him. Seems like an opportunity for Ray.
Seems like other than being on the smaller side and a lefty, he is worth looking at
Adam Mascherin Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Florida Panthers | The Sports Forecaster
Adam Mascherin

I liked him a good amount in his draft year too. Kid is stocky and built like a tank for being small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad