News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
While Skinner didn't draw opposing teams top shut down lines/pairs, he did still draw attention. If you remove him without an equally dangerous threat, the attention he did draw gets focused elsewhere. Just another factor to consider when potentially looking at the addition by subtraction bull****.
I’m guessing that Svechnikov will draw similar attention, so we won’t be losing a threat compared to last year.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Can't disagree with one bit of that Bleed.

To me the harder question is going to be how we replace Faulk if he is moved, which is sounding more and more likely. There's no doubt that last year was a down year for him, but that also he's been having some mobility issues. To do trades such as Faulk + Darling (w retention) for Saad, Hossa, pick; and Skinner for Martinez to LA we make up some of that, but we lose quite a bit of dynamism in both positions in the process. In losing Skinner for Saad up front we go from a guy with top line ability to a prototypical second liner; In losing Faulk for Martinez we go from a guy that can be when on and skating well looks like a #1 for a guy that's clearly a #3 type dman. But the question is are the replacements more reliable by enough of a difference to compensate for that, since while they're downgrades it's not as if it's to the degree that the guys coming in are bad, and they may be a better fit for what we need. The thing with Faulk is that, even though he's not a QB, he's an absolute weapon on the PP, something that neither of Saad or Martinez bring to the table, and the only player in the system that really also has that element is Bean who's not quite ready for prime time and is more of a QB type then a trigger man. The x-factor there is Slavin who has shown some offensive chops in his time and could be the kind of guy that has more to give in that regard, but hasn't really gotten the chance on the PP.

I'm not at all concerned about how to replace Darling, he was by far the worst goalie in the league last year that got significant playing time. Signing Halak or even Lehtonen would lose us nothing in terms of replacing him. Though I would try to flip the pick we get from Chicago for say Schneider if NJ is serious about moving on from him if we can somehow squeeze our way in to the #27.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I’m guessing that Svechnikov will draw similar attention, so we won’t be losing a threat compared to last year.

Look, I'm super excited about Svech, but I'm not going to pencil him in as a 30 goal threat right off the bat. I'd be thrilled if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to temper the optimism here; I don't see him filling Skinner's offensive boots in his first year.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
While Skinner didn't draw opposing teams top shut down lines/pairs, he did still draw attention. If you remove him without an equally dangerous threat, the attention he did draw gets focused elsewhere. Just another factor to consider when potentially looking at the addition by subtraction bull****.
No team was sending out even their second-best line against Derek Ryan's line.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
On the offensive side Skinner is hard to play with because he's unpredictable but that is also what makes him hard to defend.

I will chalk up Skinner's defensive game last year to checking out after 3 months. Iirc 2 years ago everyone was bullish on his defensive game after he was so agressive on the puck. Baby datsyuk comparisons may have even been thrown around.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Player Usage Chart(2).png

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
On the offensive side Skinner is hard to play with because he's unpredictable but that is also what makes him hard to defend.

I will chalk up Skinner's defensive game last year to checking out after 3 months. Iirc 2 years ago everyone was bullish on his defensive game after he was so agressive on the puck. Baby datsyuk comparisons may have even been thrown around.

I think more than bullish, it was more excitement that Skinner seemed to have upgraded his defensive game from worst in the league to just bad.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Last year Skinner was a net +31 in takeaway/giveaway ratio. He led the team in takeaways w/93 and was 3rd worst on the team in giveaways w/62. As impressive as the takeaways look, if the quality of competition was so meager, it seems to diminish his successes in that regard.

Put another way, he was stripping the puck from mediocre 3rd liners and getting pick pocketed by the same group.

What's worse is that he did garner more attention as his linemates were usually similarly piss-poor. Yet the other team's best were reserved for the other 6 guys in our Top 9. When I think about this, the fact that Skinner gave up w/3 months to go just irritates me even more.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Defending a line of Skinner-Ryan-X basically comes down to triple-teaming Skinner and daring the other guys to somehow get the puck and beat you. Only a moron would match good defensive players to that assignment.

Pretty much, which is why it's infuriating to see Skinner on a line with nobodies basically for the last 5 years here. Instead of moving him, how about finding someone that can keep up with him and is also a legitimate scoring threat?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just for reference, here are Skinner's most common linemates based on 5v5 TOI with for the last 5 years.

13/14: 1: Elias Lindholm, 2: Eric Staal,
14/15: 1: Elias Lindholm, 2: Victor Rask
15/16: 1: Victor Rask, 2: PDG
16/17: 1: Victor Rask, 2: Lee Stempniak
17/18: 1: Derek Ryan, 2: Elias Lindholm

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Defending a line of Skinner-Ryan-X basically comes down to triple-teaming Skinner and daring the other guys to somehow get the puck and beat you. Only a moron would match good defensive players to that assignment.

It's more like "defending a line of Skinner-X-X" basically comes down to triple teaming Skinner, because every team knows he doesn't use his linemates very well, no matter who they are.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's more like "defending a line of Skinner-X-X" basically comes down to triple teaming Skinner, because every team knows he doesn't use his linemates very well, no matter who they are.

Would be interesting to see what happens if a team throws Skinner on a line with a clearly superior C like McDavid or Eichel. Could be blue-sky offensive breakout if he accepted offensive support from a player of that level. Could be ugly if he can’t break out of the tunnel vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad