News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Fair enough but that’s kind of a beef I have against an ESPN. Who puts a non hockey person in a world where they have to talk heavy duty hockey? That’s not her fault per se but someone green lighted that. I’d like to kick that person in the shins. You should be the hockey person, speaking hockey things to the hockey obsessed because you have a strong hockey background. Who’s listening to a hockey podcast aside from the knowledgeable fan? Why would you think it would be ok to do that? Did you really think it wouldn’t be noticed?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well, ESPN's best and brightest have logged their "Trades We'd Like to See" for 2018... Brace yourselves...
Emily Kaplan, national NHL reporter: Skinner for Lucic and a pick

Chris Peters, hockey prospects analyst: Faulk for Grubauer

(for full disclosure, that is the extent to which the Canes' needs were mentioned in that proposal.)

So to reiterate... ESPN would love for us to trade Skinner and Faulk for Lucic and a backup goalie. And we wonder why we're routinely bent over on the Trades forum here...
Lucic and a pick better mean 2018 10th overall and 2019 1st.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’m sure there was absolutely no discussion of bringing RNH here while he was playing golf with our head coach.

I think RNH and Brind'Amour have done this event together for years. RNH could be a good option.

Grubauer + sweetener (Burakovsky, #31) for Faulk sounds about right to me. Makes a lot of sense if Carlson goes for a payday.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd hate to see us make another human sieve out of Grubauer though. Faulk hat tricks against us could be a thing if that happens.

If we trade Faulk and Skinner, I hope it's out of division if not out of conference.

Unfortunately I’m sure that logic goes for Grubauer and Carolina as well. Almost everyone believes Carolina would be a Playoff team with average goaltending. Unless Washington thought Grub would crash and burn I’m not sure why they would want to create a divisional threat.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Unfortunately I’m sure that logic goes for Grubauer and Carolina as well. Almost everyone believes Carolina would be a Playoff team with average goaltending. Unless Washington thought Grub would crash and burn I’m not sure why they would want to create a divisional threat.
True. And eventually a goaltender acquisition has to work out for the Canes, right?

Would be an interesting gamble for both teams for sure.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m curious if we are so much of an immediate playoff threat after our moves. We may be taking a step back this year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m curious if we are so much of an immediate playoff threat after our moves. We may be taking a step back this year.

Makes me sick to think about it.

I wonder if it is by design. Sell off some valuable short term assets in Faulk and Skinner for picks, draft high end talent ins some strong drafts 2018-20, avoid having to lose a valuable unprotected player to Seattle, maybe luck into a Hughes type center.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If Brind'Amour is in fact involved in personnel decisions, which I believe he is, then I highly doubt he'd advocate trading off assets for picks. I have a feeling Dundon is relying on Rod a whole lot.

I'll go on the record as saying I hope we pick up multiple 1st rounders in the next 2 drafts. Then we'd be loaded, at least until we have to pay for all these guys.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought one of the problems with Francis was that he was just too conservative, spent all his time gaining picks and prospects and never made a player for player trade to make the team better? Now some are suggesting we should trade away a bunch players for more picks and prospects?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I thought one of the problems with Francis was that he was just too conservative, spent all his time gaining picks and prospects and never made a player for player trade to make the team better? Now some are suggesting we should trade away a bunch players for more picks and prospects?
I’m not suggesting it as the thing to do or not, I’m just saying it may be what they are planning. And it makes some sense: there is now no pressure to fill seats to sell the team, expansion draft in 2 years, lockout possibly in two years, culture change wanted, stuck in doughnut hole position of out of playoffs but drafting in teens, good drafts for centers upcoming with a hole at that position on the top line, and owner who doesn’t want to shell out on contracts unless we are contending. Now would be a good time to sell off guys that are valuable and likely to cost with new expensive contacts by 2020.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not suggesting it as the thing to do or not, I’m just saying it may be what they are planning. And it makes some sense: there is now no pressure to fill seats to sell the team, expansion draft in 2 years, lockout possibly in two years, culture change wanted, stuck in doughnut hole position of out of playoffs but drafting in teens, good drafts for centers upcoming with a hole at that position on the top line, and owner who doesn’t want to shell out on contracts unless we are contending. Now would be a good time to sell off guys that are valuable and likely to cost with new expensive contacts by 2020.

I was more commenting about flyingsquirrel's suggestiong.

Anyhow, They've drafted in the teens once since 2010. Canes draft positions:
2010: 7th; 2011: 12th; 2012: 8th; 2013: 5th; 2014: 7th; 2015: 5th; 2016: 13/21; 2017: 12th; 2018: 2nd

I can understand Skinner as he's kind of a rental in that he's a UFA in a year. If this team is making personnel moves now because of a pending expansion draft and lockout and starts loading up on picks/prospects, then we might as well say goodbye to the playoffs for another 3+ years.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

The Canes were an 83 point team last season and the two wild card teams had 97 points.

If you replaced Darling with an average starter, I think at best this team was a bubble team...but probably not even that.

The group of centers was still arguably the worst in the league...think consensus was between Carolina and Montreal.

Columbus has a top tier goalie, scored 14 more goals than Carolina, and barely made the playoffs.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
There’s been rumors of trading Hanifin for the 7th OA and Skinner for a 1st plus a prospect. The TSN talking heads have made the point that they expect Faulk to be dealt before Hanifin, and they don’t expect both the be traded. Faulk for Saad has been floated around.

To me, it sounds like the only player they really are looking for futures on is Skinner, which somewhat makes sense due to his contract status. Faulk for Saad sounds kind a hockey trade to me. I don’t really know what to make of the Hanifin rumors, but TSN folks also say CAR prefers to deal Faulk over Hanifin. So, I’m not so sure we really take a step back next year...if we pursue “hockey” trades.

Saad + Hossa contract + Murphy for Faulk + Darling with $$$ retained + ?, makes sense to me.

Skinner for 16OA and Kamenev from COL makes sense to me (perhaps with the idea of flipping 16OA for a goalie)

Hanifin plus a small add for ROR sucks, but that makes sense to me.

A Skinner trade plus a Hanifin or Faulk trade, not both, should accomplish the “shakeup” needed I’d think. If we deal Hanifin for another top 10 pick and Faulk to EDM for Lucic and 10OA/Pool-party or similar future-laden deal, then I think we’ll see a step back.

It makes me a bit nervous with Waddell at the helm. It’d really suck to see our depth in D traded away for picks/prospects.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Skinner I would understand trading for futures. He's a UFA in a year. Some teams probably aren't going to give up a comparable or better (if we add) player for him in a trade.

Faulk, less so because even with his brain farts, we would be hard pressed to be able to replace him right away.

Trading Hanifin for futures would just be nutty unless they straight up don't think he'll ever be more than what he is right now. I'm not super high on Hanifin myself but even I think he'll eventually sort out a lot of his problems and become a very good d-man.

If we trade any d-man I hope we have a good plan to replace them or else it's back to the gong show defense outside of Slavin and Pesce.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Again, in the games Cam Ward started, we were on a 100+ point pace. We absolutely are a playoff team with better goaltending. Darling really was that bad.

I'm familiar with the team outcome with Ward in net vs Darling...98 point pace in 42 starts for Ward

Ward is undervalued...folks don't appreciate how good he is.

It's debatable that the Canes would be a bubble team with an average replacement for Darling...my opinion is that a fairly optimistic view of the team.

Staal-Ryan-Rask-Kruger down the middle was pure garbage and not the makings of a playoff team with average goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad