News and Notes Thread IX: Paper Bags and LaRose Colored Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the dedication to Boychuk after the time frame, the complaints, the opportunities, the waiving around the league and back, and still the same lack of any significant results is indeed ............pick a word. weird maybe. but I agree estaalo about these terrific prospects.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Boychuk was cut, waived and sent to Charlotte so I wouldn't say he was given the job. Also, although it's my speculation, I believe Terry would likely be a 13th forward if not for the rash of injuries. When you lose the number of forwards the Canes have so far, you get stuck with AHL tweeners.

EDIT: and I think sometimes we miss seeing the forest through the trees.

Alex Semin: 0G, 2 points
Elias Lindholm: 0G, 1 point
Victor Rask: 0G, 0 points
Justin Faulk: - infinity
Games missed: J. Staal (8), E. Staal (5.5), Skinner (4), Gerbe (4), Sekera (1.5),
Ward: .840 Sv %, Anton: .891 Sv %

Last edited:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
i disagree. there was clearly a spot left open in the top 9 (or at the very least, in the lineup) for a "prospect". the injuries only contributed to the problem. it was a pointless risk to go sign so many defensemen but so few forwards. one of the contracts given to gleason/bellemore should have been given to a forward. this was discussed at the time and gets discussed every year but each year people fall into the trap that AHL production matters and that somehow terry/boychuk/dalpe/whoever are just going to start being useful despite showing zero indications whatsoever.

it's going to happen next year, too. it will be different names and faces but the same story. five years from now we will still be hearing about mcginn and rask's potential while jay harrison is slobbered over by luke decock.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
In today's broadcast, John said that Peters stated he was looking forward to having Gerbe and Dwyer return because he likes the energy guys. He'll love LaRose.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
So, maybe we can ship one of Harrison/Gleason to Rangers? They'll miss McDonagh for a while, and probably Klein too. Boyle's still injured and Moore suspended.

Do it Ronnie!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So, maybe we can ship one of Harrison/Gleason to Rangers? They'll miss McDonagh for a while, and probably Klein too. Boyle's still injured and Moore suspended.

Do it Ronnie!

If they could trade Harrison to the Rangers that would be great. Once they get healthy I can go heckle him at their AHL affiliates practice rink which is 3 minutes from my house.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

Do it Ronnie!

If they could trade Harrison to the Rangers that would be great. Once they get healthy I can go heckle him at their AHL affiliates practice rink which is 3 minutes from my house.

Well, there's this....

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 9m9 minutes ago
Couple notes from our news segment: NYR -- with McDonagh/Klein hurt tonight -- believed to have interest in Sekera (CAR)...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 9m9 minutes ago
Although I'm not sure CAR is willing to do anything yet...[snip because this part is irrelevant]

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ugh, would MUCH rather we try and re-sign Seksy and only trade him if we just flat out can't get it done. Even then I'd want the team getting him to pay out the damn ass for him. From them that would be something like 1st + Miller and Skeji

they can have Harrison for a 4th though.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
This was on the Rangers board:

J.T. Miller
John Moore
Conor Allen
Danny Kristo
Oscar Lindberg

For

Sekera
Nash
Brett Pesce (local kid, Rangers fan)

Seems bad to me.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think it is pretty unanimous that Canes fans would prefer to re-sign Sekera vs. trading him. Not trying to be a pessimist, just at realist, but my view is that it is going to be very difficult to do. Put yourself in Sekera's shoes. He'll be 29 to start next season, he's been in a total of only 8 playoff games his entire career, he's coming off a career year and looks solid this season as well, and the Canes will likely not be competitive for another 2-3 years at least\.

He's going to get paid no matter where he goes, so unless there is some sort of allegiance he has to the Canes (which to me is unlikely has he's had 2 different GMs, 2 different coaching staffs), I can't see him re-signing here. If I was his agent, I'd be steering him to a place like Detroit or some other contender in the east/west.

Hope I'm wrong as I'd love to keep him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think it is pretty unanimous that Canes fans would prefer to re-sign Sekera vs. trading him. Not trying to be a pessimist, just at realist, but my view is that it is going to be very difficult to do. Put yourself in Sekera's shoes. He'll be 29 to start next season, he's been in a total of only 8 playoff games his entire career, he's coming off a career year and looks solid this season as well, and the Canes will likely not be competitive for another 2-3 years at least\.

He's going to get paid no matter where he goes, so unless there is some sort of allegiance he has to the Canes (which to me is unlikely has he's had 2 different GMs, 2 different coaching staffs), I can't see him re-signing here. If I was his agent, I'd be steering him to a place like Detroit or some other contender in the east/west.

Hope I'm wrong as I'd love to keep him.

Regardless, the Canes won't trade them until they have to- which means at the deadline, not now. If things pick up and the team starts winning, Sekera would be much more inclined to re-sign. If the team keeps losing, keep him, try to win him over, but worst comes to worst, there will be plenty of bidders who'll want him for their playoff runs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Regardless, the Canes won't trade them until they have to- which means at the deadline, not now. If things pick up and the team starts winning, Sekera would be much more inclined to re-sign. If the team keeps losing, keep him, try to win him over, but worst comes to worst, there will be plenty of bidders who'll want him for their playoff runs.

Agree fully, and wasn't trying to imply they'd trade him now. Will only be at the deadline if/when their losing ways continue and the team is pretty sure they won't be able to resign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad