Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes last 3 #1 picks not exactly lighting the world on fire early on:

Hayden Fleury: 1G, 5A -1 in 10 WHL games
Elias Lindholm: 0G, 1A, -6 in 8 NHL games
Ryan Murphy: 0G, 1A, -3 in 6 NHL games and demoted to the AHL.

Of course, nobody in Carolina or Charlotte is really lighting the world on fire.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I attribute it more to his contract. A smaller market team will always struggle to put good players around a 9 million dollar guy. The moment he signed the contract we were going to start eroding. A couple of years ago we stepped up the money, and gave it to the only two people that would take it in jstaal and semin, but we still don't have the depth we had before the staal contract imo.

I really think this team has to be more like Nashville or Arizona, if you're gonna have a big contract guy it has to be a dman like weber. We should probably cap our forwards at 6 million and just have more of them instead of one star guy who is supposed to carry a load no man could carry. I agree staal isn't an ideal captain, but I think the long term effects of his and Ward's contract have contributed more to the toilet spiral this team has been in over the last few years.

but what about the celeb status

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
and Kevin Westgarth will be living in Europe for a while playing with the Belfast Giants. good for him still pursuing his dream. I wonder what his degree from Harvard (?) is. the guy has done pretty darn good for himself, all things considered I think.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
10747842_795226763870403_1415276952_n.jpg

10731604_864903633534030_1878344692_n.jpg

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Can't imagine we're on that list. Having zero wins a month into the season will hurt your ability to sign late-signing FAs

Not only that, but not tendering an offer to a player simply because he's injured probably didn't generate a whole heap of good will on his behalf. Hard to believe a team is going to bat for you when they walk away from your QO and guarantee Bradley Malone two years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Not only that, but not tendering an offer to a player simply because he's injured probably didn't generate a whole heap of good will on his behalf. Hard to believe a team is going to bat for you when they walk away from your QO and guarantee Bradley Malone two years.

Still, for a guy in his position, it may just be any port in a storm.

But I doubt he's talking to us. I doubt that his being injured was the only reason we didn't give him a QO, Francis probably just didn't see a place for him going forward. He was trying to make the depth much more physical, and may just not have seen any chance that Lokitinov would ever become good enough to break in to the top 6.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
positively agree and it's why we get frustrated when nothing seems to be done and the GM says something like "we are always looking but we haven't come across anything that makes sense for us", or some such.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
rfranciso said that loktionov wasn't qualified because he wanted to give boychuk a chance. it had nothing to do with getting bigger and tougher, just to do with an obsessive, nonsensical reliance on bust prospects when there are hordes of established nhl players available for next to nothing every year. i wish we could fire boychuk, terry, and company into the sun.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm certain that you can't be certain of that.

Well, my understanding is still is not completely recovered, so unless that info is false, he'd be on IR even if the Canes signed him and the canes would be icing the exact same lineup. I was basing my comment off of that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Obviously only a healthy Loktionov could be helpful.

Exactly, which is why I phrased it that way(saying I was certain). I don't think he's the difference between a playoff and non-playoff team, but he's a better option than some in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad