News and Notes Part 12: Malone scored enough to win us Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Was it Pointstreak that made wins worth 3 points? Well, except for the Canes, naturally.

Maybe it's because it's an OT win? Unless it's just an error, by the looks of it, it seems they are doing:

Win = 3 points
OT Win = 2 points (based on Canes total)
OT Loss = 1 point
Reg Loss = 0 points

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
dbc1749662770f48fdedeb5eaa825dc1.png

Never change, ESPN.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The first three assists for Fleury were primary. He picked up a 4th later in the game. He leads the tournament in plus minus, points from defense, and assists. 6 in 3 games.

He's priming himself for a big season in the dub if he can keep this up. I haven't been a fan of Fleury. Maybe this is a sign of a developmental step forward.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Not quite sure what happened, but it seemed like Rasmus Tirronen had some problem in the early third period. It was 5-0 up until that point, then 3 goals went in in a matter a minutes and there was mention on twitter of Tirronen looking like he might have been injured.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
without video, impossible to tell, but 5 goals given up on 11 shots in the 3rd? Ouch.

From reading the tweets/stories and looking at the numbers, it appears that Fleury, Tolchinsky, and Pesce kinda stood out for the Canes (and maybe Wallmark). I'd have to say McGinn and Carrick were pretty disappointing given that they've already had a pro season under their belts and people had thoughts they might crack the line-up sooner than some of these other guys. Would have been nice to see them step up and stand out like Rask did last year. Hard to say for sure without watching the games, but they didn't seem to leave a positive impact.

Offensively, here are the numbers:

Fleury: 0G, 6A, +5
Tolchinsky: 3G, 1A, +5
Walmark: 3G, 1A, +4
Pesce: 2G, 1A, -1
PDG: 2G, 0A, +3 (1G was EN)
Bishop: 1G, 1A, -1
McKeown: 1G, 1A, +3
Slavin: 0G, 2A, -1
Smallman: 1G, 0A, -1
Lorentz: 1G, 0A, -1
Sandlak: 0G, 1A, -1

That's it for the scoring, but other notables:

McGinn: 0G, 0A, -1
Carrick: 0G, 0A, -1
Wesley: 0G, 0A, -3 (2GP)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Im not sure production at this tourney means much negatively. It helps those who produce but hardly damns those who don't, for the guys who are already in Charlotte. More likely how they played per the coaches opinions. McGinn and Carrick are obviously going to be at the main camp. If they play well there I doubt their numbers here matter.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Im not sure production at this tourney means much negatively. It helps those who produce but hardly damns those who don't, for the guys who are already in Charlotte. More likely how they played per the coaches opinions. McGinn and Carrick are obviously going to be at the main camp. If they play well there I doubt their numbers here matter.

Maybe. But IIRC, Peters (in an interview I'll try to find later) commented that he wants to see who's going to step up at this tournament so it plays a role. Still, I do agree if they show up at camp, that's more important.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
without video, impossible to tell, but 5 goals given up on 11 shots in the 3rd? Ouch.

From reading the tweets/stories and looking at the numbers, it appears that Fleury, Tolchinsky, and Pesce kinda stood out for the Canes (and maybe Wallmark). I'd have to say McGinn and Carrick were pretty disappointing given that they've already had a pro season under their belts and people had thoughts they might crack the line-up sooner than some of these other guys. Would have been nice to see them step up and stand out like Rask did last year. Hard to say for sure without watching the games, but they didn't seem to leave a positive impact.

Offensively, here are the numbers:

Fleury: 0G, 6A, +5
Tolchinsky: 3G, 1A, +5
Walmark: 3G, 1A, +4
Pesce: 2G, 1A, -1
PDG: 2G, 0A, +3 (1G was EN)
Bishop: 1G, 1A, -1
McKeown: 1G, 1A, +3
Slavin: 0G, 2A, -1
Smallman: 1G, 0A, -1
Lorentz: 1G, 0A, -1
Sandlak: 0G, 1A, -1

That's it for the scoring, but other notables:

McGinn: 0G, 0A, -1
Carrick: 0G, 0A, -1
Wesley: 0G, 0A, -3 (2GP)

One quick nit pick...Wallmark had 1g and 3a.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Some tidbits from Chip's tweets:

Canes president Don Waddell, speaking to Raleigh Sports Club, says "This franchise in not leaving Raleigh."

Waddell says Canes not rebuilding but retooling. Notes buyout of Semin, says there's a "commitment to winning."

Waddell, asked about prospects, said Canes "might have the five best defensive prospects in the league."

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, with tweets you can never tell, but I interpreted it as the "best group of 5" and not the top 5 individually. I don't he would include Faulk as a prospect, but maybe Murphy?

Hanifin, Fleury, Pesce, and two of Murphy, McKeown , Carrick?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
22. Carolina’s Noah Hanifin is another big-time film watcher. He’ll watch all his shifts post-game, but also makes sure to analyze the likes of Duncan Keith. What does he look for? “How he reads the play,” the fifth-overall selection answered at the NHL Rookie Showcase. “How does he defend an odd-man rush, how does he know when to take a risk so that it doesn’t hurt his team?” Hanifin says he knows that, as a rookie, his mistakes will be heavily scrutinized, but knows he’s not helping the Hurricanes if he’s too cautious to try.

Friedman's 30 thoughts: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not trying to re-start the whole Semin debate again, but I though Waddell's comments were the most direct and descriptive of the situation.

“Alexander Semin was a very top-end player in the league when the game was played at a slower pace,” Waddell said. “It’s now played at such a high level if you can’t skate it’s hard to compete. Alex lost a step and he tried to play on the outside too much because he didn’t have the speed.

“And then he didn’t buy into the culture that our coach (Bill Peters) was trying to get in the locker room. When you go to practice and you have 22 guys doing things the way the coach wants and one who doesn’t, it usually doesn’t end well. … In simple terms, we paid him $14 million to go away.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article35483391.html#storylink=cpy

At the time of the buyout, I had stated that I would have preferred that the Canes give it 1 more year to see if he bounces back (particularly because of his wrist injury). Looks like the relationship was just so bad that there was no salvaging it.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I would prefer the organization to take a pass on commenting on Semin at this point...all these things have been said in the past, he was bought out, and now on someone else's team. Continuing to speak disparagingly of him to the press reflects poorly on the team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would prefer the organization to take a pass on commenting on Semin at this point...all these things have been said in the past, he was bought out, and now on someone else's team. Continuing to speak disparagingly of him to the press reflects poorly on the team.

For the most part, I agree, except in this case, he was specifically asked and was being open and honest.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

From the article though it looks like it wasn't so much that Waddell spoke disparagingly of him to the press but was asked specifically what went wrong with Semin. Personally I appreciate an actual answer to the question as opposed to obfuscation.

At any rate, the other take-aways from his talk before the Raleigh Sports Club

• The team is still for sale, but relocation from Raleigh is NOT being contemplated - "This franchise eventually will get sold, but it’s not leaving Raleigh."
  • Waddell has purchased a house in Raleigh and he "wouldn’t be buying a house if I thought we were leaving the city."
  • A $50M - $70M expansion/renovation of PNC Arena is being planned
  • While average attendance went down last year, the team also reduced the number of complimentary and reduced tickets to put more of a premium on STHs
  • # of STHs has increased by an unspecified amount - first time in the last six years that there's been growth among the STH base
  • Waddell not opposed to ads so long as they're limited to a small patch near the shoulder on home jerseys only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad