Pre-Game Talk: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins 4/23 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Coincidence. I know, it happens. McIlrath being scratched is not the reason we lost

Nope. But why not bring in the most physical defensemen when a physical presence is needed? Besides, just knowing he's in the lineup might inspire others to be more physical, knowing he has their back. Certainly better than Boyle the turnover machine.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they can't score on a rookie goalie that has stepped in cold. A scrawny 22 year old ROOKIE that was called up mid-season. :baghead:

I thought the 2008 post-season matchup was bad, but this is way worse. Atleast those old farts tried.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Coincidence. I know, it happens. McIlrath being scratched is not the reason we lost

Do you not like McIrath? If so, why? what about his game do you have a problem with?

Because I see a young player, first year in the NHL that can lay huge body checks, stands up for his teammates, is strong enough to clear the front of the net, patient with the puck, makes some great up ice passes, and can get his shot through traffic on net, which is a rocket of a shot. He isn't the fastest skater, but has figured out how to effective in the NHL despite that.

I don't want him in the lineup just to fight or to hit the opposition, like Brashear, I want him in because he is a very capable defenseman in the NHL and looks better than most of our other dmen this year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do you not like McIrath? If so, why? what about his game do you have a problem with?

Because I see a young player, first year in the NHL that can lay huge body checks, stands up for his teammates, is strong enough to clear the front of the net, patient with the puck, makes some great up ice passes, and can get his shot through traffic on net, which is a rocket of a shot. He isn't the fastest skater, but has figured out how to effective in the NHL despite that.

I don't want him in the lineup just to fight or to hit the opposition, like Brashear, I want him in because he is a very capable defenseman in the NHL and looks better than most of our other dmen this year.

I like McIlrath and think he can be a good D-man on this team but I refuse to believe that he was the reason we won game 2. Again, he played 9 minutes. Skjei played twice as much.

McIlrath is a bottom-pairing D-man at the moment and hopefully he can become a 2nd pairing D-man if he develops. A good kid to have but when McDonagh comes back, it is an easy decision. Skjei has been better than McIlrath. I would have scratched Staal, but it didn't happen.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they can't score on a rookie goalie that has stepped in cold. A scrawny 22 year old ROOKIE that was called up mid-season. :baghead:

I thought the 2008 post-season matchup was bad, but this is way worse. Atleast those old farts tried.

Don't downplay Murray, he's an extremely legit prospect. His age, and rookie status mean nothing. He's got all the physical, and mental tools to be an future NHL All-Star.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I like McIlrath and think he can be a good D-man on this team but I refuse to believe that he was the reason we won game 2. Again, he played 9 minutes. Skjei played twice as much.

McIlrath is a bottom-pairing D-man at the moment and hopefully he can become a 2nd pairing D-man if he develops. A good kid to have but when McDonagh comes back, it is an easy decision. Skjei has been better than McIlrath. I would have scratched Staal, but it didn't happen.

Okay good, and I agree with that. You wouldn't be for replacing Boyle with McIlrath? Obviously AV won't do it, but I think McI is a better dman than Boyle is.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Don't downplay Murray, he's an extremely legit prospect. His age, and rookie status mean nothing. He's got all the physical, and mental tools to be an future NHL All-Star.

I hear you, but this is still a rookie that is in the dance for the very first time. We haven't made it difficult for him however.

All in all, this ****ing sucks.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I hear you, but this is still a rookie that is in the dance for the very first time. We haven't made it difficult for him however.

This is the first I have seen of Murray so you may all be right, but the Rangers have not tested him at all in the games he has played. Pretty frustrating to watch.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It's all that Vitamin C, man; not even fair.

xzDfBRY.png

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Nope. But why not bring in the most physical defensemen when a physical presence is needed? Besides, just knowing he's in the lineup might inspire others to be more physical, knowing he has their back. Certainly better than Boyle the turnover machine.

Physicality might be the only thing the Rangers haven't lacked in this series.

This has nothing to do with whether McIlrath should be in the lineup.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is the first I have seen of Murray so you may all be right, but the Rangers have not tested him at all in the games he has played. Pretty frustrating to watch.

This is just not true. Specially yesterday, there were many top notch-chances. And iirc there was at least (!) one real show-stopper, jaw-dropper-save.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
LOL at people thinking the Rangers need to be physical to win. No they need to generate scoring chances, and keep puck possession. Hits don't win you the game

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Stepan-Kreider
Lindberg/Hayes-Staal-Stalberg
Fast-Moore-Hayes/Lindberg

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi/Skeji

Run something to this extent out there.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Bench Boyle.

I second that but that would be too easy so lets do the complete opposite and play him with probably our best offensive d men and totally neutralize yandle and make the pairing abominable in their own end

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
LOL at people thinking the Rangers need to be physical to win. No they need to generate scoring chances, and keep puck possession. Hits don't win you the game

True but when your getting smashed at home 5-0 if would be nice to show some kind of life maybe even rattle the guy that almost took off one of your players heads and got away with it scot free

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Stepan-Kreider
Lindberg/Hayes-Staal-Stalberg
Fast-Moore-Hayes/Lindberg

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi/Skeji

Run something to this extent out there.

Noooo! Makes too much sense! Where's the super pairing of Boyle and yandle? Why pair mcilrath and yandle together who actually have chemistry and look good together. In fact we will never know how good they will be cause yandle will be gone and mcilrath will probably be lucky to sniff time next year as well because its obvious AV does not like him at all

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
True but when your getting smashed at home 5-0 if would be nice to show some kind of life maybe even rattle the guy that almost took off one of your players heads and got away with it scot free

What would that do? That would contribute nothing but probably a penalty against the Rangers.

Hitting or Fighting senselessly does not indicate "showing life" to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad