Pre-Game Talk: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins 4/23 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Turning to an old friend today for some help. Baby Sinclair. May his powers look over us this afternoon and the rest of this series. Go out there and win a ****ing game. LGR.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
This is positively astounding (Brooks, NYP): "Boyle has been on the ice for one five-on-four PPG since Christmas (on Feb. 17) covering 87:39 during the regular season and 11:36 this series."

Guy is so done and gets trotted out there like it's 2004 again. Reminds me of MSL last year. AV doesn't seem to recognize declines in play.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
yup....history of this team / organization

I mean hell if you really look at 94 there were so many times we almost choked the final...lol and that was Messier and the 94 team we are talking about FFS!

They won the Cup, and they almost choked and were too fragile?

Ya can't make this stuff up.

If the Rangers won 16 in a row in the playoffs, some fans would still have something to ***** about.

"Their power play just don't look right. They better address that in the off-season".

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
We lost to the Kings because we took our foot off the gas and allowed them to pepper away at us until they got a bounce. We had the perfect gameplan against them until the third periods started, and then we just stopped playing hockey.

We likely win that series with a better coach. That was Torts' team mostly as well. He brought in and developed many of those guys. Not shocking that when AV's lessons started to take shape the team defense fell off a cliff and has severely continue to deteriorate.

He's been propped up by two of the best netminders in history.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
but why in the playoffs? how do they have no trouble from mid season of 2013-2014 to 2014-2015 being one of the highest scoring teams in the league while registering many 3 or over goal games along with Nash potting over 40 goals again but they can't score in the playoffs....when it matters most? like game 7 at home vs the bolts last year?

how do you account for that? how many consecutive playoff games at home have we been limited to scoring less than 3 now?

For starters, the competition is better. Secondly, it's usually much tighter checking in the playoffs.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
They won the Cup, and they almost choked and were too fragile?

Ya can't make this stuff up.

If the Rangers won 16 in a row in the playoffs, some fans would still have something to ***** about.

"Their power play just don't look right. They better address that in the off-season".

ummm...yeah dude

they blew a 3-1 series lead and almost allowed Nathan Lafayette to tie game 7 hitting the post with 3 minutes left...to me that's "almost choking "

also allowing the devils to tie game 7 with 8 seconds left ...almost choking

Deleted member 23124

Why the hell did they play their best game of the year against Detroit,.
OK -- maybe I missed something. I honestly don't understand why people say this. I was at this game and I haven't spoken to one person who thinks it's true. The game was a snoozefest for two periods.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
ummm...yeah dude

they blew a 3-1 series lead and almost allowed Nathan Lafayette to tie game 7 hitting the post with 3 minutes left...to me that's "almost choking "

also allowing the devils to tie game 7 with 8 seconds left ...almost choking

You've invented a new concept with "almost choking".

You really don't understand that you could probably make the same statement about every Cup winner?

When the Kings beat us, you could have used your newly coined concept to describe the Kings numerous times in the playoffs before they won.

Dude.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
OK -- maybe I missed something. I honestly don't understand why people say this. I was at this game and I haven't spoken to one person who thinks it's true. The game was a snoozefest for two periods.

Probably because whoever said that watched the last Islanders game. And boy not that was a solid amount of not trying making the wings game look like a game 7. AV did it wrong it's not even a question.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Rangers offense struggles more at home because most opponents play a lot more conservatively on the road. Road teams generally seek to minimize the offensive opportunities of the home team so they can neutralize the crowd and prevent the home team from feeding off their fans' energy. Tampa in the ECF was a good example of this - they played looser at home, giving the Rangers more time and space, and on the road they tightened up and limited our chances.

The Rangers have issues when teams clog the middle of the ice, in both the neutral zone and in the offensive zone when the players are kept to the outside. They are unable or refuse to adapt (per Stepan's comment about their stubbornness the other day) when opponents play like this. And for whatever reason, whenever an opponent comes into the Garden and plays a conservative game, the Rangers seem unprepared for it, even though its fairly common for road teams to tighten up.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Turning to an old friend today for some help. Baby Sinclair. May his powers look over us this afternoon and the rest of this series. Go out there and win a ****ing game. LGR.
tumblr_mm6nfeAT8k1ri355io3_500.gif

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
Have you never watched playoff hockey? Its all about the physical grind. Especially against a team like the penguins. You have to grind them down. Its why the pretty tic-tac-toe goals off the rush don't work and why the Rangers aren't scoring. They threw more hits in game 2 than in most of the rest of the series.

i seen and played more hockey then you could imagine my friend, of course its grind then down hockey in the playoffs, We won the game like i said in previous comments today, They playedas a team on all cylinders, forwards created offence, the defence played well, and The KING stopped the puck! Nothing to do with our 9 min man!!

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
You've invented a new concept with "almost choking".

You really don't understand that you could probably make the same statement about every Cup winner?

When the Kings beat us, you could have used your newly coined concept to describe the Kings numerous times in the playoffs before they won.

Dude.

i'm not inventing anything ....dude

and we aren't talking about the kings so please don't change the narrative...we are talking about the rangers and how it's typical of this franchise to choke and not win when it matters most. as evidenced by even our most beloved team, the 94 Rangers, almost blowing it

and quite frankly I don't know if I could make that statement about every cup winner...there have been some dominant cup winners in playoff history...isles come to mind here

and the rangers being up in the SCF 3-1 and allowing the Canucks not to only tie the series but to almost tie game 7 with 3 min left hitting the post is almost choking.....especially...ya know... when you are trying to end a 54 year cup drought...this is the rangers we are talking about

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Scored some tickets in a suite from work. I also got tickets to game 1 through work.

My co-workers haven't been too happy given in the only Rangers fan in an office full of Penguins fans :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is positively astounding (Brooks, NYP): "Boyle has been on the ice for one five-on-four PPG since Christmas (on Feb. 17) covering 87:39 during the regular season and 11:36 this series."

That is beyond amazing. The guy has failed miserably. I would rather see Klein or even mcilrath on the pp. how anyone would still wanna see him in lineup is beyond me. Isn't that equal about 50 powerplays??? And he basically neutralizes yandle as well. He's such a detriment to this team it's beyond explanation

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Why does AV fully trust Brady Skjei, but bear an apparent dislike of McIlrath?

Probably exactly for the reason Brooks stated. Management forced him to make a roster decision and he apparently does not like that. I mean we have no proof that the guy is a roster dictator, but every stupid move he makes sure does point to that. So because management made him keep McIlrath around, AV takes it out on him by playing anyone but him to prove a point or be a dick. He must not have liked his game to begin with, but what else but spite and stubbornness explains some of his choices regarding McIlrath?

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
Imagine if Nash and Kreider start going to the crease and laying some hits? Maybe Hank will wake up and go right to ultra-beast mode for the first time all season? Glass mysteriously gets flu like symptoms? Why the hell did they play their best game of the year against Detroit, and then go back to sleep?

I'm almost glad that I have to work today and can't watch live.

Nash went to the crease, bumped a Pen who flopped and drew a penalty, and the Pens went up 2-0.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
That is beyond amazing. The guy has failed miserably. I would rather see Klein or even mcilrath on the pp. how anyone would still wanna see him in lineup is beyond me. Isn't that equal about 50 powerplays??? And he basically neutralizes yandle as well. He's such a detriment to this team it's beyond explanation

Obviously we all want this team to win the cup. That being said, it's much more likely they won't come close as the chance of them winning now is about 1%.

Getting crushed today will likely lead to major changes and at this point, I'm very near hoping that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad