Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers vs Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What other game do they play on ice? Soccer does it the other way. They have ties in the regular season and use the shootout to determine championships.

They are forced to do that, because their playing surface is so huge. I imagine the Soccers Players Association are quite happy with those rules.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am lost. What is your point?

Was the puck conclusively moving toward the goal line, when Bob threw his stick?

If not, then you'll understand my point.

To me it looked close to headed directly towards the sideboard, not the goal line.

We would need the perfect dead on camera angle to know. I know no refs enforce that rule, but it is a rule.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Was the puck conclusively moving toward the goal line, when Bob threw his stick?

If not, then you'll understand my point.

To me it looked close to headed directly towards the sideboard, not the goal line.

We would need the perfect dead on camera angle to know. I know no refs enforce that rule, but it is a rule.
I still don't understand what that has to do with the stick throw.

MagicKuzy

Jun 11, 2018
The player/puck has to move parallel or away from the goal line, geometrically speaking to the 10th of a degree, for this argument to have any relevance. First, you do not need a lot to see that neither is the case (close is not an argument). Second, how do you measure it? Not that you need in the situation in question.
I really see no reason this to be debated at all, unless some insinuation is meant to be used in further arguments that the Caps have no reason to complain about the refs.

PS. You do not need evidence that the player/puck are not moving towards the goal line. You need evidence for the opposite if any. How do you provide it geometrically is very interesting. No wonder this is not enforced, if it is a rule in that sense.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Hilarious. Ovi could of shot 3 pucks into that space. Check the :39 sec mark. Hope someone can post a screenie of this and tag him. Also, you can see 3 refs in the video all close to the play. WTH did they see? This is why I don't trust eye witness testimony.

LOL, All four refs were in the attack zone, stationed at each corner. There were no other players to screen any of them. They huddle and talk about it, and decide "nope, we didn't see him throwing that stick". Toronto calls down and asks "WTF Are you blind mice looking at"? To quote Eddie O, about 30 seconds earlier, right as it happened "Thats a goal, he threw his stick at him". Refs like "Um, we weren't looking"

Reactions: calicapsfan

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Hilarious. Ovi could of shot 3 pucks into that space. Check the :39 sec mark. Hope someone can post a screenie of this and tag him. Also, you can see 3 refs in the video all close to the play. WTH did they see? This is why I don't trust eye witness testimony.

The moment the refs come out of the huddle and make the no goal sign with no regard for how the stickwas thrown, it really struck me what an absolute farce officiating in pro sports has become.

Maybe there's an obscure rule that allows goalies to hurl sticks at players in the shootout. If so, kudos to the refs for knowing it. But yea, just the image of the no goal call after the absurdity of watching a stick get chucked at a player? Idk. f***ing clown show

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still don't understand what that has to do with the stick throw.

They are 2 different things - they can be totally independent.

But you know what, they could be connected. Think about it. Why in the world would a goalie throw his stick in the middle of a shootout? Have you ever seen such a thing?

I will throw out a little theory. Ovi, at the last moment, moving the puck laterally towards the sideboards, was a factor in what the goalie did. G went for a desperation last minute poke check. Only, with the puck moving almost directly towards the sideboards than the goal line, he had no chance of succeeding.

Ovi teased him and didn't shoot. In doing so, the goalie was committed and basically gave up, and tossed the twig.

I don't think many people know the rule so this seemed like a good time to talk about it. Turns out, even I was wrong. I thought the skater had to always move towards the goal line, when it's actually the puck.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
What other game do they play on ice?
uh, curling?

Soccer does it the other way. They have ties in the regular season and use the shootout to determine championships.

That's not the full story. Step one is to play a 30-minute OT period, which they do not have in the RS. The OT is not 9v9 or 7v7 but full squads, unless a player has been sent off via red card. The shootout only happens if the teams are tied after OT. Current rules usually do not award a "golden goal" (i.e., not sudden death), so more than one goal is possible in the OT.

Yep. My problem is that they are awarding points, before the game is even over. :loony:

Easy solution ... Lose the game, get zero points.

imo, the 3v3 is exciting, the shootout gimmick not worth the effort. Ovie's "goal" won the game, but it won't show up in the stats. Holtby's "save" on Rag shooter #4 put Ovie in a position to win the game, but that stat doesn't count. Most sports are stat-driven, and core fans are into the data. But the league has set up a system for awarding standings points that doesn't count player contributions in its basic measurements of player performance. Awkward.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They are 2 different things - they can be totally independent.

But you know what, they could be connected. Think about it. Why in the world would a goalie throw his stick in the middle of a shootout? Have you ever seen such a thing?

I will throw out a little theory. Ovi, at the last moment, moving the puck laterally towards the sideboards, was a factor in what the goalie did. G went for a desperation last minute poke check. Only, with the puck moving almost directly towards the sideboards than the goal line, he had no chance of succeeding.

Ovi teased him and didn't shoot. In doing so, the goalie was committed and basically gave up, and tossed the twig.

I don't think many people know the rule so this seemed like a good time to talk about it. Turns out, even I was wrong. I thought the skater had to always move towards the goal line, when it's actually the puck.
Ok. I honestly didn’t understand, but now I do. I really do wonder what Georgiev was thinking. Maybe just a brain fart born of standing on his head all game and having it come down to him vs. Ovechkin... Who knows, but chances were if Ovie took the shot the Rangers were gonna lose anyway, so perhaps he was hoping for what he got: absurd reffing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
uh, curling?

That's not the full story. Step one is to play a 30-minute OT period, which they do not have in the RS. The OT is not 9v9 or 7v7 but full squads,
Easy solution ... Lose the game, get zero points.

imo, the 3v3 is exciting, the shootout gimmick not worth the effort..

Curling. Ha. You funny!

Even with 30 mins of full squad OT MLS games last season ended in a tie at least 20% of the time it looks like. That's not viable in the NHL.

70-80% of NHL fans last research I saw did not want to pay money to see or watch on tv a tie. Nobody wants Ov and Kuzy and Carlson skating 30 mins on the front end of a back to back in 5 on 5 unlimited OT. To get a winner within the limited time provided by tv and required travel this is the best option. Gimmick or not.

The NHL and its TV partners and most to all of their major advertising partners all do this research. They spend millions of dollars on it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The player/puck has to move parallel or away from the goal line, geometrically speaking to the 10th of a degree, for this argument to have any relevance. First, you do not need a lot to see that neither is the case (close is not an argument). Second, how do you measure it? Not that you need in the situation in question.
I really see no reason this to be debated at all, unless some insinuation is meant to be used in further arguments that the Caps have no reason to complain about the refs.

PS. You do not need evidence that the player/puck are not moving towards the goal line. You need evidence for the opposite if any. How do you provide it geometrically is very interesting. No wonder this is not enforced, if it is a rule in that sense.

Thanks for chiming in. Shootouts are now such a HUGE part of the standings, why not scrutinize the procedure once a decade, or lifetime.

My take. I don't think moving parallel with the goal line, is towards the goal, as they will never cross. And even if it was considered towards the goal, it would only take a .001 degree change for it not to be. Whatever, at that point we are splitting hairs anyways.

I will throw out a controversial statement.

The refs actually know that the goalie cannot throw his stick, and if he does, that it's a goal. Maybe they were reviewing the puck moving towards the goal line or not, exactly what we have been talking about.

/duckshead
//logsoffHF

I wish a local beatnik reporter would inquire to the league for clarification as to why there was such a lengthy discussion.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't get the hate for the current OT format. Teams have 65 minutes to beat the other team if they don't want the game to be decided in a skills competition. I love 3-on-3 as it's normally the fastest and highest skilled players that go straight up head-to-head. Ditto for the shootout. Our goalie and our best talents vs yours.

What I don't like is the NFL OT format. I hate that both teams aren't guaranteed the ball.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Even with 30 mins of full squad OT MLS games last season ended in a tie at least 20% of the time it looks like. That's not viable in the NHL.

The 20 percent number seems to be about the right percentage of ties in regular season matches, and again those games do not include overtime. It looks like 1 out of the 5 MLS playoff matches that were single game, winner-take-all affairs ended regulation in a tie and required OT and then a SO. So small sample size but consistent.

70-80% of NHL fans last research I saw did not want to pay money to see or watch on tv a tie.

This is good. I supposed some data existed. Nate Silver says, "The NHL claims that 70 percent to 80 percent of its fans like the shootout but has never made any detailed data on this available to the public." (A Radical Proposal To Destroy The NHL’s Loser Point)

I wonder what other fan opinions they have data on. Lower-priced tickets? More goonery, or less? Cheaper concessions? Introduce topless ice girls? Give the people what they want, but not really.

Nobody wants Ov and Kuzy and Carlson skating 30 mins on the front end of a back to back in 5 on 5 unlimited OT. To get a winner within the limited time provided by tv and required travel this is the best option. Gimmick or not.

Not sure where the the ice time and unlimited OT concerns come from. The NFL, in a 16-game schedule, settles for a few ties here and there. With 82 games, the NHL can afford to as well.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I can’t believe 70-80 percent like the shootout. Most nhl fans are diehard and it doesn’t seem to fit that narrative. Also I don’t have any hockey fans in my circles that like it. I honestly don’t trust those numbers

Also; not liking ties does not mean “likes shootouts.”

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Old school, just return to the old format that had been around for 50 plus years. Win = 2 points, tie = 1 point, no overtime except in the playoffs. No shootouts!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't understand all the hate for the shootout. You had 60+ whole minutes to outscore the other team.
Its fair. Everybody goes one by one in a civilized fashion. I'm not even pissed at my team for when they lose in shootouts. OT losses are what sting!

Reactions: ovikovy817

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I did sort of like actually watching shootouts at first, even though I really hated and still do hate the idea of it being worth an entire point in the standings. But now the novelty has worn out and I find watching them is mostly annoying. Just relief when we win them. It feels like a cheap way to win.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Old school, just return to the old format that had been around for 50 plus years. Win = 2 points, tie = 1 point, no overtime except in the playoffs. No shootouts!
Ties are the worst.

With how high ticket prices are these days too - no one wants to spend a lot of money to see a tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad