Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers vs Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Just got home to watch the game on a TV instead of a cell phone. Noticed that in the OT, 3v3, The Caps D that TR used was Orlov, Carlson and Jensen, not Nisky or Kempny. Probably won't matter in the playoffs but it seems that Jensen has solidified himself as top 3 skating D on the team.
That's surprising, since I think Kempny is the better offensive option at D than Jensen.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
f***ing Pens fans are pathetic. Cheering on the Jets to beat Columbus. LOL they must have a lot of faith in their precious Penguins if they are relying on other teams to help get them in the playoffs.
Bunch of dicks.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
****ing Pens fans are pathetic. Cheering on the Jets to beat Columbus. LOL they must have a lot of faith in their precious Penguins if they are relying on other teams to help get them in the playoffs.
Bunch of dicks.
I was rooting for the Jets to beat Columbus and it doesn’t even benefit my team I just think it’s funny and would like to see Ottawa get a higher pick

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There's less incentive now. You're guaranteed a point and might get another by winning one of the gimmicks that don't reflect a real hockey game.

Ya think? If the Caps have a one point division lead against the Pens a tie where neither team gets a point or each team 1 point is just fine for the Caps. For the Pens the Caps don't get any further away. You keep thinking that coaches are going to change their character. They wont. They don't.

The Caps finally won the cup how? Structure and all in commitment to keeping the puck out of their net.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Suuuurrreeeeee....

Georgiev said: "It's tough to explain, but he faked the shot and I went down earlier, and then as he was moving, I kind of threw my leg and the stick at the same time. It's a tough call. I feel like I had my pad on the ice at the moment he was about to shoot. It's not like the empty net was there. Tough call."

Ovechkin, Capitals top Rangers in shootout for fourth straight win

Reactions: Blades of Steel

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Lets say Ovi skated directly sideways, right before the stick was thrown.

Is that illegal?

As I remember the rules, it is. You have to skate at the goalie and shoot. You cannot skate perpendicular towards the half wall.

It never gets called sure, but I am just curious of the rules.

Remember, not too many years ago, Ovi would skate straight at the G, & IIRC, as fast as possible. I was thrilled when he started slowing down and giving himself more options.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just saw the highlights -- strangest way to decide a game that I've ever seen.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Lets say Ovi skated directly sideways, right before the stick was thrown.

Is that illegal?

As I remember the rules, it is. You have to skate at the goalie and shoot. You cannot skate perpendicular towards the half wall.

It never gets called sure, but I am just curious of the rules.

Remember, not too many years ago, Ovi would skate straight at the G, & IIRC, as fast as possible. I was thrilled when he started slowing down and giving himself more options.

I think the wording is 'forward momentum' or something like that.
As long as you are in some way moving from centre ice, towards the entire goal line you are ok. I dont think its some kind of trajectory towards the net, just the goal line.

Was interesting to see TR go full Russia in the OT. They defended well too for the most part.
Id still like us to start the OT with puck retrieval and then when we get possession change on the fly to the big boys.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
****ing Pens fans are pathetic. Cheering on the Jets to beat Columbus. LOL they must have a lot of faith in their precious Penguins if they are relying on other teams to help get them in the playoffs.
Bunch of dicks.

How is that pathetic? We root for Metro teams to lose all the time.

Reactions: Misery74

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Id still like us to start the OT with puck retrieval and then when we get possession change on the fly to the big boys.

We did it last year when TR would start Beagle to win the faceoff. But that's obviously not an option anymore.

Who would you start to play a defensive/puck retrieval game? Wilson, Hags and maybe Carlson? Backstrom Wilson? But then who do you pull?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Bunch of dicks.
Their team is average at best now. It looks like they’re gonna be nothing more than average for awhile too. They have some bad contracts. Letang also isn’t that good anymore. When he has to go up against a real team in the playoffs as a #1 D he will get exposed again.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
All but the most blatant penalties were ignored. I’d rather they incentivize a non-OT win with an extra point.

I think tx is reminding us of the risk aspect of the risk-reward equation. The extra point that would incent coaches to get a regulation W also incents them to avoid a regulation loss. If the weaker/away team is tied (or even one goal down) going into the 3rd, dial up boring trap hockey. On the other hand, most soccer leagues give 3 pts to the winner without falling prey to any OTs/gimmicks.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think tx is reminding us of the risk aspect of the risk-reward equation. The extra point that would incent coaches to get a regulation W also incents them to avoid a regulation loss. If the weaker/away team is tied (or even one goal down) going into the 3rd, dial up boring trap hockey. On the other hand, most soccer leagues give 3 pts to the winner without falling prey to any OTs/gimmicks.

Yep. My problem is that they are awarding points, before the game is even over. :loony:

I contend that it causes coaches to play boring hockey (as you said) when it should be the most exciting, during the 3rd period. Why not ramp up incentive in the 3rd, and avoid stars abused in the OT which as Tex implies is likely frowned upon by the NHLPA. And avoid dull endings to games, like yesterdays shootout flop.

The stupid points system dictates that an awful lot of the games decisions and thus standings are based on 3rd period ties, 3 on 3/shootout hockey. Which all have no bearing in playoff games, the ultimate goal.

It just seems wrong in every way.

How to win a game significantly changes, once the playoffs start. What other sport does this?

Last edited:
Reactions: racingmoose

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Kuz is the only one that still worries me. He didn’t have a great game yesterday and it seems he has regressed defensively. Lots of lazy and careless plays, especially on the PP. His one positive was how easy it was for him to carry the puck into the zone. That truly is elite

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's surprising, since I think Kempny is the better offensive option at D than Jensen.

I am not sure they like Kempny as much as Jensen on the defending end of things and Jensen is close enough offensively. They clearly like his skating.

That end Kempny had a broken nose

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Kuz is the only one that still worries me. He didn’t have a great game yesterday and it seems he has regressed defensively. Lots of lazy and careless plays, especially on the PP. His one positive was how easy it was for him to carry the puck into the zone. That truly is elite
He's just not trying very hard. Let's see what he looks like against contenders next week.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How to win a game significantly changes, once the playoffs start. What other sport does this?

What other game do they play on ice? Soccer does it the other way. They have ties in the regular season and use the shootout to determine championships.

ap-quick-hits-the-99ers.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
NHL rule on penalty shots:

Once the player touches the puck, he must keep it moving toward the goal line at all times until the shot is taken

It looks like the puck is moving close to parallel to the goal line, as Bob throws his stick. I bet directly sideways is allowed / too difficult to rule otherwise.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
NHL rule on penalty shots:

Once the player touches the puck, he must keep it moving toward the goal line at all times until the shot is taken

It looks like the puck is moving close to parallel to the goal line, as Bob throws his stick.
I am lost. What is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad