• Poll closed .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
25105616_10203891158517570_1598976709_n.png

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Let me ask you all a question. What is more mediocre than going 1-4 on this road trip with your only win being a 6-5 nail biter against their backup? Not to mention we’re sill 4-7 in our last 11.

Mediocrity has been the the Rangers identity for a long time. Mediocrity... and possibly the best goalie of the past 15 years. For example, Carolina is a team that people recently like to beat up on. I see a lot of “wasn’t Carolina supposed to be good?” and “so much for Carolina building on youth” posts. However, has anyone SEEN Scott Darling as a starter?! They’re barely behind us in the standings. Imagine this team with Darling in net. Last in the conference. No bull****.

It just feels like every time this team is on the verge of a legitimate losing streak worthy of firing AV we pull out a win that takes him off of the hot seat for some reason, even though an ugly, ugly 6-5 win is nothing to be happy about. But he will be secure now, especially with the all star break, for a couple more weeks. His need to be relieved is almost undeniable at this point. I don’t give a **** that we won one game on this trip. Dude needs to go.

We really need to face reality, sell and see where the cards fall for us. Right now, I’m not making the “tear it down and trade everyone” argument. I’m not talking about reading McD or Zucc. I’m just saying, at a minimum, get picks for Nash and Grabner, see where we finish once we’ve moved them, draft 2-3 times in the first round and come back fiercer next year. Please. At this point I can’t pretend to watch each game as a fan who thinks we’re SCF bound and doesn’t care about the future. This is THE perfect year to admit we need to restock.

I understand what you're saying but if Gorton sells intelligently and not for pennies on the dollar I am ok with the team selling and winning/ competing in games. Last thing i want is to create a losing culture here. Its not the end of the world if we sell grabs or Nash (or both) and still somehow make the playoffs.
This team isn't taking. We can still "restock" and root for the team to win and make the playoffs.
Not sure how making the playoffs in pretty much 12 straight seasons is considered mediocre, but Gorton has to be careful to not be deluded into thinking this is a player away from winning the cup this year.
I think we all care about the future of the team on here especially this season.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I understand what you're saying but if Gorton sells intelligently and not for pennies on the dollar I am ok with my team winning and competing in games. Last thing i want is to create a losing culture here. Its not the end of the world if we sell grabs or Nash (or both) and still somehow make the playoffs.
This team isn't taking. We can still "restock" and root for the team to win and make the playoffs.
Not sure how making the playoffs in pretty much 12 straight seasons is considered mediocre, but Gorton has to be careful to not be deluded into thinking this is a player away from winning the cup this year.
I think we all care about the future of the team on here especially this season.

I agree with your post 100% so I just want to clarify one thing.

I said mediocrity has been the team identity for a while and that we’re very mediocre. I also said we’ve had the best goalie in the world of the last 15 years. So making the playoffs 12 years in a row (sort of) isn’t surprising that’s what #1 goalie + #20-10 team gets you. Which is exactly what mediocre means. If you want to tell me that isn’t the Rangers (with exceptions - such as a year or two we were actually better than that as a roster and a few seasons we definitely should have been a lottery team as a roster) identity, we haven’t been fans of the same team.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
We also need to win some games for our players to have adequate level of value for trades since many NHL decision-makers value business-book style “winning” (mentality, experience) more than dumpster-diving to find fancy-stats darlings.

Winning a few games helps to tank. One is not opposed to another.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Stay the course this season. See what you can get for Nash, Holden, DD. Make sure you get full fair value on Grabner. Guy has been competitive beast every game. If we get overpayment for Mcdonagh pull the trigger. Get 2-3 first rounders in 2018 draft . Continue to properly develop lias and filip and even guys like Ronning. Continue to compete and if we make the playoffs its not the worst thing in the world as long as we aren't buyers. Hopefully Kreids and Shatty come back healthy later in season.
Clean house on the coaching staff at end of the season.

Reactions: Ori and Phoicon

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
No, what you just "read" if you want to call what you do reading, is that most of the NHL's announcing teams stink and the Rangers aren't at the bottom end of that list.
Hmm...you did say “opposite” and im pretty sure i know what that means.

So is it my reading or just your misunderstanding of the english language?

Regardless, the Rangers Broadcast team is terrible.

Reactions: leetch99

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I agree with your post 100% so I just want to clarify one thing.

I said mediocrity has been the team identity for a while and that we’re very mediocre. I also said we’ve had the best goalie in the world of the last 15 years. So making the playoffs 12 years in a row (sort of) isn’t surprising that’s what #1 goalie + #20-10 team gets you. Which is exactly what mediocre means. If you want to tell me that isn’t the Rangers (with exceptions - such as a year or two we were actually better than that as a roster and a few seasons we definitely should have been a lottery team as a roster) identity, we haven’t been fans of the same team.

2015-2016 was definitely a season of mediocrity. You can even make a case last season was mediocrity .Many of us were fooled into thinking otherwise with the acquisition of Staal in 2016. But making the ecf twice and scf once in 4 years is something 95 percent of the franchises would sign up for elite goalie or not. So I guess depends how far back you wanna go when calling this team mediocre.

Reactions: NCRanger

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
It seems like a lot of people here are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. If this team is in playoff position at the deadline (or within shot of a playoff spot), they won't be trading Grabner or Nash or anybody that they should, most likely. This organisation doesn't operate within the realms of common sense.

I'd be legitimately shocked if, given the above scenario, some truly awful decisions aren't made that further set this team back down the road. I dread to think which of our younger players/prospects/picks gets traded, but they won't be wearing #40 or #61.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We also need to win some games for our players to have adequate level of value for trades since many NHL decision-makers value business-book style “winning” (mentality, experience) more than dumpster-diving to find fancy-stats darlings.

Winning a few games helps to tank. One is not opposed to another.

Very sensible post. Agreed. Nash is a terrific example. if the guy continues to score probably helps team win but also boosts his trade value.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Let me ask you all a question. What is more mediocre than going 1-4 on this road trip with your only win being a 6-5 nail biter against their backup? Not to mention we’re sill 4-7 in our last 11.

Mediocrity has been the the Rangers identity for a long time. Mediocrity... and possibly the best goalie of the past 15 years. For example, Carolina is a team that people recently like to beat up on. I see a lot of “wasn’t Carolina supposed to be good?” and “so much for Carolina building on youth” posts. However, has anyone SEEN Scott Darling as a starter?! They’re barely behind us in the standings. Imagine this team with Darling in net. Last in the conference. No bull****.

It just feels like every time this team is on the verge of a legitimate losing streak worthy of firing AV we pull out a win that takes him off of the hot seat for some reason, even though an ugly, ugly 6-5 win is nothing to be happy about. But he will be secure now, especially with the all star break, for a couple more weeks. His need to be relieved is almost undeniable at this point. I don’t give a **** that we won one game on this trip. Dude needs to go.

We really need to face reality, sell and see where the cards fall for us. Right now, I’m not making the “tear it down and trade everyone” argument. I’m not talking about reading McD or Zucc. I’m just saying, at a minimum, get picks for Nash and Grabner, see where we finish once we’ve moved them, draft 2-3 times in the first round and come back fiercer next year. Please. At this point I can’t pretend to watch each game as a fan who thinks we’re SCF bound and doesn’t care about the future. This is THE perfect year to admit we need to restock.

There's a chance that Dolan cuts off Gorton's cojones to try and make sure they make the playoffs. I remember the Bruins didn't move Loui Eriksson when he had an expiring contract. They failed to make the playoffs and got nothing. I agree that getting picks for Nash and Grabner is best way to go for sure. Can you get at least a 1st and a 2nd? What's the minimum you would take back for them?

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think I will order a vacation for a week, until later! :)

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It seems like a lot of people here are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. If this team is in playoff position at the deadline (or within shot of a playoff spot), they won't be trading Grabner or Nash or anybody that they should, most likely. This organisation doesn't operate within the realms of common sense.

I'd be legitimately shocked if, given the above scenario, some truly awful decisions aren't made that further set this team back down the road. I dread to think which of our younger players/prospects/picks gets traded, but they won't be wearing #40 or #61.

This is also a good point. Very fair. Especially with the business of making the playoffs.
Also depends how much is being offered for guys like Nash or Grabs. I don't want to see them for pennies on the dollar if its a buyers market.
I truly hope Gorton is smart enough no matter how well we play down the stretch to not touch any of the younger players/prospects and PICKS!!!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There's a chance that Dolan cuts off Gorton's cojones to try and make sure they make the playoffs. I remember the Bruins didn't move Loui Eriksson when he had an expiring contract. They failed to make the playoffs and got nothing. I agree that getting picks for Nash and Grabner is best way to go for sure. Can you get at least a 1st and a 2nd? What's the minimum you would take back for them?
Minimum i would take is first for grabs. i would take a 2nd and 3rd for nash albeit i could see GM's thinking the opposite based on nash. Honestly if we are offered only a second for grabs i would rather keep him and sign him for 2-3 more years. Guy is in ridiculous shape.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Gorton decides to buy for some reason down the stretch we are doomed.
On other hand, we shouldn't get totally pissed off if he doesn't sell someone like grabner because i could see some teams really low balling offers on him

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Thats a good example. Makes it tough since the trade deadline is what less than a month???
Thats what Gorton gets paid the big bucks for. He has to make the tough decision in trading nash and grabs much sooner than the end of the season.
Guys like DD and Holden should be no brainer . if you can get some picks for them do it

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Rangers had a good first two periods. Best hockey they have played all season IMO. But the 3rd period was just a typical 3rd period with a lead.[/QUOT

Yep, it was a typical 3rd period for the Rangers--they've won every game when they have a lead entering a period.

People should give both teams credit--both played hard, even though both teams were without key players. San Jose showed why they are good team.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Thank god. Still a bunch of issues to work through, but great to see some sustained offense and positive plays. Hayes was massive and everyone seemed to slot into their proper spots.

And if I went 0-4 on this road trip, I’m pretty sure I’d never go to another game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad