Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at San Jose Sharks - January 25/26

Three stars vs. San Jose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ugly game. The crowd which is usually hot in SJ (I've been there as well and can firsthand say they have an excellent fanbase) was very sedate this game. That added to the "I want to go to sleep" mood.

Defensively Rangers were mostly a mess besides a few good plays Fast and Vesey made. Pavelec was also a mess...and made some highlight real saves (I still wanted Darcy Kuemper in the offseason and hope they can correct that wrong this summer).

Zuc looked better, I've been very hard on him lately. Maybe he breaks out of his 10-12 quiet games which happen every year and gets hot.

Pretty sure Lettieri is going back to Hartford for both cap room and to keep developing plus with the addition of McLeod and need for centers=23 man roster limit, we might not see him back up rest of the year :( He had a nice internship, knows what he needs to do for Camp this fall.

I don't think anyone here needs to be nervous about losing younger players or picks if this team is hovering around the playoffs unless you're really a huge fan of Graves/Tambo/Gropp/Gettinger/Fogarty. Other than that, they're not trading Chytil/Anderson/Shesty/Huska/Baron/Day/Ronning who are the top 7 nowadays. If anything, one of those B prospects above gets moved with a 3rd rounder for a Plekanec like player to play 3C.

It's a good time for the break not only for the players, but for us. Been a very up and down year and let's be real, this might be the 3rd most unlikeable roster since the 2005-06 "reboot" of the league. Everyone can chill, take a week off from hockey, and come back Feb 1st for what will surely be a frustrating game vs. Toronto who seems to give the Rangers fits the last 2-3 years.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
There's a chance that Dolan cuts off Gorton's cojones to try and make sure they make the playoffs. I remember the Bruins didn't move Loui Eriksson when he had an expiring contract. They failed to make the playoffs and got nothing. I agree that getting picks for Nash and Grabner is best way to go for sure. Can you get at least a 1st and a 2nd? What's the minimum you would take back for them?

Minimum is definitely 2nd + for each. Obviously there’s a multitude of ways packages can be built but realistically they should each fetch a 1st. Understanding that teams are wont to part with 1sts, price starts at 2nd +.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
We also need to win some games for our players to have adequate level of value for trades since many NHL decision-makers value business-book style “winning” (mentality, experience) more than dumpster-diving to find fancy-stats darlings.

Winning a few games helps to tank. One is not opposed to another.
The guys on the block have won before.. Rick Nash has a couple gold metals, zucc has all that playoff experience, grabner has played playoff hockey and looked good. I’m not concerned about that

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
25105616_10203891158517570_1598976709_n.png
Take that garbage to the advanced stats thread space man

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I drank too much beertorade during the 2nd period and fell asleep at the beginning of the 3rd. No hangover. Going to go check the spreadsheets now.

Reactions: Ail

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Pavelec was horrible really only reason sharks were in that game.

We prob should have won in Anaheim as well with any kind of average goaltending.

I’m still amazed av tried to play ha k 3 games in 4. Nights on the west coast total moron move.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
It was even more brutal in person

I told my friend I was with (who knows little about hockey) “now that they got the lead, they’re gonna play boring, safe hockey for the rest of the game”
More like unsafe hockey. For them to play that way "safely" they need to efficiently move the puck out of the zone when the chance comes. And disrupt the other team's rushes in the neutral zone and at the blue line. None of which they can do.

It's like shutdown D without the shutdown. How I've missed it.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Let me ask you all a question. What is more mediocre than going 1-4 on this road trip with your only win being a 6-5 nail biter against their backup? Not to mention we’re sill 4-7 in our last 11.

Mediocrity has been the the Rangers identity for a long time. Mediocrity... and possibly the best goalie of the past 15 years. For example, Carolina is a team that people recently like to beat up on. I see a lot of “wasn’t Carolina supposed to be good?” and “so much for Carolina building on youth” posts. However, has anyone SEEN Scott Darling as a starter?! They’re barely behind us in the standings. Imagine this team with Darling in net. Last in the conference. No bull****.

It just feels like every time this team is on the verge of a legitimate losing streak worthy of firing AV we pull out a win that takes him off of the hot seat for some reason, even though an ugly, ugly 6-5 win is nothing to be happy about. But he will be secure now, especially with the all star break, for a couple more weeks. His need to be relieved is almost undeniable at this point. I don’t give a **** that we won one game on this trip. Dude needs to go.

We really need to face reality, sell and see where the cards fall for us. Right now, I’m not making the “tear it down and trade everyone” argument. I’m not talking about reading McD or Zucc. I’m just saying, at a minimum, get picks for Nash and Grabner, see where we finish once we’ve moved them, draft 2-3 times in the first round and come back fiercer next year. Please. At this point I can’t pretend to watch each game as a fan who thinks we’re SCF bound and doesn’t care about the future. This is THE perfect year to admit we need to restock.

Their backup was 12-3 coming in and they did score 6 goals against him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
On their **** backup, yes....

They also gave up 5 with our backup playing pretty outstandingly...

We look like 2010-2015 penguins out there. All offense, nice goaltending, no defense
Dell is actually really good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->