Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at San Jose Sharks - January 25/26

Three stars vs. San Jose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
What he said.

Without Henrik being a God most of this season the rangers are a bottom 5 team in the nhl pretty easily.
Agreed. When Hank was average after the first couple of weeks the team looked just as bad as when Hank was REALLY off to start, and the team lost just as much too. Because we need at least A- level goaltending or better to have a solid shot at winning. Sure, we can luck our way to a few wins without it, but that's about it. The defensive play is just too pourous.

There really have only been a couple of decently played defensive games this year, and really how much of that is due to our guys' focus and play, versus the opposition having an off night?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I just rewatched the game. McD scored but was weak in front of his net especially on the fifth goal just watch him. Skjei is a train wreck defensively. Every time I saw Zibenejad he was either getting knocked on his ass or losing a board battle. Kid is soooooooooooo soft

McDonagh has always been bad in front of his own net. For a guy who's quite strong he should be better. Maybe it's a coaching thing, maybe he just doesn't have the instincts for it. It's his one real weakness

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
McDonagh has always been bad in front of his own net. For a guy who's quite strong he should be better. Maybe it's a coaching thing, maybe he just doesn't have the instincts for it. It's his one real weakness

In all fairness , being a crease clearer is not as easy as it once was in the 200 lb. player NHL

Not to mention, the change in near crease cross checking rules.

I’m more concerned about his postitioning and preventing players cutting in particularly on his soft shouder side.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I understand what you're saying but if Gorton sells intelligently and not for pennies on the dollar I am ok with the team selling and winning/ competing in games. Last thing i want is to create a losing culture here. Its not the end of the world if we sell grabs or Nash (or both) and still somehow make the playoffs.
This team isn't taking. We can still "restock" and root for the team to win and make the playoffs.
Not sure how making the playoffs in pretty much 12 straight seasons is considered mediocre, but Gorton has to be careful to not be deluded into thinking this is a player away from winning the cup this year.
I think we all care about the future of the team on here especially this season.
I think that the whole mediocre narrative started in all sorts of NYR related forums back in 08, 09 bc rather than tank until we could build a contender we started signing a boatload of disastrous free agents and hovered around the 8 seed. Despite not tanking, all the youth the team stockpiled finally came into its own and the team spent 4 solid years contending for the cup and the top seeding in the East. Now that (mostly AV along with some trades I really disagreed with like Clowe, MSl and E. Staal) the team has fallen back to Earth for 2 seasons suddenly "we were always mediocre" again.Too many people take a myopic view of team building and franchise success. That's why a lot of people are incorrectly citing the loss of Stepan and Girardi as causes of this team's struggles.People also should more frequently take into account how absolutely debilitating the loss of Cherepanov and Sauer and Staal's eye were. To have huge talents like that have career/life altering/ending injuries like they did cost the NYR a cup or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think that the whole mediocre narrative started in all sorts of NYR related forums back in 08, 09 bc rather than tank until we could build a contender we started signing a boatload of disastrous free agents and hovered around the 8 seed. Despite not tanking, all the youth the team stockpiled finally came into its own and the team spent 4 solid years contending for the cup and the top seeding in the East. Now that (mostly AV along with some trades I really disagreed with like Clowe, MSl and E. Staal) the team has fallen back to Earth for 2 seasons suddenly "we were always mediocre" again.Too many people take a myopic view of team building and franchise success. That's why a lot of people are incorrectly citing the loss of Stepan and Girardi as causes of this team's struggles.People also should more frequently take into account how absolutely debilitating the loss of Cherepanov and Sauer and Staal's eye were. To have huge talents like that have career/life altering/ending injuries like they did cost the NYR a cup or two.

Excellent take.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Holden has always been a 3rd pair guy in my opinion - his talent is very limited.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If Gorton decides to buy for some reason down the stretch we are doomed.
On other hand, we shouldn't get totally pissed off if he doesn't sell someone like grabner because i could see some teams really low balling offers on him
There is absolutely NO WAY that teams will low ball for Grabs. All you need are 2 teams that "really want him" and there will be no doubt there will be. I predict we will GET exactly what we want for him......if not more and will also say I think we get him back for next year. This system is perfect for him, loves his teammates.......unless AV is gone.

Reactions: bl02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Thats a good example. Makes it tough since the trade deadline is what less than a month???
Thats what Gorton gets paid the big bucks for. He has to make the tough decision in trading nash and grabs much sooner than the end of the season.
Guys like DD and Holden should be no brainer . if you can get some picks for them do it
Defense a premium come PO's. Despite what we may feel about Holden, he's experienced, not horrible defensively and provides decent offense if given the chance. Haven't seen him do that this year as much, which leaves me scratching my head. Maybe soon, as it seems AV really let our D jump in last game.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What's more unlikely?

1. McD scoring 2 goals in a period
2. Grabs getting 2 assists
3. A PPG in 4 straight games
4. AV spitting out his gum

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don’t know what to think about this team. They are Bi-Polar. Are they selling or not? I hate false hope.

Anyway good for Mac to finally get on the Goal column.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
An important win. A good thrilling game. And again it's a pleasure to see the performance of Miller and Hayes.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad