GDT: New York Rangers at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - SN1 - The 3rd Period Starts Now

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Awful game.

Heard so much about them turning a corner and was looking forward to seeing it. They sucked.
They looked pretty good until the 4v4 goal Korpisalo whiffed on.

I remember the year we got Hasek and everyone had an extra jump in the step and confidence. It's been the exact opposite with the goaltending this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Korpisalo gets waived once Forsberg is back.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Reporting back to @JD1 : left downtown at 5:45pm-ish, got past security at 6:30pm. Honestly, security is what took the longest, as I had to wait for my gf/wife to get through the one line they had for people with a handbag or purse.

Game was obviously disappointing, especially given the good start.

Attachments

• bradybobble2-mini.jpg
    bradybobble2-mini.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Besides the goalie being completely uselessin the 2nd our offense was bad as well. Gone was the sustained attack and cycling we had seen in recent games. I love Giroux but man hit the freaking net from the slot. How many one timers did he have there and Quick didn’t even need to make a save.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
As soon as there is any tiny bit of adversity, they fold like a wet noodle.
I've been away. Missed the last half dozen games. Following mostly thru here. I was really looking forward to seeing the game. It was awful. You can't win with goaltending like that. The players end up with zero confidence from that. I said probably 10 games before DJ was canned, no coach is winning with the goaltending we're getting. Tough game to come back to.

Reporting back to @JD1 : left downtown at 5:45pm-ish, got past security at 6:30pm. Honestly, security is what took the longest, as I had to wait for my gf/wife to get through the one line they had for people with a handbag or purse.

Game was obviously disappointing, especially given the good start.
Good thing you left a little early then. You'd a been pissed at her if you left at 6 but didn't get thru security because of a hand bag.

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
I've been away. Missed the last half dozen games. Following mostly thru here. I was really looking forward to seeing the game. It was awful. You can't win with goaltending like that. The players end up with zero confidence from that. I said probably 10 games before DJ was canned, no coach is winning with the goaltending we're getting. Tough game to come back to.

Good thing you left a little early then. You'd a been pissed at her if you left at 6 but didn't get thru security because of a hand bag.
Well you missed some good ones because trust me the last 7 or 8 were a heck of a lot better effort than tonight. Hopefully this is a one off stinker and they regroup and get back to what they were doing.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Being at the game I tried to pay more attention to individual players.

- The 4th line is the one positive I take away from this game. They play with some jam; too bad they don't have much finish.

- Breaking news: Joseph is really fast

- JBD was terrible.

- I tried to find Norris to evaluate him, but couldn't.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Man stutzle on that third goal lol. Like what the f*** is he doing. Why not just stay with the guy and disrupt him? He’s like tries to engage physically and then hits a rut or something

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I stopped watching after the first period to watch the Rumble instead. I was shocked to see the final score, but then again; I probably shouldn't have been. What the hell happened?

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Shouldn't be paying assets for guys whose best days are long behind them.
Agreed. It is never good to be dealing from a position of weakness, when other teams smell desperation and prey on it. Trading partners will impose sin taxes as it were, demand greater draft assets than they otherwise would. Teams will demand the Sens retain salary to take on Sens players with (perceived) bad contracts. Not a recipe for success but may be a short term requirement to get out from under. Ideally Staios shows patience here, focuses on even swaps, trades for like players and contracts that change team chemistry. I don't envy him his task! My gut feeling is that he will only trade a few assets he risks losing for nothing (FAs) during the season and most other trades will happen in the off-season. Not fun!

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I feel ripped off. Hundreds of dollars and a wasted babysitter for that shit.

My young son is starting to get interested in hockey. I think I’ll take him to see the 67s.
Even when the Sens were a strong team, we found our young kids enjoyed the 67's experience far more. They tailor the fan experience to kids.

It's not just adults, even little kids appreciate and want to follow and root for winners. NHL tix are a expensive choice for kids entertainment dollars. I doubt 10 seconds with Sparticat makes up for constant on-ice disappointment. What kid wants to follow that? My kids enjoyed the Sens experience as teens at a time the the team was good and then followed the team for years. The Sens have been so pathetic in recent years that my now (4) adult children slowly stopped following the team. Apparently I am the only one crazy enough to keep doing that. Does not bode well for the future of a franchise if a rabid fan's kids don't care. IMO, the Sens only hope is to reverse the ship. They can only rebuild a solid fan base through on ice success, playoffs and a real chance at winning. So terribly sad that this franchise was allowed to degrade for so long under terrible ownership and management.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Even when the Sens were a strong team, we found our young kids enjoyed the 67's experience far more. They tailor the fan experience to kids.

It's not just adults, even little kids appreciate and want to follow and root for winners. NHL tix are a expensive choice for kids entertainment dollars. I doubt 10 seconds with Sparticat makes up for constant on-ice disappointment. What kid wants to follow that? My kids enjoyed the Sens experience as teens at a time the the team was good and then followed the team for years. The Sens have been so pathetic in recent years that my now (4) adult children slowly stopped following the team. Apparently I am the only one crazy enough to keep doing that. Does not bode well for the future of a franchise if a rabid fan's kids don't care. IMO, the Sens only hope is to reverse the ship. They can only rebuild a solid fan base through on ice success, playoffs and a real chance at winning. So terribly sad that this franchise was allowed to degrade for so long under terrible ownership and management.
I have 4 adult kids too. Only one is into sports at all.

One of my takeaways from going to games, and got this vibe again last night, is there are a lot of young people going to games on their own dime and having a good time. There's a lot of 35 and under at the game that were raised as Sens fans that are paying their own way.

Reactions: WallyD

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot and Chychrun -3 each. Can't pay both 8m.

Stuetzle needs to man the f*** up. If he wants to play princess no touch hockey, well, he needs to go back to Europe. We don't have any real hope for playoff success when our best player is constantly sent flying everytime he's touched

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
DJS lasted for 25 games this season, and if my math is correct, he left behind a .440 P% record

JM has been behind the bench for just 19 games, and so far he has amassed a .421 P% record…. again if my math is correct

will be interesting to see where the P% sits after 6 more games, and we can compare 25 games vs 25 games….. maybe we’ll see the “new coach bump” by then?

There are some winnable games, on paper in the next six Opponents

1706444802265.png

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I have 4 adult kids too. Only one is into sports at all.

One of my takeaways from going to games, and got this vibe again last night, is there are a lot of young people going to games on their own dime and having a good time. There's a lot of 35 and under at the game that were raised as Sens fans that are paying their own way.
Glad you see young Sens fans.

As a fan experience, it's much more fun to have a home crowd that's into it, reacting to the action the same way, feeding off of each other.

Sports fandom is nothing serious, so I don't really judge Ottawa fans of other teams. But I know soooo many Senators fans who have another NHL team allegiance and will wear that team's jersey when they come to town. Typically O-6 teams. Just see the crowd at the Bruins and Rangers games.

When those people tell me "I'm a Sens fan, well, except when X comes to town", I smile and nod in acknowledgement, but inside I'm saying "you're RUINING it for EVERYONE!"

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
DJS lasted for 25 games this season, and if my math is correct, he left behind a .440 P% record

JM has been behind the bench for just 19 games, and so far he has amassed a .421 P% record…. again if my math is correct

will be interesting to see where the P% sits after 6 more games, and we can compare 25 games vs 25 games….. maybe we’ll see the “new coach bump” by then?

There are some winnable games, on paper in the next six Opponents

View attachment 812145
The rest of this year isn't about winning, it's about teaching them how to play to win and assessing who needs to be traded to make the team better.

Worry about winning next year.

Reactions: Cosmix and Tuna99

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The rest of this year isn't about winning, it's about teaching them how to play to win and assessing who needs to be traded to make the team better.

Worry about winning next year.

Does it look like the substitute teacher is getting positive results, when he has a worse record than his predecessor?

Why not grab the best available teacher now, and give him a head start on “next year”?

Management can still assess and make the required moves in the off-season, and knowing now who will be the teacher is going to be in training camp and the system he employs ( for the rest of this season ) perhaps management can moves that fit into his system, by already knowing who he is and his system is now, and for the remainder of the season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Glad you see young Sens fans.

As a fan experience, it's much more fun to have a home crowd that's into it, reacting to the action the same way, feeding off of each other.

Sports fandom is nothing serious, so I don't really judge Ottawa fans of other teams. But I know soooo many Senators fans who have another NHL team allegiance and will wear that team's jersey when they come to town. Typically O-6 teams. Just see the crowd at the Bruins and Rangers games.

When those people tell me "I'm a Sens fan, well, except when X comes to town", I smile and nod in acknowledgement, but inside I'm saying "you're RUINING it for EVERYONE!"
I really do believe that we're starting to see evidence of the first homegrown Sens fans attending on their own dime and there's a lot of them which is great.

Look at attendance. It's really responded under Andlauer

Look at anyone born +/- 5 years of the Sens joining the league. They're now about 26-36. And then look around on a sell out Saturday night. Saw a lot of young couples last night on date night I guess. Saw all kinds of guys in small groups. Even saw some small groups of just young ladies. All wearing Sens merchandise. All having a great time on a Saturday night.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Chabot and Chychrun -3 each. Can't pay both 8m.

Stuetzle needs to man the f*** up. If he wants to play princess no touch hockey, well, he needs to go back to Europe. We don't have any real hope for playoff success when our best player is constantly sent flying everytime he's touched
Stutzle comes across as very immature both physically and mentally. He wants to compete but gets pushed around easily and shies away from engaging with other players when they get in his face. he needs to get stronger and develop a mean streak.

Reactions: Cosmix and JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad