Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Anaheim Ducks - January 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Running Hank into the ground, and the lack of faith in Pavelec has been so strange this season.

Pavelec was peppered with shots in his three starts in December, and showed really well. Got smoked by the Islanders, and was perfectly fine vs Vegas in January.

Reactions: Pixie and Avery16

Deleted member 23124

There's no consistency in AV's benching's. Miller gets it, Buchnevich gets it, but AV's vets never seem to get benched.

Ice time distribution was a problem in this game.

Bad hockey team, and very unlikeable, in my opinion.
Can anyone recall the last time Fast was benched for a mistake?

Hell, he wouldn't even bench Dan Boyle, who was a mistake every time he hit the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even think these benching's are that productive, unless its like a fringe NHL'er. Why publicly embarrass a player with a good reputation? Do you want a problem in your locker room? They know when they've messed up. If they aren't playing well enough over a stretch of hockey, how about you manage the situation and don't just default to benching them?

The problem is the lack of consistency. I'd prefer not benching these players, but if you are going to do it, show some consistency.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers have played more games than every team in front of them in the Metro Division Standings, except for Pittsburgh. We are behind Pittsburgh by two points, and they've played one more, but even if we win that game, we are behind them in the standings based on less ROW's. If this team keeps losing, we could be out of the playoff race almost entirely by the trade deadline.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

That's what happens when your goalie is not only playing every game, but facing as many shots as he has been and having to basically be perfect and win games on his own. It's not like AV is riding Hank while he's playing behind a solid defense and having average to low amounts of chances against (think Holtby a couple years ago). Instead he's playing every game and facing 35+ shots a night and endless grade A chances and being basically a .940 goalie to boot.

Hopefully the All Star break gives Hank a chance to recharge his batteries because the team certainly isn't going to do him any favors.

As far as this game, I liked DeAngelo again. I thought he was active and played well in both ends. For that reason, would it surprise anyone is Kampfer were back in for him next game?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think we also realize how much we are missing Hayes. Not saying we would have won tonight or against the avs but We literally have no one 5 on 5 down the middle that is impressing right now.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Moving Stepan, while remains to be seen how LA and ADA pan out, has been severely detrimental to this team. Terrible leadership in the lockerroom. Terrible center depth. Just all around bad.
I totally agree. The move of Stepan and Girardi has killed this team. These guys were both vocal leaders on this team. Remember I don’t believe either player ever missed the playoffs. Jeff Gordon should be on the hook for these two awful moves.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Poor ADA it seems like every where he's suited up hes been on losing end. Coyotes, Wolfpack and now Rangers.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true - I just hope Zucc don`t demand a transfer, because without a decent center in Chytil or Lias this team going nowhere, especially when Hayes is out unfortunately.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I totally agree. The move of Stepan and Girardi has killed this team. These guys were both vocal leaders on this team. Remember I don’t believe either player ever missed the playoffs. Jeff Gordon should be on the hook for these two awful moves.
If Lias turns out to be decent (and it looks like he will be) and if ADA can develop into a top 4 dman I don't think the stepan move was awful. Lets be honest we miss Step but 2 or 3 years from now he won't be getting better while making 6.5 million per

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They each missed the playoffs once in 2010-11, when we lost in the shootout on the last game of the season.

Girardi was cooked as a #1D, but for what we've gotten out of Smith, we might as well have just kept Girardi for another year and bought him out this summer.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I don't feel too badly about that win - not too sure why. I think the breaking point for me was that Kings game and that a part of me has accepted this team won't be too great (whether because of coaching, injuries, lack of depth, whatever). At this point, I only hope that management can strategically move forward. I don't know what the plan is but I would hope the first "baby step" in this process is look to move the UFA at the very least.

Two things I wonder about thought:

- I wonder why we seemingly **** the bed after the first period every single time. Since the bye week, we've done reasonably well (or alright) in the first period; this was the case for the Isles, Penguins, Avs, Kings, Ducks. But every single time we come out for the second, **** just completely hits the fan. Is this because of teams adjusting THAT quickly? We've faced a mix of teams hear (Metro, Central, Pacific) and...yeah, I just find it very strange.

- Any thoughts on benching J.T. Miller and maybe even Vesey? I know J.T. had that egregious turnover that led to the penalty, however, it's not like he cost us the game either. I think it was on that PK we let Perry waltz in after a poor line change. I dunno. At the same time, with how the games have been going, maybe it doesn't even matter, sadly.

Other teams have coaches that make adjustments to the ebb and flow of the game. We have AV, who is incapable of such things.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They each missed the playoffs once in 2010-11, when we lost in the shootout on the last game of the season.

Girardi was cooked as a #1D, but for what we've gotten out of Smith, we might as well have just kept Girardi for another year and bought him out this summer.

I'm very puzzled by this move too.... What it screams to me is that AV couldn't possibly see Girardi as a 3rd pair dman--it goes along with everything he does with risk mitigation in his lineup--play bad players with good players to make an overall Above average lineup...

But it doesn't work.

Now we're stuck with this Smith contract, although he's a much better skater than Girardi

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Hey Machinehead you still believe Nash has not been our best forward all year? He has been and it is not even close. Give me Stepan and Girardi back please Mika sucks.

Reactions: NCRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Running Hank into the ground, and the lack of faith in Pavelec has been so strange this season.

Pavelec was peppered with shots in his three starts in December, and showed really well. Got smoked by the Islanders, and was perfectly fine vs Vegas in January.

It seems strange but it's normal by AV's standards.

Reactions: 17futurecap

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Benching your 3rd leading scorer in a winnable game has to be the last straw for AV.

Miller made an egregious turnover - in a game full of them. Playing Holland, Desharnais, and Lettieri over him is inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad