Rumor: New Third Jersey

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
That’s what I hated most about the fisherman jerseys was the teal. The logo never really bother me. I just prefer the original logo.

I think something like the navy blue late 90's jerseys might also be cool for a third.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Would anyone else be cool with this jersey?

The waves on that jersey look like they were drawn by someone with their eyes closed.

The only nice thirds the Isles ever had were the Stadium Series jerseys.

I think the idea behind that sweater was okay, but it ended up looking like a hodgepodge of ideas from 10 different people. The random chrome, the white name patch, the orange trim on the numbers, the circle logo on the shoulder... It's a bit of a Frankenjersey.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Love the fisherman logo, takes me back to my childhood of collecting hockey cards and playing some old NHL-game. I would order couple tshirts and a cap right away. Would prefer blue, white and orange but I even like the teal-wave jersey.. I think its about that jersey being so ugly it is actually pretty cool.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The fisherman logo/jersey is the darkest period in the team's history. In 94 the Islanders lost in the playoffs to their arch rival (and they win the cup) in historically embarrassing fashion. Then, Arbour retires, Milbury comes on board, the horrendous jerseys are unveiled and less than a year later Spano buys the team. What followed was just a comedy of errors. Having to trade Palffy, slashing the payroll to $12M (think about that) while teams like the Rangers had $70M+, all in those wonderful teal, fisherman jerseys. As bad as Wang/Snow/Maloney/Gang of 4/Picket, etc. were, those years were THE WORST.

We do not need to relive those years. Burn those jerseys.

Knoxville555

Mar 30, 2012
That’s what I hated most about the fisherman jerseys was the teal. The logo never really bother me. I just prefer the original logo.

teal was an absolute 90s color. I don't see it coming back. My guess would be the current black thirds in adidas, or the jerseys from 93.

Knoxville555

Mar 30, 2012
To each his own. Uglier than this?

592cd238536b4f3c.jpg
this jersey reminds me of this:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The fisherman logo/jersey is the darkest period in the team's history. In 94 the Islanders lost in the playoffs to their arch rival (and they win the cup) in historically embarrassing fashion. Then, Arbour retires, Milbury comes on board, the horrendous jerseys are unveiled and less than a year later Spano buys the team. What followed was just a comedy of errors. Having to trade Palffy, slashing the payroll to $12M (think about that) while teams like the Rangers had $70M+, all in those wonderful teal, fisherman jerseys. As bad as Wang/Snow/Maloney/Gang of 4/Picket, etc. were, those years were THE WORST.

It really was a terrible time. I attended a game once with a paper bag over my head. Oddly enough, I was stopped by a guy on the concourse who was laughing and told his son, "Hey this guy knows how to do it in style". Took the bag off my head to shake his hand, it was my neighbor from around the block haha! We had a great laugh about it.

With that said, I never thought the fisherman outrage was warranted. Let me clarify, I never though it was the jerseys themselves that were bad. The idea that the logo needed to change was a brutally bad decision, but the actual logo design itself, for its era, wasn't that bad to me. It didn't outrage me as much as it did others. So I wouldn't mind if they modernized the logo a bit for these times and rolled with it as a third. Some other teams have done really cool third logo designs and I wouldn't mind seeing the Isles do it again. This coming from somebody who has only ever liked one third jersey this team as ever had (the Stadium Series ones).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

For some of us it was the first jersey we remember seeing the team wear. It brings us back to when we first fell in love with the game and the Islanders (not sure how we did, but we did).

I never owned that jersey though, only had hats with the logo on it. The first jersey I received was one of the dynasty era home jersey. Followed by a Palffy wave jersey with the original logo on it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I guess the one good thing about using the fisherman logo is that you now open up a new position for Garth Snow. But the downfall, is that you lose Sparky.

Or, maybe they can keep him and have some pregame performance ala VGK... where the Fisherman (Snow) rides Sparky the dragon to save Westeros (The New NVMC) from the Northern Armies of the undead (Canadian Media)? Too much? Sorry, I'll go now!

Reactions: Finnislander

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I have an idea for a 3rd jersey. Even though I don’t care for them it is inevitable that there will be one so here is my idea. Take the blue home jersey and keep it the same. Take the standard logo and tweak it just enough so that it is different but still similar. If people like it than maybe it could become a future logo. If not at least the jersey will still look decent.

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You're right. Their primary jersey color is blue and their secondary (road) is white. This new third jersey will be orange. What's the problem here?

I get that logic.

I just think a third jersey should look nice and don’t see an primarily orange jersey looking good for the Islanders.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I agree with you on those 2 points, but otherwise I think this might've been the best 3rd jersey (granted it's a low bar).

The Chrome was not a team decision but a LEAGUE one, just so we all know. The NHL had those chrome edging and gloss for the Stadium Series games, but I think the Isles dropped it after that game ( I could be wrong on the last part).

Side note - The gloves were absolute beauts, those white fingers??? <3
b5adf0fc0a8fe27e_small.jpeg

Reactions: SI90 and sebsisles

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
How credible is The Hockey Guy, because I am 110% the outlier that will buy a fisherman based third.

Go watch the Hockey Guys Video on the Tenure of Garth as GM. I watched it, he does an in depth analysis. The verdict: Positive review from the Hockey Guy on Garths tenure. So, with that I don't find him very credible. I know its just one person but just giving some perspective.

P.S. I posted earlier in the week about the Lighthouse being a new logo, I think that should be the new 3rds, with current colors.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I would be willing to bet you guys don't have a 3rd this year.. Lou never had a 3rd jersey with the devs, didn't believe in it. They wore the old 80s jersey a few times for st pats day and for the stadium series game as the nhl forced them to wear a different jersey.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I would be willing to bet you guys don't have a 3rd this year.. Lou never had a 3rd jersey with the devs, didn't believe in it. They wore the old 80s jersey a few times for st pats day and for the stadium series game as the nhl forced them to wear a different jersey.
Adidas might have the last word on this.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I’d say that the third jerseys were already designed and ready to go, long before Lou got here.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The Chrome was not a team decision but a LEAGUE one, just so we all know. The NHL had those chrome edging and gloss for the Stadium Series games, but I think the Isles dropped it after that game ( I could be wrong on the last part).

Side note - The gloves were absolute beauts, those white fingers??? <3
b5adf0fc0a8fe27e_small.jpeg

Those the gloves of Brian Strait?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad