Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
That's what we have to compete with....this division is murder with Crosby, Malkin, Tavaris, Ovechkin to name a few.

Hall at least puts us somewhere in the neighborhood.

It's pretty amazing - NYR, NYI, WAS, PIT, and NJD all have at least one #1OA playing for them.

Meanwhile, CBJ traded #1 (Nash), #4 (Johansen), #6 (Brassard), and #7 (Voracek). :help:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's pretty amazing - NYR, NYI, WAS, PIT, and NJD all have at least one #1OA playing for them.

Meanwhile, CBJ traded #1 (Nash), #4 (Johansen), #6 (Brassard), and #7 (Voracek). :help:

Let's not go critiquing the folks in Columbus.

Jarmo is one of the GOAT in management positions. He's a smart hockey guy and shouldn't be questioned.

One of the GOAT in Finland maybe. Or goat as in the animal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think DSP 'could' get 20 if he was in a top six role the whole year but he probably won't be. Not so sure about Bennett, he strikes me as more of a playmaker than scorer and there's the obvious injury issue.

re: the Isles, they're really hard to read...yeah they lost Okposo, Nielsen and Martin but they also brought in Ladd, Chimera and Parenteau (albeit the latter two are short-term deals). I think Eddy had it best a couple days ago...there are four definite playoff teams in the East - the two Florida teams, Washington, Pittsburgh - and every other spot is up for grabs and almost any team could get one of the last four spots.

Yepp. I think you can lock those four in now (major injury can change that but we can't account for that today)

After that there are question marks abound.

If you look at the remaining playoff teams from last year. Rags, Isles, Wings are all worse off this year (this could definitely be the year Detroit finally misses).

Philly is a question mark because a lot depends on youth there and who is ready to make jumps for them.

Looking outside. Buffalo clearly got better and could get onto the bubble. I think we got better as will be on the bubble as well. Habs could go either way. Boston should be on the bubble but I could see them fall back and out. Another weird team to read.

Other two Canadian teams shouldn't be competing for anything. Carolina should be outside. I have no damn clue what to do with Columbus.

Rags and Wings look like the biggest potential fallers to me. Buffalo, Philly (if they get more young D up and contributing and Ghost doesn't fall off) and us rising.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nash isn't really working out for the Rags either.

I think he's okay.

He's just on a contract that is probably costing them the ability of making other moves and his playoff goal scoring in the playoffs is an absolute joke.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Let's not go critiquing the folks in Columbus.

Jarmo is one of the GOAT in management positions. He's a smart hockey guy and shouldn't be questioned.

One of the GOAT in Finland maybe. Or goat as in the animal.

Wait you mean the guy that hired Torts? Yeah please, he is real great good...:laugh:

Edit: My bad didn't see the end of that.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait you mean the guy that hired Torts? Yeah please, he is real great good...:laugh:

Edit: My bad didn't see the end of that.

Hey now! Don't forget that this is the same guy that traded away Horton's uninsured contract and dead space to acquire 5 more years and $5 million+ per year for the shards of David Clarkson's glass.

I just think it's funny how overhyped these people were when they came in. The amount of respect that this guy was getting from people when he came in. ''Now Columbus has people running it that actually know what they're doing!'' and it wasn't even from their own fanbase, it was from some of our fans and fans of teams all around the league.

What did this guy prove up to that point as an NHL GM that commanded so much respect? And what has he done up to this point almost 3 years later?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think Shero should sign Elias and Jiri Hudler and be finished at forward. Depth is very important. We all know Cammalleri and Bennett are going to miss a good chunk of games. Theres definitely gonna be someone else who misses the entire year (like Tlusty last season). Elias will miss some time. Zacha has been a bit injury prone - in juniors, and for Albany in the playoffs. Taylor Hall has been known to miss some games due to injury.

Elias - Zacha - Hudler 3rd line

Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri

Hall - Henrique - Cammalleri

Kalinin - Fiddler/Josefson - DSP/Bennett

Sign Stephen Gionta to a 2way contract and let him and Rod Pelley lead the A-Devs.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne
I think Shero should sign Elias and Jiri Hudler and be finished at forward. Depth is very important. We all know Cammalleri and Bennett are going to miss a good chunk of games. Theres definitely gonna be someone else who misses the entire year (like Tlusty last season). Elias will miss some time. Zacha has been a bit injury prone - in juniors, and for Albany in the playoffs. Taylor Hall has been known to miss some games due to injury.

Elias - Zacha - Hudler 3rd line

Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri

Hall - Henrique - Cammalleri

Kalinin - Fiddler/Josefson - DSP/Bennett

Sign Stephen Gionta to a 2way contract and let him and Rod Pelley lead the A-Devs.

Don't think that Elias will come back for this season, you cannot count him in. If he's here, fine. If we sign Hudler, we expose one of the younger guys. Bennett/DSP on the fourth line is a waste. Only way would be playing Cammalleri at LW and let Bennett/DSP fight the spot out.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Don't think that Elias will come back for this season, you cannot count him in. If he's here, fine. If we sign Hudler, we expose one of the younger guys. Bennett/DSP on the fourth line is a waste. Only way would be playing Cammalleri at LW and let Bennett/DSP fight the spot out.

Exactly this.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
About wanting Hudler - I only want him on a one year deal and that's absolutely it. If Hudler wants two years +, then I want no part of that. Hudler on a 1 year deal or no Hudler at all.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

You're acting like DSP/Bennett would be on the fourth line for the entire season. Which is not the case. They would be on the fourth line if the team is fully healthy at forward, which in all honesty will probably be the case for about 5-10 games all season. it is very rare that every forward on the roster is healthy all at once.

Look at last season, we thought we had decent depth going into the season. Then boom - Elias, Cammalleri, Tlusty all missed a majority of the year. That's an entire line.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
About wanting Hudler - I only want him on a one year deal and that's absolutely it. If Hudler wants two years +, then I want no part of that. Hudler on a 1 year deal or no Hudler at all.

Hudler Signed with Tor for 2 yrs (saw it on main board just now)
What is left for Ray to do?
I (along with many) still think we are down at least 1 good D man, most think 2. Need a #1 RW or #2 if Palmieri jumps into 1 spot. And then are depth is DSP/Bennett/Kalinin? Its thin at best.

Whats with JJ? He was Qualified right? Are they waiting until they settle the rest of the board and then take care of him? Or trying to sign and trade? Not a fan of his but his name has been nonexistent here

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I (along with many) still think we are down at least 1 good D man, most think 2. Need a #1 RW or #2 if Palmieri jumps into 1 spot. And then are depth is DSP/Bennett/Kalinin? Its thin at best.

Whats with JJ? He was Qualified right? Are they waiting until they settle the rest of the board and then take care of him? Or trying to sign and trade? Not a fan of his but his name has been nonexistent here

Shero will probably be looking to trade for D this entire offseason and during the season. We know he holds on until he gets exactly what he wants, so I'll remain patient.

And I don't care all that much about JJ. I'd take him back on the 4th line and to help our PP/shootout. But he's not much of a priority.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Shero will probably be looking to trade for D this entire offseason and during the season. We know he holds on until he gets exactly what he wants, so I'll remain patient.

And I don't care all that much about JJ. I'd take him back on the 4th line and to help our PP/shootout. But he's not much of a priority.

Agreed, but do you think the D move is going to be something big like a Barrie/Fowler/Shattenkirk? Or something like a Petrovic (Fla) or try and scoop another Pitt player like Pouliot (yeah I know in-division)
or go to UFA a Kris Russell (1 yr) or Justin Schultz (1 yr)

JJ is def not a priority just wondering what their thinking was. And if you are JJ asking the same

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing Ray Shero take a shot at Radim Vrbata at RW... excellent two years ago playing with the Sedin's a lot ... really tailed off playing on lower lines. He'd more than likely rebound quite a bit on our 1st line. Beau Bennett will not stay healthy for long, so counting on him to be a top line player for us would be a mistake. The other thing with Vrbata ... he'll be cheap. We could probably get him on a one year deal.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Really want Shero to trade for Marcus Johansson as the Caps are in a cap crunch. Even if DSP moves down the the fourth line, this move gives us even more depth. How much would this cost us? 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Agreed, but do you think the D move is going to be something big like a Barrie/Fowler/Shattenkirk? Or something like a Petrovic (Fla) or try and scoop another Pitt player like Pouliot (yeah I know in-division)
or go to UFA a Kris Russell (1 yr) or Justin Schultz (1 yr)

JJ is def not a priority just wondering what their thinking was. And if you are JJ asking the same

Petrovic is very intriguing and actually pretty realistic I think. He fits Shero's target age (he's 24), he's big and skates well...It just feels right. I'm not sure what FLA would want in return though. Certainly less than what we'd need to give for Fowler or Shattenkirk.

Group Chat Legend*

Hudler did not sign with Toronto, dont know where you heard that but it isn't credible.

Group Chat Legend*

Really want Shero to trade for Marcus Johansson as the Caps are in a cap crunch. Even if DSP moves down the the fourth line, this move gives us even more depth. How much would this cost us? 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd?

We dont need DSP on the fourth, nor does that allow him to grow.

He is even younger too.

Group Chat Legend*

You're acting like DSP/Bennett would be on the fourth line for the entire season. Which is not the case. They would be on the fourth line if the team is fully healthy at forward, which in all honesty will probably be the case for about 5-10 games all season. it is very rare that every forward on the roster is healthy all at once.

Look at last season, we thought we had decent depth going into the season. Then boom - Elias, Cammalleri, Tlusty all missed a majority of the year. That's an entire line.

Losing Elias and Tlusty meant nothing, so really all we lost was Cammalleri and we all knew when we signed him he had injury problems.

Bennett may too. But thats only two guys. Dont need to be filling their spots already, at least let them touch the ice first...

Group Chat Legend*

Losing Elias meant nothing.... ? Ok then.

Yes.

He is washed up and injured, let him go. He would have made zero difference last year and this coming year. He does not fit the new team idea nor has any connections to Shero or the new management.

If he is brought back, which I highly doubt, it is for respect and that alone. He is no better than our fourth liners at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia