Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Zero chance we don't draft BPA. If we have a forward ranked ahead we're going to pick him much to the chagrin of fans likely. These guys are 3-4 years from making and impact. That's why you always draft BPA. There is so much that can change in a year or two years. Shero took over and the line-up was:

Henrique-Gomez-Bernier
Cammalleri-Zajac-Tootoo
Zubrus-Elias-Gionta
Ruutu-Josefson-Ryder

Prospects: Boucher, Quenneville, Santini, Blandisi, Coleman, Jacobs, Kujawinski, Wood, Helgeson, Pietila

And we've added:
Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Boucher-Zacha-DSP
Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin

Propsects: Zacha, McLeod, Santini, Quenneville, Speers, Blandisi, Blackwood, Wood, Bastian, Jacobs, Pietila

This all happened in one year. The team is totally transformed and now we need defense. Hall and Palmieri are top 3 players, Bennett, and DSP are middle 6 guys and all these guys were brought in via trade. There's no reason we can't do similar things with defense. Drafting for need is how you get into issues. Always BPA.

This is one of the huge reasons I'm for trading the pick as well.

The problem is there aren't many young cornerstone D's available. Shero will try to trade for one, but if there's no one available then he'll have to try to find one through the draft.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The starting lineup is better, but it's still not very good.

Hopefully Boucher, Zacha, JQ, Pietila and others can change the complexion, but I'm going in expecting a similar performance to last year.

What I'm hoping for is Fiddler (and Josefson?) being swept aside halfway through the year because younger, faster guys offer more.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The starting lineup is better, but it's still not very good.

Hopefully Boucher, Zacha, JQ, Pietila and others can change the complexion, but I'm going in expecting a similar performance to last year.

What I'm hoping for is Fiddler (and Josefson?) being swept aside halfway through the year because younger, faster guys offer more.

I don't know, I look at that forward group and I am very confident those guys will be good enough. Our bottom 6 did us in last season, our top 6 was fine for the most part. So if our bottom 6 consists of Boucher, Zacha, Fiddler, DSP/Bennett, among others than that is light years away from the **** that trotted out along the ice last season.

Our defense is sort of a question mark but I'm optimistic they'll be fine as we play a relatively solid team-oriented defense. Plus having Cory back there helps out a ton - in fact I'm surprised I haven't seen that mentioned more around here as the discussions around this team's defense takes place. Cory makes up for a lot for whatever mistakes we make and I don't see that stopping next season. There are a few wildcards in the mix on defense though. How people feel about Severson, Santini and Merrill will shape how they feel we'll do this season, and I've seen a wide range of opinions on those guys.

I just remembered that Hudler is still available. If Shero can sign him to a nice deal I'd be very confident in our forward group this season.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, I agree that the bottom six kept us out of the final wildcard spot. It cannot get worse than that.

But we had career highs from three players in the top 6 last year, plus Zajac leading us in assists. Not only does that need to be replicated or replaced internally (by Hall and other fresh blood) but we need more goals on top of that. And even then you have a defense that has, in the short-term, gotten weaker. We are counting on Zacha, Severson, Merrill and a host of others making progress in order to be a playoff team next year.

A lot of questions - as many as we had going into last season.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I can't believe people aren't confident in this line-up. Boucher, DSP, Fiddler, Zacha, Kalinin, and whoever plays 4RW are ALL improvements over last years bottom 6. Half of those guys played in the top 6 last year.

Top 6 in ice time last year:
Palmieri
Henrique
Zajac
Kalinin
Gionta
Tootoo

Seriously. Injuries and shifting top 6 guys like Boucher, Blandisi and DSP made those 6 guys our highest in TOI.

Even if we have injuries to Cammalleri(again) and Bennett(because he's glass) we have Boucher and DSP in the bottom 6 who can easily slot in. Boucher was on a 16 goal 23 assist pace. That's petty good for a guy who had under 40 games going into the year. DSP was unreal in the top 6 as well. And that's only in case of injury. Or we have Zacha to slot in who looked good in his pro(NHL+AHL debut -- 8 pts in 9 games).

This forward lineup is light years ahead of last year. I get being cautiously optimistic but there's so much reason for confidence with the guys we have now.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, I agree that the bottom six kept us out of the final wildcard spot. It cannot get worse than that.

But we had career highs from three players in the top 6 last year, plus Zajac leading us in assists. Not only does that need to be replicated or replaced internally (by Hall and other fresh blood) but we need more goals on top of that. And even then you have a defense that has, in the short-term, gotten weaker. We are counting on Zacha, Severson, Merrill and a host of others making progress in order to be a playoff team next year.

A lot of questions - as many as we had going into last season.

I don't see why Palmieri and Henrique can't replicate, or at least come close, to the performances they had last season. Saying Palmieri had a career year is a bit misleading given the huge discrepancy in his usage between his Anaheim days and last season. Even if he doesn't reach 30 goals again he's still a legit top 6 player than has an amazing compete level. And for Henrique I just think that was a natural progression thing last season, he just got better. Sure he was inconsistent at times but when he was on his game his game was better than it has ever been. With the addition of Hall, and the apparent chemistry they once had, I don't see why he can't replicate or even do better than he did last season.

Our defense will be interesting and I am very curious to see how the top pairing goes. Shero's comments specifically have made me curious as to what his vision is of our defense's outlook. If he truly believes Greene is our best offensive Dman, and he will probably be paired with Severson - who is much more offensive-minded than Larsson - then what will that top pairing try to accomplish out there? Will they be similar to what they were last year in that they just try to shut down the opposition's top lines and creating offense is an afterthought? Or, and this is what I think will be the case, will they try to be a pair that drives the play and creates more scoring chances for the team? Because if it is the latter and you believe in Greene and Severson's ability to create offense (I think they certainly have the potential to do so) then maybe that will be a large contributing factor to our team's success.

I am very excited for this season.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You're assuming that the top 6 guys are a lock to do what they did last year. And/or you're expecting Hall, Fiddler and kids on the bottom six to make up the difference and provide more on top of that.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that. But I also don't think it's a guarantee of anything better than last year's bubble finish.

EDIT: My post was directed at NJDevils17.

But yeah, I'm very excited for this season as well. A lot of experiments, a lot of competition.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't see how Henrique wouldn't have a season about as good (or better) than last year if he's playing with Taylor Hall, and I don't see why Palmieri can't get close to what he did last year, since his production in Anaheim was influenced by the fact that he wasn't getting nearly as much ice time as he will get this year. We also have Hall coming in, and I think that is a huge addition. Hall can be a game breaker for us. Not worried about Henrique and Palmieri having career years last year. That's good. That's what they should be doing in their primes.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
You're assuming that the top 6 guys are a lock to do what they did last year. And/or you're expecting Hall, Fiddler and kids on the bottom six to make up the difference and provide more on top of that.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that. But I also don't think it's a guarantee of anything better than last year's bubble finish.

EDIT: My post was directed at NJDevils17.

But yeah, I'm very excited for this season as well. A lot of experiments, a lot of competition.

I don't think that's unrealistic though. Henrique IMO will be better than last season. Palmieri will the same around the same with his linemates. Plus we lost Cammalleri halfway so if he's healthy that'll be a HUGE boost. My biggest concern is the right side still.

The bottom 6 I think is a lot better just by addition by subtraction. I don't think there's any reason we'll be worse except an injury bug. At risk of sounding overly positive, I think we're going to make the playoffs or be damn close.

At the end of the day, we're both in agreement about being excited and and seeing what's going to happen with all the kids and stuff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
More than Palmieri and Henrique replicating their 30 goal seasons, Cammalleri has to to stay healthy...I'll take 65 games...that 23 additional games can make up any difference in Palmieri and/or Henrique drop in production...

I say it every year after we miss the playoffs and I'll say it again now. We need 5 20 goal scorers to make the playoffs. Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Cammalleri? Still one short I think. Unless someone comes up big...if Zajac, DSP or Boucher can come close it'll make the world of difference.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
More than Palmieri and Henrique replicating their 30 goal seasons, Cammalleri has to to stay healthy...I'll take 65 games...that 23 additional games can make up any difference in Palmieri and/or Henrique drop in production...

I say it every year after we miss the playoffs and I'll say it again now. We need 5 20 goal scorers to make the playoffs. Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Cammalleri? Still one short I think. Unless someone comes up big...if Zajac, DSP or Boucher can come close it'll make the world of difference.

Jim's point is true but doesn't have to be exact. i'd take 4 guys with 20 goals or more and then another 2 with at least 15. A combination of either Boucher, Blandisi, Zajac, Zacha, or DSP, should be able to get us 15.

The problem is that I also think we need the D to contribute either with sharp passing or power play points. I just don't see a 30 point man, let alone a 40 one. Maybe Severson can hit 25 points but he'll need a better year than last season t do it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim's point is true but doesn't have to be exact. i'd take 4 guys with 20 goals or more and then another 2 with at least 15. A combination of either Boucher, Blandisi, Zajac, Zacha, or DSP, should be able to get us 15.

The problem is that I also think we need the D to contribute either with sharp passing or power play points. I just don't see a 30 point man, let alone a 40 one. Maybe Severson can hit 25 points but he'll need a better year than last season t do it.

I'd take that as well ;)

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

How many teams have 5? Not trying to indict the point but I'm genuinely curious. It seems like a huge ask to have that many.

Two 30 and two 20 seems easier I think. Especially with the guys we have. I also think we have 3 guys who can score 12-15.

30 - Henrique, Palms
20 - Cammalleri, Hall
12-15: Boucher, DSP, Zajac

Might not be five 20 goal scorers but I think the depth is there.

Also Cammy at 65 games can score 20 I think. He's done it before with ease.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Look at our division.

Rangers had 5
Pittsburgh had 4 + 17 and 16
Washington had 6
Islanders had 4 + 2 15's

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Look at our division.

Rangers had 5
Pittsburgh had 4 + 17 and 16
Washington had 6
Islanders had 4 + 2 15's

Wow I almost couldn't believe that. Washington I expected though. Rangers shocked me and Pit was about what I figured too.

Wash and Pitt were 2 and 3, Rangers were 7th, Isles were 11. That's some firepower.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's what we have to compete with....this division is murder with Crosby, Malkin, Tavaris, Ovechkin to name a few.

Hall at least puts us somewhere in the neighborhood.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Also I think the Rangers are ripe for a fall.

Their team is built on depth and they have alot of it. But I think Zuccarello just had a career year and so did Brassard. I think their defense and goaltending is aging fast..

If there is a team that might have a fall that we can pick off the Rangers and the Islanders are it.

It sucks to hope for another teams demise as opposed to just going and outright winning, but we'll need some help and I'll take it :)

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
That's what we have to compete with....this division is murder with Crosby, Malkin, Tavaris, Ovechkin to name a few.

Hall at least puts us somewhere in the neighborhood.

I like our forward depth more than NYR and the Isles now.

They got a lot worse this offseason. Especially losing Yandle for NYR and Isles losing Nielson.

I think the bottom line is you need 4/5 players to get 100 goals. We have that with Cammy, Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri. They can do that with ~25 each which isn't unrealistic at all.

Add in ~15 from Boucher, DSP, Zajac you have very solid depth that can compete with some of these teams.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think DSP 'could' get 20 if he was in a top six role the whole year but he probably won't be. Not so sure about Bennett, he strikes me as more of a playmaker than scorer and there's the obvious injury issue.

re: the Isles, they're really hard to read...yeah they lost Okposo, Nielsen and Martin but they also brought in Ladd, Chimera and Parenteau (albeit the latter two are short-term deals). I think Eddy had it best a couple days ago...there are four definite playoff teams in the East - the two Florida teams, Washington, Pittsburgh - and every other spot is up for grabs and almost any team could get one of the last four spots.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I like our forward depth more than NYR and the Isles now.

They got a lot worse this offseason. Especially losing Yandle for NYR and Isles losing Nielson.

I think the bottom line is you need 4/5 players to get 100 goals. We have that with Cammy, Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri. They can do that with ~25 each which isn't unrealistic at all.

Add in ~15 from Boucher, DSP, Zajac you have very solid depth that can compete with some of these teams.

I really think Zacha will score 15+ especially if Patrik comes back for one more year and plays along side him.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Bennett will play 82 games and Pens fans will be furious :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3