Proposal: New Jersey - Minnesota

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If we're throwing out accusations about what influences thought process, I think you've been smoking a little too much wacka flacka flame to think a top pair defenseman with an NMC gets moved for a poo poo platter of the Devils spare parts

There were more people on this thread saying the trade was fair then Wild fans shitting their pants, maybe watch a game other than Wild games once in a while and you'll realize that the trade was more fair than you thought and that's coming from someone who loves Brodin

Reactions: wetcoast

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
There were more people on this thread saying the trade was fair then Wild fans shitting their pants, maybe watch a game other than Wild games once in a while and you'll realize that the trade was more fair than you thought and that's coming from someone who loves Brodin
No it’s terrible, the Wild have zero motivation to move Brodin and downgrade, simple as that.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
No it’s terrible, the Wild have zero motivation to move Brodin and downgrade, simple as that.
It’s pretty much fact at this point that Brodin will not be an asset to any potential window this team is building towards. Even if he was still here when the next window starts to open he has proven himself to be a poor playoff defensemen at best and a liability at worst. Moving on from him right now for anything of future value would be wise if possible. Holtz and Marino have value. Swapping a mid 2nd to a mid 1st has value. Being rid of Brodins cap hit has value.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat and I like Brodin.

• Haha
Reactions: ref19 and wetcoast

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Lets face it the Devils are having a disappointment of a seaaon this yea. They need a legit strong top pairing defensman who can be leaned on in a more defensive role to play with Luke Hughes/Dougie Hamilton/Simon Nemec. Brodin seems to fit that mold and is signed for 4 more seasons which is perfect for the Devils. The 2nd round pick balances the deal a bit as the Devils still want to have some decent picks for this summers after what would be back to back years with no 1st rounder. A 2nd would be a good add for them to draft a forward or goalie.

To NJD : Jonas Brodin & a Minnesota's 2024 2nd Round pick

To MIN : The Devils 2024 1st round pick , John Marino & Alexander Holtz

The Wild upgrade their pick to a 1st round pick so that is a plus. They also get John Marino who despite having a down year is pretty much a top 4 dman who can play the penalty kill and a 2nd powerplay unit if needed. I don't want to move him but Brodin would be hopefully ans upgrade over him and Marino is also signed for 3 more seasons at a pretty fair cap hit so Minnesota saves some much needed cap space. Alexander Holtz has 24 points in 60 games while averaging only about 11 minutes a game and barley getting any time on the top powerplay unit. Lindy Ruff doesn't have the luxury of giving this kid top 6 minutes on a consistent basis but a change of scenery and more playing time in Minnesota would be huge. Having Kaprizov , Boldy & Holtz as your 3 goal scorers could be super deadly.

The Devils are in a win now mode , more so realistically next season when Lindy Ruff is gone while the Wild are still in a bit of a retool. Kaprizov is only signed for 2 more seasons so they need to start thinking about what the future will be without him possibly. An extra 1st round pick , a young talent with potential to score 30 plus goals and a 26 year old defensman who can play in the top 4 fits their timeline a bit more IMO.
Just get rid of Ruff and add a ufa if necessary or use Misyul

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Lmao, it's utterly sad how much hockey fans out themselves that they don't watch NJ
I don't watch NJ or pretend to, but I do watch the Wild and know that Brodin is by far our best LHD, after that we have Middleton as an NHLer and no one else. Moving my team's best D man makes no sense to do when Defense is the biggest weakness for the foreseeable future.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
It’s pretty much fact at this point that Brodin will not be an asset to any potential window this team is building towards. Even if he was still here when the next window starts to open he has proven himself to be a poor playoff defensemen at best and a liability at worst. Moving on from him right now for anything of future value would be wise if possible. Holtz and Marino have value. Swapping a mid 2nd to a mid 1st has value. Being rid of Brodins cap hit has value.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat and I like Brodin.
The first is being undervalued especially if we keep trending down but you make good points

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The first is being undervalued especially if we keep trending down but you make good points
Yes it depends on the Devs trajectory for the rest of the season but swapping our second for your first at this point still might only be like 15 daft spots so it isn’t a massive shift upwards. Like I posted earlier if we changed MN 2nd to a 3rd in the deal it starts to look really good from a MN perspective.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't watch NJ or pretend to, but I do watch the Wild and know that Brodin is by far our best LHD, after that we have Middleton as an NHLer and no one else. Moving my team's best D man makes no sense to do when Defense is the biggest weakness for the foreseeable future.
The foreseeable future is golf this spring, Holtz is a legit top 6 young winger in the Making and Marino is serviceable plus the better draft pick.

It's fair value.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The foreseeable future is golf this spring, Holtz is a legit top 6 young winger in the Making and Marino is serviceable plus the better draft pick.

It's fair value.
The Wild have no need for any additional "Top 6 winger in the Making"s, that is the lowest priority on a team with Kaprizov and Boldy. The Wild have their own prospect pool for maybes there, and get back $12MM in cap space at the end of next season if they deem it an issue. The Wild only have one line carrying LD, they would be looking to do the same thing as Jersey here in adding a quality defender.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oilers offer 2024 1st rounder, 2025 1st rounder any prospect for Brodin.

If Brodin was made available a dozen teams are going to be bidding

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I watch other games all the time. I just watched Toronto vs Vegas last week. I can look at the fancystats and posts on the Devils board here and Twitter and realize that Marino is asswater and Holtz is doing a whole lot of nothing. Your own fan base doesn't want the players you're offering, so why would the Wild? Brodin has an NMC and we're not rebuilding, so there is zero reason to trade him, especially for the Devils rejects. Get a clue.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Yes , there is. He will be 31 years old next year and doesn’t fit any window this team has at all.
Brodin will play atleast another 5 years and with how loaded Minnesota is with talent coming it’s a silly take

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Brodin will play atleast another 5 years and with how loaded Minnesota is with talent coming it’s a silly take
Brodin may play another 5 years but those years will be in decline and more prone to injury. Hes expensive , he’s not going to be here for a contending team and he is a poor playoff performer. Sorry that hurts your butt

ref19

Oct 3, 2017

Brodin may play another 5 years but those years will be in decline and more prone to injury. Hes expensive , he’s not going to be here for a contending team and he is a poor playoff performer. Sorry that hurts your butt
lol, you are such a chode. He has one of the best contracts in the league signed for 4 more years at 6 per.

Reactions: aylib

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

lol, you are such a chode. He has one of the best contracts in the league signed for 4 more years at 6 per.
I’d love to be rid of that contract if it meant we got what was offered in this thread.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Wild have no need for any additional "Top 6 winger in the Making"s, that is the lowest priority on a team with Kaprizov and Boldy. The Wild have their own prospect pool for maybes there, and get back $12MM in cap space at the end of next season if they deem it an issue. The Wild only have one line carrying LD, they would be looking to do the same thing as Jersey here in adding a quality defender.
That's fine and frankly I think the Devils could do better looking elsewhere Brodin is 30 and only has 2 seasons in the last 9 where he has played more than 73 games, then twice 73 times and then 68 and 69 doesn't hold well long term for a team taking him on at this stage.

Minny is also out of the playoffs and while one of their top 6, Rossi, will get better that's probably offset by Zuccarello starting next season aged 37 so the muddling middle will stay the same.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's fine and frankly I think the Devils could do better looking elsewhere Brodin is 30 and only has 2 seasons in the last 9 where he has played more than 73 games, then twice 73 times and then 68 and 69 doesn't hold well long term for a team taking him on at this stage.

Minny is also out of the playoffs and while one of their top 6, Rossi, will get better that's probably offset by Zuccarello starting next season aged 37 so the muddling middle will stay the same.

69 and 53 games were full seasons in 19-20 and 20-21...

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

The Wild are "muddling middle" while playing with $14MM less cap space than everyone else in the league. That restriction falls off by the playoffs next year, and if they accrue cap space during the season, they can freely spend that cap even during next season. Team ran into a bad injury year, it happens to teams, but the young core has shown some very good play, and keeping a strong defender like Brodin around is only a good thing while the team is looking to be competitive.

He has an NMC, and is the top player at his position, LD is the weakest part of this current roster, weakening it further to add another winger makes no sense organizationally. This proposal takes no account for the Wild's needs at all.

I did not say anything bad about the Devil's players in this proposal, but they don't come close to making sense for the Wild to acquire at the cost of Brodin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
69 and 53 games were full seasons in 19-20 and 20-21...
Okay i just did a quick look so half the seasons he does better half not and at age 30 that's a risk.

That being said Tanev was always injured then went onto Calgary and was relatively healthy.

I just don't see Minny trading him but the offer was fair value and might actually make Minny better long term as well.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Okay i just did a quick look so half the seasons he does better half not and at age 30 that's a risk.

That being said Tanev was always injured then went onto Calgary and was relatively healthy.

I just don't see Minny trading him but the offer was fair value and might actually make Minny better long term as well.
Offer wasn’t fair at all for brodin and isn’t better for Minnesota long term

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Brodin is a top 5 defensive Dman in the league, at the very least. Some metrics have him as the best.

I wouldn't move him for Holtz and a 1st in the 20's alone, nvm having to send back an early 2nd.

Insulting offer, or perhaps the OP has no idea who and what Brodin actually is.

I am not sure where the insult is.
If you look at the charts, Marino/Graves pairing was our #1 pairing last year on a 100+ pt team and Marino was our best defenseman playing against the toughest opponents. It was a real coming out party.

He's having a more difficult year babysitting, but is still our best all around defenseman by far.

Holz is a first rounder, 7th OA who is really getting his first chance and has 13g to show for it playing third and fourth line minutes.

Maybe you don't like first round picks?

I get that maybe you want more value, but insulting? Hardly.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad