Proposal: New Jersey - Minnesota

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Lets face it the Devils are having a disappointment of a seaaon this yea. They need a legit strong top pairing defensman who can be leaned on in a more defensive role to play with Luke Hughes/Dougie Hamilton/Simon Nemec. Brodin seems to fit that mold and is signed for 4 more seasons which is perfect for the Devils. The 2nd round pick balances the deal a bit as the Devils still want to have some decent picks for this summers after what would be back to back years with no 1st rounder. A 2nd would be a good add for them to draft a forward or goalie.

To NJD : Jonas Brodin & a Minnesota's 2024 2nd Round pick

To MIN : The Devils 2024 1st round pick , John Marino & Alexander Holtz

The Wild upgrade their pick to a 1st round pick so that is a plus. They also get John Marino who despite having a down year is pretty much a top 4 dman who can play the penalty kill and a 2nd powerplay unit if needed. I don't want to move him but Brodin would be hopefully ans upgrade over him and Marino is also signed for 3 more seasons at a pretty fair cap hit so Minnesota saves some much needed cap space. Alexander Holtz has 24 points in 60 games while averaging only about 11 minutes a game and barley getting any time on the top powerplay unit. Lindy Ruff doesn't have the luxury of giving this kid top 6 minutes on a consistent basis but a change of scenery and more playing time in Minnesota would be huge. Having Kaprizov , Boldy & Holtz as your 3 goal scorers could be super deadly.

The Devils are in a win now mode , more so realistically next season when Lindy Ruff is gone while the Wild are still in a bit of a retool. Kaprizov is only signed for 2 more seasons so they need to start thinking about what the future will be without him possibly. An extra 1st round pick , a young talent with potential to score 30 plus goals and a 26 year old defensman who can play in the top 4 fits their timeline a bit more IMO.

Last edited:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Our defense is thin enough as it is....Brodin is the #1 guy followed by Faber. After that, it's a steep fall off the cliff followed by questionable goaltending. Wouldn't make any sense to move him.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Ah a top 4 prime yeared defensman with some term , a most likely mid 1st round pick and a young top 6 potential sniper is trash ? Good to know. The Devils can just keep then if that's the case. They will still have plenty of value to us.
Your words:

Brodin - "legit strong top pairing defensman"

We're trading a top pair defenseman making $6M a year for a defenseman who is a negative player that you're trying to get rid of, a swap from mid 2nd to mid 1st, and another negative player whose value has cratered?

Naw. You don't get top pair defenseman for a bunch of parts you don't want.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Your words:

Brodin - "legit strong top pairing defensman"

We're trading a top pair defenseman making $6M a year for a defenseman who is a negative player that you're trying to get rid of, a swap from mid 2nd to mid 1st, and another negative player whose value has cratered?

Naw. You don't get top pair defenseman for a bunch of parts you don't want.
None of the players I listed were junk. Marino is having a down year because he has to play with Luke Hughes who only has 60ish game of NHL experience under his belt and is a liability on defense right now. Not to mention the Decils goaltending has been dreadful and Lindy Ruff is the coach. Marino is more than capable of playing a top 4 role for pretty much any team in this league. Top 4 defensmen have value so he certainly isn't junk. Last year he was a +21 and had roughly the same points per game as Brodin did. He also had a better +/-. Nit to mention he is 4 years younger.

Alexander Holtz plays 11 minutes a game with guys like Christ Tierney and has 25 points in 60 games. Imagine what he could do playing in the top 6 with Kaprizov , Boldy , Zuccarello.

Boldy and Rossi were mid 1st round picks. There is a significant jump in quality from picking in the middle of the 1st round compared to the middle of the 2nd round as well.

All in all it might be a bit underwhelming of a deal for someone like Brodin but the pieces I listed are not junk. If anything I'd be happy if the Devils kept them. I can see why you wouldn't accept the deal tho.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minnesota says no and so does brodin. Stop trying to send wingers to Minnesota and a lesser Dman Minnesota doesn’t need. lol no from Minnesota

None of the players I listed were junk. Marino is having a down year because he has to play with Luke Hughes who only has 60ish game of NHL experience under his belt and is a liability on defense right now. Not to mention the Decils goaltending has been dreadful and Lindy Ruff is the coach. Marino is more than capable of playing a top 4 role for pretty much any team in this league. Top 4 defensmen have value so he certainly isn't junk. Last year he was a +21 and had roughly the same points per game as Brodin did. He also had a better +/-. Nit to mention he is 4 years younger.

Alexander Holtz plays 11 minutes a game with guys like Christ Tierney and has 25 points in 60 games. Imagine what he could do playing in the top 6 with Kaprizov , Boldy , Zuccarello.

Boldy and Rossi were mid 1st round picks. There is a significant jump in quality from picking in the middle of the 1st round compared to the middle of the 2nd round as well.

All in all it might be a bit underwhelming of a deal for someone like Brodin but the pieces I listed are not junk. If anything I'd be happy if the Devils kept them. I can see why you wouldn't accept the deal tho.
Minnesota literally has Danila Yurov coming and another winger they spend 1st round pick on. Stop with these wingers stuff. Wild aren’t trading brodin, stud d for lesser d

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin is a top 5 defensive Dman in the league, at the very least. Some metrics have him as the best.

I wouldn't move him for Holtz and a 1st in the 20's alone, nvm having to send back an early 2nd.

Insulting offer, or perhaps the OP has no idea who and what Brodin actually is.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Brodin is a top 5 defensive Dman in the league, at the very least. Some metrics have him as the best.

I wouldn't move him for Holtz and a 1st in the 20's alone, nvm having to send back an early 2nd.

Insulting offer.
Holtz is very intriguing, that is exactly the type of player we should be targeting

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
You say intriguing, i say disappointing. Certainly far from a sure thing to be anything more than a bottom six wing. Destroying our defense for years on a whimsical trade like this makes no sense.
He’s in the same exact boat as Rossi. Being needlessly dragged by their coach for small mistakes , being relegated to 4th line duties while being one of the most productive even strength forwards. He has the skills and needs the chance to play.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Yes , there is. He will be 31 years old next year and doesn’t fit any window this team has at all.
you must be much, much, much more optimistic about the D in our system if you're talking about windows and shipping Brodin off for a bunch of --at best--maybes.

Reactions: 57special

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
He’s in the same exact boat as Rossi. Being needlessly dragged by their coach for small mistakes , being relegated to 4th line duties while being one of the most productive even strength forwards. He has the skills and needs the chance to play.
Are you forgetting wild have danila yurov whose already complaining and hesitating about coming over because wild lack spot? They also spent 1st round pick on li ohgren. Wild don't need anymore Wings or other teams prospect blocking spots

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
UNlike Rossi, Holtz didn't have to deal with a life threatening condition which wiped out a year of development. Holtz has also been less productive than Rossi, and if you watch nay NJD games, less impressive. Bottom line, to me is that his feet are still pretty slow.

All that aside, MN is in no position to trade their top pairing Dman, especially with Spurgeon out for the year.

Also, us having to send our 2nd(likely a high one) back in return for their later 1st is simply ridiculous.

I don't follow NJD that much, but while any team can use a guy like Brodin, and he would certainly help them, isn't their main need goaltending and some toughness?

Reactions: Bone Density

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
How many chances has Brodin had at playoff hockey and wilted each time? I’d be totally fine with moving him and clearing his cap for anything of real value

Are you forgetting wild have danila yurov whose already complaining and hesitating about coming over because wild lack spot? They also spent 1st round pick on li ohgren. Wild don't need anymore Wings or other teams prospect blocking spots
Are you forgetting that the wild has exactly 2 top 6 wingers currently? Are you forgetting the Kap is likely gone in 2 years? Are you forgetting the Ohgren projects as a 3rd liner if he ever sees nhl ice. Are you forgetting the wild see Yurov as a center and that has them thinking Rossi may be expendable? Are you thinking about anything at all related to hockey and not blind homerism and deference to the Guerin country club????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad