GDT: New Jersey Devils vs New York Rangers: Get Schwifty Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No. They got out coached, out game planned, out physical'ed.... it's the problem with the abstract notion of fast and attacking when you run into a team that knows how to shut it down.....this shouldn't even have to be highlighted to a Devil fan, we shutdown "fast and attacking" teams for two decades exactly the way Washington did last night.

Dammit, I'm trying to optimistic here for once :laugh:

Reactions: Aethon

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No. They got out coached, out game planned, out physical'ed.... it's the problem with the abstract notion of fast and attacking when you run into a team that knows how to shut it down.....this shouldn't even have to be highlighted to a Devil fan, we shutdown "fast and attacking" teams for two decades exactly the way Washington did last night.

When you could hog tie a player and ride him all the way up the ice that style of play made sense. With the rules enforced the way they are now a fast attacking style should result in a bunch of penalties against the lane clogging clutch and grab defense. Of course the fast attacking team has to be somewhat faster than the team they are playing and have an actual plan B on how to attack that style of defense. I think the best Cap players are probably just as fast as our guys and our young players were not given any sort of plan to deal with a disciplined veteran Caps team that plays semi old school defense.

Reactions: oxman44

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
nEN7HHw.gif

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I'm not sure on the outplanned bit. Hynes seemed to have a plan. His quote was:

“When you play against Washington, you see how teams like Pittsburgh have beaten them, going through them. They are able to push them back and put pucks behind them with speed. We didn’t do that enough.”

I can't speak to whether or not this plan is feasible with the talent the Devils have, though. As you say, the Devils for years have been great at using structure to frustrate free-wheeling teams.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm not sure on the outplanned bit. Hynes seemed to have a plan. His quote was:

“When you play against Washington, you see how teams like Pittsburgh have beaten them, going through them. They are able to push them back and put pucks behind them with speed. We didn’t do that enough.”

I can't speak to whether or not this plan is feasible with the talent the Devils have, though. As you say, the Devils for years have been great at using structure to frustrate free-wheeling teams.

I think there is a difference between having a game plan and the actual on the ice way to accomplish the plan. Strategy versus tactics I think is the term. Hynes probably gave them a strategy but the young players probably need specific instruction on tactics. I get that this is the NHL and they are pros yadda yadda but they are a young team. It’s one thing to tell Hall or Palms a strategy and another to Bratt Nico PZ Butcher etc. again the Devils probably should carry about three skills coaches for the young guys. It’s all part of the learning curve and the young guys will learn with experience. Gaudreau went through a period of frustration in his second season in the league until he figured it out. The NJ guys will figure it out. Some of it is just learning to shrug off the bigger guy and double down on hard effort at moving your feet. Fast flying players sometimes forget that part of it when they are initially slowed down. Especially when they are young. I’m confident the future looks bright and the growing pains are just going to be here for a while.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
looks like Hayes, and moore still in, Now lovejoy as well. Get ready for some Holy Grenade handling , bad gaps and awful forecheck defense

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

So Lovejoy is probably playing and Stafford is coming in for Noesen? Should be Moore and Hayes out, they were trash. So much for playing the players who are playing well and not playing the ones who aren't.

Bloody-Teary-Tom-Cruise-No-Reaction-GIf.gif

Reactions: oxman44

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
So Lovejoy is probably playing and Stafford is coming in for Noesen? Should be Moore and Hayes out, they were trash. So much for playing the players who are playing well and not playing the ones who aren't.

Bloody-Teary-Tom-Cruise-No-Reaction-GIf.gif

If it turns out to be so, We Might have to score 6 again to pull this one out. Lets hope the Forwards can tun pucks over and keep play up high and in the NZ alot, cuz I dont want to see the puck deep with those D in tonight

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think we see:

Hall-Zacha-Palmeri
MoJo-Nico-Stafford
Wood-Henrique-Bratt
Gibbons-Coleman-Hayes

I'm not sure I like Wood in the top 9 to be honest, I think his even strength play hurts that third line. Think he is more fit for that 4th line or honestly in Albany developing his game.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hall - Zacha - Palms
Mojo - Henrique - Bratt
Wood - Nico - Stafford
Gibbons - Coleman - Noesen

Greene - Severson
Mueller - Santini
Butcher - Prout

I'd go with the above.

Sadly, however, once you're a veteran in the NHL, you can have the worst game of defense in the last 20 years and still not get benched, so Moore's playing.

And I'm sorry, but I'm going to need to see a lot more Prout before I just make it a given he's better than Lovejoy. He wasn't exactly stellar last night.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hall - Zacha - Palms
Mojo - Henrique - Bratt
Wood - Nico - Stafford
Gibbons - Coleman - Noesen

Greene - Severson
Mueller - Santini
Butcher - Prout

I'd go with the above.

Sadly, however, once you're a veteran in the NHL, you can have the worst game of defense in the last 20 years and still not get benched, so Moore's playing.

And I'm sorry, but I'm going to need to see a lot more Prout before I just make it a given he's better than Lovejoy. He wasn't exactly stellar last night.
Putting Nico with Wood and Stafford is sentencing him to getting pinned in the defensive zone.

kdb527

Nov 16, 2010
Hayes in for Noesen ? Breaking up the most consistent line so far this year. The 4th line has been very good so far. Hayes has not been good at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad