GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Toronto Maple Leaves 04/15/2013 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I bet you Reimer stops that shot last night.

Sure he would have stopped it! Do you remember Reimer giving up a weak wrister 7 hole to Clarkson last time we played them? From the circle with no screen and no deflection at all. A clear shot. If not for that then Reimer shuts us out that game too. And Clarkson only has two goals in 30 games.:help:

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
heeheehee. This is silly.

how's about:

are the math God's offended?

It gets worst.
M is the 18th letter, and B is the second so:

(M+B)*30 +(120 shutouts) + (drafted 20th overall) = 740
740 - 17(subtracting the Kovalchuk) * 3(the month) - 23 (the day) = 666

This means something:amazed:
thisisimportant.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another thing, Marty historically has a high GAA in games facing low amounts of shots.

For the most winning goalie ever, he doesn't have a great save percentage - especially when you consider how 'boring' the Devils are.

He also has a much higher save percentage in games he's faced more shots over his career. The stats junkies will say it isn't a large enough sample size, but his save percentage in game where he faces 25+ shots or 30+ shots is much better than his career save percentage.

Maybe if Marty gets some more work last night then he makes that save on the PP. Maybe a high quality chance happens from spending more time in our zone, and they score even earlier in the game too. He wasn't really tested until the 3rd period. I remember one he swatted away with his glove earlier in the 3rd, and that was the only time he was really tested until the goal was scored. It's hard to keep yourself in the game when you're not being tested.

Just remember last years game against the Leafs that we lost 4-3 in the shootout. We also outshot them significantly, and Marty gave up the 3rd goal, and didn't face another shot until the shootout. That was earlier in the 3rd, and he didn't have to make a stop of any kind for the last 3/4ths of the 3rd, none in OT, and then came the shootout. He got abused badly in that shootout too and gave up all 3 goals.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I've been going back and forth about what kind of coach Pete is during these last 2 months, especially during this losing streak, and I've come to the conclusion that he is a pretty damn good coach and I really hope he doesn't get the ax if the losing continues. This system that were running is VERY effective and can easily win tons of games as we saw last year when we really started to click towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. It's pretty obvious that we just don't have the horses right now because of many reasons. Yes, without Kovy things were bound to go rough, but 1 player should not completely derail a team. As much as I like guys like Henrique, Elias, Zubrus, Bernier, Carter, Clarkson, Zajac, and Gionta, there just not finishers and never have been with the exception of Elias during his prime. Pete can't do ANYTHING about that fact. That's why I have a really tough time putting a lot of blame on him especially since we outplay our opponents for large stretches of games.

I don't really think you can put a lot of blame on Pete either for the Hedberg situation. I really don't know what else he was supposed to do back then. We were still very much in the playoff race and I think it would have been a pretty tough to decision to play Kinkaid a couple games. Yea the team might have not been demoralized because of some weak goals if he played but who's to say Kinkaid wouldn't have given up the same type of goals Moose did? He has no NHL experience at all.

NJ CUP*

I've been going back and forth about what kind of coach Pete is during these last 2 months, especially during this losing streak, and I've come to the conclusion that he is a pretty damn good coach and I really hope he doesn't get the ax if the losing continues. This system that were running is VERY effective and can easily win tons of games as we saw last year when we really started to click towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. It's pretty obvious that we just don't have the horses right now because of many reasons. Yes, without Kovy things were bound to go rough, but 1 player should not completely derail a team. As much as I like guys like Henrique, Elias, Zubrus, Bernier, Carter, Clarkson, Zajac, and Gionta, there just not finishers and never have been with the exception of Elias during his prime. Pete can't do ANYTHING about that fact. That's why I have a really tough time putting a lot of blame on him especially since we outplay our opponents for large stretches of games.

I don't really think you can put a lot of blame on Pete either for the Hedberg situation. I really don't know what else he was supposed to do back then. We were still very much in the playoff race and I think it would have been a pretty tough to decision to play Kinkaid a couple games. Yea the team might have not been demoralized because of some weak goals if he played but who's to say Kinkaid wouldn't have given up the same type of goals Moose did? He has no NHL experience at all.

only worry i have with pete is the way the larrson situation is being handled. the devils will hopefully be younger next year. combining larrson and his record with the kids in florida i dont know is pdb a good coach for young players?

mcbain942*

The Devils are going to lose so many fans when Marty retires.

And I'm going to be happy with that.

any why would you be happy a NHL team would lose fans

and because of a first time hall of famer retiring do you have against him?

mcbain942*

They won't play tough hockey and take the puck into the hard areas and get their nose dirty. Perimeter passing, zone entry along the boards, cycle low, keep the puck to the outside, back to the point, shot wide, cycle back low, to the point, turnover, zone exit, dump and line change - repeat. That is what creates the huge time of possession and low quality shots. Nobody outside Zubrus and ugh, yes Clarkson will try to take the puck into the slot through a defender with a toe drag for good measure. Until you create the chaos in tight, you're not going to pull the defenders out of position and create space for the pass or rebound shot.

The only way this perimeter attack will score is if you have snipers taking one timers on quick passes out high or back door down low (think Stamkos and Ovechkin). The Devils force it to Kovy to do this and tried to get Zidlicky involved but he misses the net way too much for it to really be a threat so they just focus on Kovy when he's out there. Now that he is missing, nobody wants to shoot and honestly I think we are, and have been the absolute worst team at getting off one-timers for the better part of a decade now.

Zach didn't do them, Zajac does a very short quarter version similar to how Arnott did them, Elias is lucky if he gets good contact on them and looks like he's getting a prostate exam when attempting them, Henrique is a pure wrist shot and backhand shooter, Clarkson never gets a pass for them because he's ripping a turnaround or wrap around shot on net instead of trying to pass, and the guys that try them the most is the CBGB line and it's a whiff more times than not. D'Ags, Poni, Josefson, etc... just not part of their game as far as I've seen. Zubrus again is the only person I see that tries it with any confidence and his accuracy is less than stellar at it.

This is why our PP stinks too because it utilizes the same basic principle of perimeter possession and point shots. I think our missed shot % is close to 50% for the entire team and only one defenseman has below a 40% number and that is Mark Fayne. So you throw forwards on the point and then hope you don't take a SHG against, but we do. This is why Shaw drives me nuts. Change it to a high-low system and force a pass from behind the net once in a while to the slot and it will change the look enough to open up a shot from the point that won't hit shinpads because they have dropped down low to support the puck.

well said. No finess, no skill attempts, (all be it , they do have a lack of skill besides kovi) for now anyway....

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
Goals since 3/17:

Ovechkin/Green 25
Carolina 25
New Jersey 24
St. Louis 24

welp

Wow ... that's incredible. I knew Ovechkin and Green were on a tear, but I didn't realize St. Louis had that many in just a month. How many of them were assisted by Lecavalier?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Wow ... that's incredible. I knew Ovechkin and Green were on a tear, but I didn't realize St. Louis had that many in just a month. How many of them were assisted by Lecavalier?

Not sure if serious or trolling. But im pretty sure they mean the Blues, not the player Martin St.Louis

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol has 'anyone' ever scored 24 in a month? Maybe Gretzky when he had his 50 in 39 games?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Who would win a Leafs vs Habs series?

I'd have to make a prediction closer to the series, would be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
You think you were bored...we all already knew how it would end
Man trust me crappy times happen, it'll pass. You guys might have a chance who knows? I'd rather you than the jets atm :laugh:

However if you don't make it, this draft is damn deep, it'll be good for your franchise. To get a guy like Monahan, Nurse and etc it'll be great.

I guess its cause we trapped so much you almost fell asleep?

You can say something like that :laugh: you guys were working us the entire damn time man :laugh: Insane cycle work but I prefer the game more than being done in the offensive rushes from zone to zone than neutral zone.

jossipov you win the award for favorite obscure reference of the day!

600full-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-screenshot.jpg

You....I don't like you.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Man trust me crappy times happen, it'll pass. You guys might have a chance who knows? I'd rather you than the jets atm :laugh:

However if you don't make it, this draft is damn deep, it'll be good for your franchise. To get a guy like Monahan, Nurse and etc it'll be great.

You can say something like that :laugh: you guys were working us the entire damn time man :laugh: Insane cycle work but I prefer the game more than being done in the offensive rushes from zone to zone than neutral zone.

You....I don't like you.

We have no chance. We were done a long time ago and now the math is kicking in which will officially take us out. Rangers or Isles have to lose out and we have to win out to even have a chance and I hope to god that doesn't happen because we would completely blow our high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad