GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Toronto Maple Leaves 04/15/2013 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Marty isnt facing any shots..less than 20 in the past 5 games..including less than 15 the past 3 but outside of last night they are pretty high quality shots, and bad breaks. An odd tip and a 2-0 against Ottawa. Off Jagers skate...Two tips on SH goals against Boston. With all that said just watching him, he has lost something to father time. Let me tell ya we all do just wait til you fers hit 40. I think Marty still could be very good next year with a 45-50 game slate.Since the cap wont be an issue next year we need to find that next guy who would be happy to play 30 -35 games next year with the idea he'd be the guy in 2015 and inform Moose he's the #3

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
*You're

And it wasn't *weak* by any means. 120:37. Keep blaming Marty though..

Hi all, not trying to invade your page, but that wasn't on Marty at all. Kessel has scored that exact goal on each of Lundquist, Price and Pavelic as well. The goalie has to respect the pass across which opens up the shortside.

NJ CUP*

Just makes you look ignorant when you're slinging insults.

I apologize that you don't seem to grasp the concept that the team won't win games when scoring zero goals.

doesnt matter when the goalie gives up a bad goal. sorry man

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Hi all, not trying to invade your page, but that wasn't on Marty at all. Kessel has scored that exact goal on each of Lundquist, Price and Pavelic as well. The goalie has to respect the pass across which opens up the shortside.

nice try.

Marty's fault, shoulda posted a shutout. Geezer

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

Now now, no place for logic around these parts. It was a weak goal even though one of the best shooters in the game got one by him...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

"Invade" all you want with that avatar.:naughty:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Another thing, Marty historically has a high GAA in games facing low amounts of shots.

For the most winning goalie ever, he doesn't have a great save percentage - especially when you consider how 'boring' the Devils are.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008

We're just cranky because anyone on our team that would have taken that shot would have hit the goalie in the crest.

NJ CUP*

Not one person has agreed with you on this (including leafs fans) so I'm not sure why you're apologizing...

thats fine....still should've made the save. sorry but we are talking about the "greatest" goalie of all time right? its not like mario beat him with that shot last night. heck it wasnt even sid. we are talking about phil kessel yes hes good but marty is the "greatest" should've made the save

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The Devils are going to lose so many fans when Marty retires.

And I'm going to be happy with that.

I was about to post similarly but I like my avy ;)

If the goalie doesn't get a shutout, we lose. But its the goalie's fault we are losing somehow.

It might not have been on Moose during that dead stretch but at least the team was scoring then. Moose just killed their confidence further with back breaking goals against like the game against Toronto and WPG. that's how I view these differently. Marty has gotten very little support even if he hasn't been playing at all-star caliber.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
The Devils are going to lose so many fans when Marty retires.

And I'm going to be happy with that.

Why..as much as I root for the player, I root for the laundry more. The one thing that can be found is a goalie. Have no doubt we will find one

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Why..as much as I root for the player, I root for the laundry more. The one thing that can be found is a goalie. Have no doubt we will find one

But the casual fans? When we have average at best teams for a 3-5 year stint? They're gone.

It'll be an interesting time to say the least though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
NJ CUP is a notorious troll.

has Marty given up some bad goals? yes, he has. but last time I checked you don't win games when you don't score goals.

NJ CUP*

notorious troll with my 42 posts? come on now!

cj knows me and can vouch for me!

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Kessel's goal was weak? Now I've heard everything. The shot only went through Harrold's legs before it got to the net. That Marty (the best goaltender evar) didn't stop it should only attest to how good the shot was. Sure, Kessel isn't Stamkos, but he's not too shabby when it comes to shooting the puck. know-what-i-mean?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

If Reimer and Marty were switched last night, what do you guys think the score would have been?

Probably the same thing.

It's not like the Devils take high-quality shots.

People need to understand it's quite possible to outshoot a team 35 to 18 and only about three of the 35 shots were scoring opportunities.

That's. What. The. Devils. Do.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
An observation and question.

You have to admit that the Devils are possessing well. They are winning board battles, cycling and getting point shots. However, these shots never seem to produce anything. Is it because these shots create no anxiety from the opponent (too weak, too innacurate)? What's different about the myriad of Devils's point shots relative to other teams? It's not like teams are scoring Kessel-esque goals on a routine basis.

They won't play tough hockey and take the puck into the hard areas and get their nose dirty. Perimeter passing, zone entry along the boards, cycle low, keep the puck to the outside, back to the point, shot wide, cycle back low, to the point, turnover, zone exit, dump and line change - repeat. That is what creates the huge time of possession and low quality shots. Nobody outside Zubrus and ugh, yes Clarkson will try to take the puck into the slot through a defender with a toe drag for good measure. Until you create the chaos in tight, you're not going to pull the defenders out of position and create space for the pass or rebound shot.

The only way this perimeter attack will score is if you have snipers taking one timers on quick passes out high or back door down low (think Stamkos and Ovechkin). The Devils force it to Kovy to do this and tried to get Zidlicky involved but he misses the net way too much for it to really be a threat so they just focus on Kovy when he's out there. Now that he is missing, nobody wants to shoot and honestly I think we are, and have been the absolute worst team at getting off one-timers for the better part of a decade now.

Zach didn't do them, Zajac does a very short quarter version similar to how Arnott did them, Elias is lucky if he gets good contact on them and looks like he's getting a prostate exam when attempting them, Henrique is a pure wrist shot and backhand shooter, Clarkson never gets a pass for them because he's ripping a turnaround or wrap around shot on net instead of trying to pass, and the guys that try them the most is the CBGB line and it's a whiff more times than not. D'Ags, Poni, Josefson, etc... just not part of their game as far as I've seen. Zubrus again is the only person I see that tries it with any confidence and his accuracy is less than stellar at it.

This is why our PP stinks too because it utilizes the same basic principle of perimeter possession and point shots. I think our missed shot % is close to 50% for the entire team and only one defenseman has below a 40% number and that is Mark Fayne. So you throw forwards on the point and then hope you don't take a SHG against, but we do. This is why Shaw drives me nuts. Change it to a high-low system and force a pass from behind the net once in a while to the slot and it will change the look enough to open up a shot from the point that won't hit shinpads because they have dropped down low to support the puck.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
..This is why Shaw drives me nuts. Change it to a high-low system and force a pass from behind the net once in a while to the slot and it will change the look enough to open up a shot from the point that won't hit shinpads because they have dropped down low to support the puck.

I know this is a staple in the Flyers's PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad