New Jersey Devils to draft #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Oh classic DD. Give me some players like Sevs/Santini/Merrill ect ect anyday :laugh:. You are lucky to ever get someone to even play a NHL game even in the 2nd round ect ect. :popcorn:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If only DD was our head scout. We'd never miss on picks and we'd be in the Cup finals every year with our center depth of Nico-Barzal-Point, Kucherov and Simmonds on the wing while swindling Provorov and Werenski in there somehow as well. Who knows how we'd wind up with the #1 overall pick last year as well as 3 of the top 16 players in the 2015 draft but with DD running the show, anything is possible.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
The Devils bought Marcus Johansson for $500,000. I am disappointed with what Johansson's impact (or lack thereof) has been thus far and am skeptical he will have a place long term on this team because of his concussions, but that trade was just an absolute freebie for the Devils.

The Devils traded the 2nd rounder they got from Florida along with Marc Savard's contract for 2 bodies. The contract was a big cap number (meaningless, they were nowhere near cap), but only $500k in actual cash. The 2nd piece of the deal was a 3rd they got from Toronto as compensation for Lou, which was happening with or without a draft pick being exchanged.

So those two picks cost the Devils $500k, and they turned them into and established NHL winger. You can't complain or question that trade at all.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
If only DD was our head scout. We'd never miss on picks and we'd be in the Cup finals every year with our center depth of Nico-Barzal-Point, Kucherov and Simmonds on the wing while swindling Provorov and Werenski in there somehow as well. Who knows how we'd wind up with the #1 overall pick last year as well as 3 of the top 16 players in the 2015 draft but with DD running the show, anything is possible.

He actually said that at one point in the fairly recent past, it might have been last off season. Paraphrasing but "if I had been head scout the Devils wouldn't have been in this situation the past couple years".

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He actually said that at one point in the fairly recent past, it might have been last off season. Paraphrasing but "if I had been head scout the Devils wouldn't have been in this situation the past couple years".

I've received PMs in agreement, ignore the negativity from the naysayers

Anyone could have done better than DC his last decade here.

Look back at old draft day threads and you will see how almost everyone here was mad at our picks up through 2015.

Now that the season is over I will start researching this year's prospects and provide Castron with my suggestions.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I've received PMs in agreement

Look back at old draft day threads and you will see how almost everyone here was mad at our picks up through 2015.

Now that the season is over I will start researching this year's prospects and provide Castron with my suggestions.

yea no you haven't

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've received PMs in agreement

Lmao

Please just stop

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The best way to sum up DD is him constantly saying how dumb the Devils were for not drafting Denis Malgin and how much he loved him at the time but...

IMG_0151.PNG

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think we could move down with our draft pick a bit perhaps to pick up like an extra 3rd and then maybe move the pick for a play or something.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Agreed. Despite him flaming out Gelinas is actually a 2nd round success story. People really overrate those picks, I think they have like a 25% chance of even reaching the NHL?

Nah, I'd say over half eventually play in the NHL. 8 of the 2nd round picks from 2009 have yet to play in the NHL, and there were 31 2nd round picks that year. I would not call Gelinas a 'success story' per se but I don't think the Devils' scouts have a ton to be ashamed about with that selection; Gelinas had NHL level skills but just couldn't figure the league out.

2nd round picks don't make it all that often, but I'm not going to complain about near-misses in that round. It's when teams reach in that round and then the player is terrible where I get confused with the process. As it stands, I'd rank only 6 2009 draft picks as large successes - O'Reilly, Tatar, Silvferberg, Lehner, Orlov, Dumolin. And that's about the ratio of impactful players versus non-impactful players - 1 in 5 2nd rounders.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I've received PMs in agreement, ignore the negativity from the naysayers

There are a good amount of picks you and I have agreed on. Just off the top of my head - Tedenby and Zacha.

But once it gets to "I should have been head scout" you've completely jumped the shark.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How is Castron’s history at picking defenders beyond Werenski? Just curious if there is any real track record for his preferences and results. Of course I’m excluding his NJ defense picks since they are very recent.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
How is Castron’s history at picking defenders beyond Werenski? Just curious if there is any real track record for his preferences and results. Of course I’m excluding his NJ defense picks since they are very recent.

I don't think Castron picked Werenski. I'm pretty sure Jarmo had taken over heading the selection process at that point, part of the reason that Castron left for New Jersey.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think Castron picked Werenski. I'm pretty sure Jarmo had taken over heading the selection process at that point, part of the reason that Castron left for New Jersey.

I’d never seen that before but yeah if he lost some of his autonomy there makes sense he’d do what seemed to be a lateral move on paper.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Ville Siren had taken over as head scout, but both he and Castron are based near Ann Arbor. So they probably had plenty of looks at Werenski for the USNTDP and University of Michigan.

Probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but the NHL Network has been showing some of the U18 games. I haven't had the time to watch yet, but it seems like the US defense has been all over the place. They aren't 2018 picks, but apparently Jack Hughes and Alexis Lafreniere have been stealing the show.

If Sault Ste. Marie makes the OHL finals, hopefully the NHL Network shows some of the games. Rasmus Sandin has been steadily moving up various rankings and might be a consideration in our neighborhood of the Draft.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Best. Player. Available. Hopefully it's a dman considering our current team needs, but if not, don't reach and pass over a better forward prospect. Our team needs can change over night. For all we know Shero can sign and trade for dmen and both Zacha and McLeod can bust.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My three picks that the Devils may draft.

1. Bodi Wilde
2. Joel Farabee
3. Rasmus Kupari

I actually love Farabee, but I would be shocked if the Devils drafted a LW in the first round. It's the deepest position in the organization. Kupari has a high ceiling but a low floor. The only way I could see the Devils drafting a C that high would be if Veleno somehow fell -- he has the high-speed/smarts combo Shero/Castron love and plays terrific two-way hockey. But I'm going to do my own list of likely Devils targets (keeping in mind guys who have a chance to be available at #17).

1. Ty Smith
2. Bode Wilde
3. K'Andre Miller
4. Alex Alexeyev
5. Jett Woo

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Best. Player. Available. Hopefully it's a dman considering our current team needs, but if not, don't reach and pass over a better forward prospect. Our team needs can change over night. For all we know Shero can sign and trade for dmen and both Zacha and McLeod can bust.

I don't see either player as a 'bust'. Zacha has not really tapped into his offensive potential, true -- but he could be a very good, Radek Faksa-type third line center even if he tops off as a 40-point guy. McLeod's size/smarts/two-way play are all very very tantalizing, and his skating is just off the charts, it's majestic. I can't see any way he doesn't make it as at least a valuable, middle-6 forward.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't see either player as a 'bust'. Zacha has not really tapped into his offensive potential, true -- but he could be a very good, Radek Faksa-type third line center even if he tops off as a 40-point guy. McLeod's size/smarts/two-way play are all very very tantalizing, and his skating is just off the charts, it's majestic. I can't see any way he doesn't make it as at least a valuable, middle-6 forward.
They probably won't be, but they might be. And some random D prospect in our system now might end up being an all star. It's so hard to predict how a team will look in 3-5 years. It seems like our forwards will be stronger than our d core, but who knows? Maybe Severson and Butcher take huge steps forward and we make a trade. All the sudden our d looks fine.

Point is, select the best player regardless of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad