Post-Game Talk: New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers - 10/14/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Girardi was the problem now he’s gone, Staal was the problem now he’s getting a reduced role, you fire AV and then what? It’s amazing people around here think you just wave a magic wand and the team will miraculously turn it around. Great we made the playoffs for a nice stretch but we didn’t ****ing win it all. The window has closed, it’s time to sell. Getting rid of a few guys and the coach won’t do a damn thing, this team isn’t good enough. They need to stock the cupboard and go young.

Worked for the Pens, and the Isles last year. New Coach Effect.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Girardi was the problem now he’s gone, Staal was the problem now he’s getting a reduced role, you fire AV and then what? It’s amazing people around here think you just wave a magic wand and the team will miraculously turn it around. Great we made the playoffs for a nice stretch but we didn’t ****ing win it all. The window has closed, it’s time to sell. Getting rid of a few guys and the coach won’t do a damn thing, this team isn’t good enough. They need to stock the cupboard and go young.

Lol Staal has been getting top 4 minutes almost all season, not really a reduced role.

AV has needed to go for a multitude of reasons, player usage is amongst them but how about getting a coach in here who under stands the value of fore check pressure and not willingly giving up your own blue line? Or someone who will ensure that this team doesn't look like ass for large stretches over an 82 game season? How about a coach who actually treats his players fairly?

AV is a f***ing horrible coach who has been propped up by elite goaltending his entire career.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don’t think anyone disagrees that a team needs high end young talent, but they don’t just appear

Gorton is committed to keeping picks and building that way

The team drafted two top 6 centers last draft. This draft they’ll take a defenseman or a winger (or both if they have two picks)

These things don’t happen overnight

Of course it won't happen overnight, I'm just very confused about what the direction of this franchise is. A team that believes they're still contenders doesnt make that Stepan trade and get futures and question marks in return.

A team that knows they're not a contender looks to the future and sees two players like McD and Zuccarello approaching UFA and trades them for young talent you sorely need.

I fear that we are stuck in the middle, which is probably the worst place to be.

Montreal is in the same boat and their fans seem just about ready to tear down the (empty) Bell Centre.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
For sure, but the players should have some accountability. A players only closed door meeting seems to be needed to wake up these stiffs. Idk what happens behind the scenes but McD is too reserved to be a C.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Worked for the Pens, and the Isles last year. New Coach Effect.
Yeah it happens very often. A new coach often fires up the room and gets everyone fighting to prove themselves again.

This team is obviously done with AV. Its really obvious if you’ve ever seen a team suck right before a coach was replaced. We’re watching it now. He needs to go yesterday.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I think one of our D problems is C problem and has been for a long time. I feel like we made a good move in getting Zibby, a step in the right direction. But we are feeling the loss of Stepan on the D side. We need real top line Centers, not more D men. I know easier said than done but still.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Of course it won't happen overnight, I'm just very confused about what the direction of this franchise is. A team that believes they're still contenders doesnt make that Stepan trade and get futures and question marks in return.

A team that knows they're not a contender looks to the future and sees two players like McD and Zuccarello approaching UFA and trades them for young talent you sorely need.

I fear that we are stuck in the middle, which is probably the worst place to be.

Montreal is in the same boat and their fans seem just about ready to tear down the (empty) Bell Centre.
Gorton is building for the future, though. You can't expect playoff teams to just completely blow it up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Completely ripping it apart is a dumb idea on every level, especially when you want to do so by moving guys like Zucc (who IMO, they should trade should this persist) for mediocre talent.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
We need generational foot soldiers. Soldiers like Aaron Voros and Jason McAllister. We need them all. Service guarantees victories.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

The direction I see is they are still a contender, but building for the future with young pieces. I'm not sure if that counts as being in the middle, but I don't know

There's no one way to build a contending team. Same as there's no guarantee tanking leads to anything

We're 6 games into the season, I'd be more concerned if management was panicking and trying to trade everything that isn't bolted down

If the team is bad by the deadline, you'll see approaching UFA like Nash, Grabner and the like moved. Trading McDonagh and Zucc at this stage of the game is shortsighted, to me :dunno:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Firing their coach did wonders for the Pens, and they were worse than we are right now. Coaching changes help, they're not fairydust, its a real thing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Should see what we can get in return for Kreider while he still has some value in other teams eyes. I don't think he's going to do more here. Maybe he will develop elsewhere, in a different setting with different people around him.

He really doesn't have to do more...he's already like a 25 goal 50 point guy who is an elite possession driver.

Reactions: Holocene

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is a scalding hot take.

Board favorite and "untouchable" Zuccarello has scored exactly 1 more goal than Kreider. Is he with out heart too?

Kreider might not be lacking heart, but he is definitely lacking something that is holding him back from being an elite winger.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This is a scalding hot take.

Board favorite and "untouchable" Zuccarello has scored exactly 1 more goal than Kreider. Is he with out heart too?

What does Zuccarello have to do with anything I said? What does scoring goals have anything to do with what I said? Kreider doesn't show up more often than he does show up. If he played like he did in the last period of the playoffs against Ottawa last year even 50% of the time I'd be ok with him - but he doesn't and he never has. Goes into beast mode every once in a while and then vanishes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider might not be lacking heart, but he is definitely lacking something that is holding him back from being an elite winger.

Yeah, him and just about every other winger in this league has something holding them back.

I don't get why he gets hated on for being something he isn't instead of being appreciated for what he is, but to each their own I guess.

SidCity

Sep 25, 2017
CGY
Hey guys. I don't think will like what I have to say but here's my take as an outsider.

I just don't think the Rangers are that good. I mean they're not as bad as their record but I don't think they will make the playoffs and here's my breakdown of the roster.

Kreider: Career high 53 points.
Zibanejad: Career high 54 points if you pro-rate last year.
Buchnevich: I just don't think he's ready to take the next step.

On most teams, what would be a 2nd line is your team's 1st line. I don't think Kreider is consistent enough in his play to hit 65+ points. Zibanejad is just not a 1st line center and Buchnevich again...shows flashes but just isnt consistent enough.

Kevin Hayes is not a 2nd line center. His role should be that of a 3rd line center. I don't know the reason why Stepan was traded away but it seems like a major issue now that he isn't eating up minutes and match-ups. Your guys center depth is non-existent and that's the most important position as a forward.

Rick Nash - the game is past him. I don't think he can play anymore in a significant capacity.

JT Miller - like the guy but again - can he remain consistent?

Guys like Desharnais, Vesey, Cracknell, Grabner just aren't going to provide much on a nightly basis. I don't know who Paul Carey is.

Zuccarello is awesome.

In summary - the top line talent isn't there so players are being put in roles that they aren't built for. What was once Stepan/Brassard has turned into Zibanejad/Hayes. I know which one I would rather have and it isn't the current situation.

Defence:

McDonagh - awesome
Shattenkirk - awesome
Skjei - awesome
Everyone else is trash or replacement parts at best. Staal, Holden, Kampfer. I don't see DeAngelo making much of a difference this year.

Shattenkirk was a great add. He'll provide offence but he'll give up almost as much as he gets on the offence end. Ask Blues fans - he's a player that's amazing but will drive you nuts as well.

Goalies.....Lundqvist is one of my favorite all-time goalies....but he just doesn't have it anymore....not enough to stay consistent through a full season and if this team is going to succeed...they're going to need rock solid goaltending throughout the year.

I apologize for being rather harsh and I know a lot of people will disagree but that's just my take as an outsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad