GDT: New Jersey (24-18-3) @ Carolina (26-15-5) 7:30pm (MSGSN2, ESPN+)

Camille the Eel

Thinking on the end of the game, that play by Bratt with a few minutes left where he drove to the net and then cut back 180 degrees away from the net and literally faked the guy covering him right off his feet must be mentioned.

I mean the defensive player literally went flying on his ass. You never see that. It was maybe the most dramatic “faked the guy out of his jock” I’ve ever seen. Highlight reel stuff.

Only sorry he didn’t finish with a goal when he turned back towards the net. Slavin knocked his pass away when he was trying to set up Nico for the tap in.

He should have shot the puck there. He had got free for a brief moment for a great look at the net. The goalie was deep in the crease and he had net to shoot at and Slavin, if anything, was in the goalies way. Bratt and Nico outnumbered Slavin 2 on 1, should there have been a rebound.

I wish there was some way the Devils could drill Bratt’s pass first mentality out of him. Especially now, with Hughes and all the others out, we need him to be shooting the puck first.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I purposely liked two more posts when I saw you were on 49998.

I’ve screen shot the nice round number.

View attachment 810595
I probably could have edited that out, like the screen from the game I’m watching on my walk lol.

But it’s like when the odometer hits 100000 or some milestone.

1706256373716.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I wish I had some valuable insight but the reason they lost is because Ruff is a moron abd our goaltending still sucks.

Last edited:

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
i can’t wait for us not to make a move and address the gaping hole in net and piss the season away. This team is a f***ing joke with the first goal against.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It isn’t just Bratt, unfortunately. Many of the players have a pass first mentality, almost looking for the perfect play.

There was a play where Haula had a bunch of space at the top of the circles, and he opted to wait for his linemates to come in and attempted to make a pass that failed. Even Dano commented on wishing he would fire one on net.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have to admit, this morning, I'm feeling a way becuase of the McLeod news. I'm certainly not defending MM at all BUT there's never been anything in his Devils's career to make him unlikable and the notion that he was here one day playing his best hockey and suddenly he was just exfiltrated to Antarctica left this empty, raw feeling. I don't think I had digested the MM loss while the Devils were getting caved in during the second.

Ultimately, we will all move one. But I for one was a bit extra saucy last night. This world can really suck sometimes but we still have the luxury of typing letters on little device and letting a few thousand people on rock on space know how great hockey is.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
I have to admit, this morning, I'm feeling a way becuase of the McLeod news. I'm certainly not defending MM at all BUT there's never been anything in his Devils's career to make him unlikable and the notion that he was here one day playing his best hockey and suddenly he was just exfiltrated to Antarctica left this empty, raw feeling. I don't think I had digested the MM loss while the Devils were getting caved in during the second.

Ultimately, we will all move one. But I for one was a bit extra saucy last night. This world can really suck sometimes but we still have the luxury of typing letters on little device and letting a few thousand people on rock on space know how great hockey is.
Im glad that Im not the only one who feels this way

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We’re so bad in back to backs that we lost to another team on theirs lol.
Post of thread - might as well lock it.

This Brandon guy seems like a narcissist. Those people when exhibiting symptoms should be avoided. He should get therapy for it so he can live a normal life because it can't be easy needing what he needs to feel right.

I'm worried about Ruff. My inside source told me that after the game, he told his assistants "Holtz had a great game. I love that kid." so I'm fearful that he may have sustained permanent damage.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

It definitely is that way when looking at his recent career. And it's easy to feel that sort of empty disappointment..

But the way I look at it, if he made such a mistake before, and if he is guilty of such a alleged assault or even around as a semi-passive participant of it, or knew but didn't tell, he is reaping what he sowed.

As JrFisher54 said here a few days ago, if it weren't for the coverup by hockey Canada and the lack of any party coming forward before that, perhaps he never would have had a career with us to start with. He only had this career because it was shoved under the rug for so long (if everything proves to be true)

I don't know if he is guilty obviously, but there are consequences in life for different behaviors and this is the hard reality.

Did we miss him as a player in this game? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
After the Devils lose to the hottest team in the east and arguably the best team in the NHL on the road without Jack Hughes, half of their defense, and horrendous goaltending, that’s suddenly the deciding factor in making it more likely than not that they’ll miss?

Okay.
Looks like they haven't adjusted the odds from Wednesday yet, but that's all I was saying. Making the playoffs basically a coin flip today, barely more likely than not to make it, could easily flip whenever they update these odds.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 6.16.58 AM.png

The moneypuck playoff odds for NJ are even worse but I don't have any reason to trust their model, betting lines / odds have been shown to be reliable predictors historically.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Looks like they haven't adjusted the odds from Wednesday yet, but that's all I was saying. Making the playoffs basically a coin flip today, barely more likely than not to make it, could easily flip whenever they update these odds.

View attachment 810747

The moneypuck playoff odds for NJ are even worse but I don't have any reason to trust their model, betting lines / odds have been shown to be reliable predictors historically.
There are just so many teams bunched up trying to make it. Philly +100, PIT -130, DET +130, Tampa -280, NYI +235.

Even if Philly continues to fall off, there’s still the Pens to worry about for that final division spot (which may be easier to get than the WC). We’re in a very tough spot.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
There are just so many teams bunched up trying to make it. Philly +100, PIT -130, DET +130, Tampa -280, NYI +235.

Even if Philly continues to fall off, there’s still the Pens to worry about for that final division spot (which may be easier to get than the WC). We’re in a very tough spot.
Pittsburgh is a weird bunch this year. A very bipolar team. Jarry has 5 shutouts! Crosby us having a MVP season at least for them team wise. We'll painfully stay in this thing as long as we are plus .500. They can play .500 until St.Patricks day and then get hot and get in. If that occurs imagine if we had a hot goalie to boot!

Reactions: Dialamo

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
i can’t wait for us not to make a move and address the gaping hole in net and piss the season away. This team is a f***ing joke with the first goal against.
I would think GMTF is trying, and I would rather him pass then make a stupid deal. Elliot Friedman stated that Montreal is asking for the moon for Jake Allen...that is a sign that it is not a good year to acquire a goalie.

Camille the Eel

I only wish there was a quick fix for this season - and yes goalie would be the closest thing. The odds of finding such a diamond without having to restructure the entire club (which is already reeling from so much) to pay for it (in which case it’s not a quick fix anymore) are very long.

And we are already falling out of contention. Another loss or two will put us way behind in the backstretch. It’s already like 5 points and even that becomes very hard to make up when you are challenging multiple teams and many are chasing you and close too.

Sigh

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It isn’t just Bratt, unfortunately. Many of the players have a pass first mentality, almost looking for the perfect play.

There was a play where Haula had a bunch of space at the top of the circles, and he opted to wait for his linemates to come in and attempted to make a pass that failed. Even Dano commented on wishing he would fire one on net.
Usually I disagree about taking low % shots just for the sake of doing it, but when you're playing a dude like Slavin and a team like the Canes and you have some space you really do just need to rip it and hope for a bounce or something. One thing Jack isn't afraid of is to just trust his shooting. It seems like guys like Bratt and Hischier go through phases where they're feeling it and fire away, but then they fall back into this pattern as soon as they start to hit a drought.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

The McLeod thing is just the turd on top of the shit sundae that is this season. I said it earlier this season that the pessimist in me was just waiting for his name to be dropped now that he's become a good player. Although if he's guilty, I don't care how good he is, he should be buried under the prison with the rest of the rapists.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The McLeod thing is just the turd on top of the shit sundae that is this season. I said it earlier this season that the pessimist in me was just waiting for his name to be dropped now that he's become a good player. Although if he's guilty, I don't care how good he is, he should be buried under the prison with the rest of the rapists.
Yeah if his name had dropped in late March last year it’d certainly feel less like a loss

Reactions: Whaddagoal

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

The Hurricanes were over passing a lot too. Prob could've scored a few more goals if they didn't.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would think GMTF is trying, and I would rather him pass then make a stupid deal. Elliot Friedman stated that Montreal is asking for the moon for Jake Allen...that is a sign that it is not a good year to acquire a goalie.
Prices will come down like they always do. Teams can ask for the moon right now because they have no motivation to sell quickly. As the deadline nears and teams out of contention look to get picks and future assets for players, the prices will drop. It’s a standoff until time pressure becomes an element.

The only catch here is certain teams with goalies on the block are going to start to lose their market when other teams move first.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad