Rumor: New Head of Hockey Operations for the Flames?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Neither do I, the only way I replace Feaster is with a GM that has a track record of rebuilding (aka Burke).

I agree actually. I'd like Burke. He is very underrated because he's gutsy and does make some bad calls. He's built some good teams though. Unfortunately for him, they usually turn the corner the moment he's canned. Nonis is really only an NHL GM because he keeps inheriting Burke's teams.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Sutter really gets **** on alot because of his last few trades. You remove the latest Jokinen deal and the Phaneuf deal and his track record was actually quite impressive.

The Phaneuf deal was not bad; it was the handling of the assets after they came to Calgary that was terrible.

White (and Brett Sutter) for The Anton (and Tom Kotsopolous)?
Hagman for nothing?
Stajan scoring at a 50-60 point pace in the top-six, then suddenly banished to the 3rd/4th line 50 games into his Calgary career (and then scores at nearly a 50-point pace when he gets a top-six job again 2 1/2 years later, even with no PP time)

That's TERRIBLE asset handling. A 50-60 point two-way center, a consistent 30-point defenseman who plays a solid defensive game, and a decent two-way middle-six winger is a GREAT return for what Phaneuf was (and is now, for that matter).

Think about it. Compare the return of Stajan was a proven ~55-60 point center with a solid defensive game, Hagman was a gritty two-way winger between 40-50 points (on pace for about 50 at the time of the trade), and White was a ~30 point defenseman. A comparable deal in performance right now?

Phaneuf for Richards+Brown+Corvo.

Doesn't sound so bad, does it? But that's because those guys have big names. The Phaneuf trade was even, possibly in Calgary's trade. And Calgary WASTED the solid group of assets they received.

Imagine if the Leafs traded Phaneuf and got that kind of return back, and didn't waste the assets. It would be called a GREAT trade. Seriously. Stajan scoring 50 points the past few years, White on the D instead of Babchuk.

It certainly would have made for a better team than what actually happened.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Phaneuf deal was not bad all right. It was downright terrible. Classic example of quality vs quantity.

The assets that were brought in failed to be effective, its just that simple. Then add to that the rumors that other GMs not only did not know that Phaneuf was on the block, but claim they could have made a better offer. Also - losing Keith Aulie was just icing on th cake.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Phaneuf deal was not bad all right. It was downright terrible. Classic example of quality vs quantity.

The assets that were brought in failed to be effective, its just that simple. Then add to that the rumors that other GMs not only did not know that Phaneuf was on the block, but claim they could have made a better offer. Also - losing Keith Aulie was just icing on th cake.
Ugh. I won't say it was the worst trade Sutter made but boy was it right there near the bottom of the list. At least Stajan has turned into an effective two-way forward.

The only trade I'd say was worse was Jokinen/Prust for Higgins/Kotalik. Higgins was beyond useless and Kotalik was only good for the fact that we got to hear a new goal song when he scored. The fact we had to give up a 2nd to dump him on someone else was a joke.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ugh. I won't say it was the worst trade Sutter made but boy was it right there near the bottom of the list. At least Stajan has turned into an effective two-way forward.

The only trade I'd say was worse was Jokinen/Prust for Higgins/Kotalik. Higgins was beyond useless and Kotalik was only good for the fact that we got to hear a new goal song when he scored. The fact we had to give up a 2nd to dump him on someone else was a joke.

Higgins was injured for the majority of the time he was here. In Vancouver, he's proved that he can be a useful player, but we never really got to see that. Kotalik had the tools to be effective, but there was never any reason to believe that being in Calgary would somehow galvanize him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Higgins was injured for the majority of the time he was here. In Vancouver, he's proved that he can be a useful player, but we never really got to see that. Kotalik had the tools to be effective, but there was never any reason to believe that being in Calgary would somehow galvanize him.

I agree with this, the whole point of the trade was Higgins. It was unfortunate he got injured he was playing very well once acquired.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The Phaneuf deal was not bad; it was the handling of the assets after they came to Calgary that was terrible.

White (and Brett Sutter) for The Anton (and Tom Kotsopolous)?
Hagman for nothing?
Stajan scoring at a 50-60 point pace in the top-six, then suddenly banished to the 3rd/4th line 50 games into his Calgary career (and then scores at nearly a 50-point pace when he gets a top-six job again 2 1/2 years later, even with no PP time)

That's TERRIBLE asset handling. A 50-60 point two-way center, a consistent 30-point defenseman who plays a solid defensive game, and a decent two-way middle-six winger is a GREAT return for what Phaneuf was (and is now, for that matter).

Think about it. Compare the return of Stajan was a proven ~55-60 point center with a solid defensive game, Hagman was a gritty two-way winger between 40-50 points (on pace for about 50 at the time of the trade), and White was a ~30 point defenseman. A comparable deal in performance right now?

Phaneuf for Richards+Brown+Corvo.

Doesn't sound so bad, does it? But that's because those guys have big names. The Phaneuf trade was even, possibly in Calgary's trade. And Calgary WASTED the solid group of assets they received.

Imagine if the Leafs traded Phaneuf and got that kind of return back, and didn't waste the assets. It would be called a GREAT trade. Seriously. Stajan scoring 50 points the past few years, White on the D instead of Babchuk.

It certainly would have made for a better team than what actually happened.

There's two ways to look at it, you can see it this way, which is how I seen it at the time of the trade or you can see it as giving a young top pairing guy for depth players to try and win now, which is how I see it now.. It's not terrible in a sense that the players were bad, it's terrible because we should have shipped him from another young potential star, kind of like the JVR Schenn trade

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's two ways to look at it, you can see it this way, which is how I seen it at the time of the trade or you can see it as giving a young top pairing guy for depth players to try and win now, which is how I see it now.. It's not terrible in a sense that the players were bad, it's terrible because we should have shipped him from another young potential star, kind of like the JVR Schenn trade

Right. It's terrible because we were light on young talent, and yet we made a move to become even lighter on young talent. It was terrible because it was a win-now move made when we weren't close to winning now. It was terrible because Sutter basically had a two and a six unsuited and decided to go all in.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
@RogMillions: Brendan Shanahan told me he will NOT be coming to Cgy to join #Flames org. He advised Murray Edwards he will stay on with the NHL

@RogMillions: Shanahan appreciates the interest from #Flames, but elected to decline. Shanahan says #Flames have talked to many a number of people.

@RogMillions: Shanahan adds he feels for the City of Calgary right now. He was honored to visit and discuss joining #Flames but has bowed out.

With shanahan now out of the running hopefully this means we are 1 person closer to hiring Brian Burke

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
@RogMillions: Brendan Shanahan told me he will NOT be coming to Cgy to join #Flames org. He advised Murray Edwards he will stay on with the NHL

@RogMillions: Shanahan appreciates the interest from #Flames, but elected to decline. Shanahan says #Flames have talked to many a number of people.

@RogMillions: Shanahan adds he feels for the City of Calgary right now. He was honored to visit and discuss joining #Flames but has bowed out.

With shanahan now out of the running hopefully this means we are 1 person closer to hiring Brian Burke

Bring on Burke. The sooner the Flames clean house, the better off they'll be.

Feaster and co. are a unmitigated disaster in virtually every facet. Their only redeeming trait so far, has been drafting, which looks extremely promising but it's still way to early to say whether that's been a success or failure.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Thank god, bring in someone with experience aka Burke.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That's it, I'm writing a letter or something. Somebody in the Flames organization needs to know that Feaster MUST be working for another club in secret.

How can someone be that bad on purpose?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
That's it, I'm writing a letter or something. Somebody in the Flames organization needs to know that Feaster MUST be working for another club in secret.

2jadugp.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You do know Feaster doesn't hire his boss right? :help:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
@RogMillions: In NJ..#Flames Pres+CEO Ken King affirmed several candidates remain for executive position, following Shanahan declining chance.

@RogMillions: Experience critical says King..does that mean Burke, Dudley or how. About Al McInnis?? With Shanahan out many names popping up. #Flames

@RogMillions: Finally, King adds no timeline. However individual must integrate well into Cgy, and Flame org. Must be well before Season begins.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Alright, if King is remaining President, what the hell will the new "executive" be doing?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Alright, if King is remaining President, what the hell will the new "executive" be doing?

He will be President in title but will be focused on trying to build a new stadium, the new executive will oversee the hockey operations. Much like how Sherman is still GM of Colorado but Sakic is calling the shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad