Rumor: New Head of Hockey Operations for the Flames?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Hearing new head of hockey ops to Flames. Sources say high-profile NHL exec in line to replace Ken King who moves to arena project. (2)

https://twitter.com/dowbboy

ALSO:

http://west.thecheckingline.com/blog/derrick-newman/calgary-flames/rumour-day-king-out-shanny

To add to this nonsense, Jay Feaster might be on the outs as well as the confidence from ownership is apparently pretty low.

UPDATE: Shanahan and Ken King were just spotted in downtown Calgary heading into a meeting. Maybe this rumour isn't as far-fetched as once thought.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why would Shanahan and King meet if King was being let go? Unless that is, King isn't getting fired, but rather moved to a purely business role, i.e. overseeing the new arena project.

Not a big fan of Shanahan taking a key role. Very peculiar choice especially with a guy like Burke out there.

I hope the part about ownership and Feaster is true. I have no idea how anyone still be confident about his abilities.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Wow, some potential excitement before the draft!

I'd assume any new 'President/Head of Hockey Operations' would want to hire is own GM?

Either way, exciting news!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
^ Dowbiggin is reporting that King would move to the arena project.

That would be acceptable. King is great at the business aspects of organization, but his subpar hockey knowledge has been incredibly detrimental to the franchise over the last five or six years.

Wish there was a better source than Dowbiggen reporting this though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
what the hell is "the checking line" never heard of that site before.

I did some online research on Derrick Newman and all I came up with his his blog and linked in profile. I see no reason to take this seriously.

It's bad when you make Dowboy look like Bob McKenzie .

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I think that this is what a lot of people want, rather than factual information. If changes were going to happen, they wouldn't happen this close to probably (arguably) one of the more important drafts in franchise history. Bringing in new people this late could create differing points of view.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They closed this thread on the main forum. Apparently Dowbiggin isn't a credible source.

Learn to ****ing read dude.

Dowbiggen never said **** about Shanahan. The only person to actually mention Shanahan is some random blogger.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"High-profile NHL exec." Yep, he must be referring to Bettman or Daly.
technically every Gm and AGM for any NHL team is an NHL exec.

Also Colin Campbell has GM experience.

Besides why not just say the name? He is just trying to drum up hits. Dowbiggen is the Garrioch of the west.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Please let it be.

Let King move on to managing the arena/stadium and the rest of the teams under the Flames umbrella. Bring in Shanny as President, get rid of Feaster, bump Weisbrod to GM and Conroy to AGM.

A very reliable CP poster (sureLoss) has heard from some people that it may be Shannahan.

King is a great business/PR guy and should stick exclusively to that.

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
Would very much like to see more hockey type people in the organization, where as I don't see Ken King as a hockey type person.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Just like how Sutter (Darryl) was a great coach, and should have stuck to that. I don't get it, do we foster some kind of environment of playful experimentation?

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Please let it be.

Let King move on to managing the arena/stadium and the rest of the teams under the Flames umbrella. Bring in Shanny as President, get rid of Feaster, bump Weisbrod to GM and Conroy to AGM.

A very reliable CP poster (sureLoss) has heard from some people that it may be Shannahan.

And I would have to think a hockey icon like Shannahan would only help bring players to Calgary. But I must admit I believe there is zero truth to this rumor for reasons I stated above in this thread

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Courtesy of ComixZone:

Millions tweeted me back:

Quote:
@RogMillions hey Rog, have you heard any of this Shanahan/King news?
Expand
Quote:
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 24s
@PancakeCritic Yes I first heard rumours two months ago. Maybe they are coming true

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'm aware of the millions tweet, that's a very 'soft yes' to the story. Will wait until someone credible is willing to put a hard yes on it.

still, hoping for truth, and happy for you guys if it is... your franchise needs some sort of organizational shake-up in the worst way.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't care if its Shanahan or if its Roger Millions. Anybody but King would push us in the right direction

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In related news as per Feasters presser today, Craif Conroy is the new Director of Hockey Operations in Abbotsford!!

So happy to hear this!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
^ What does that mean for the Heat?

Once again, whispers are making the rounds that Calgary Flames president Ken King will relinquish his post as team president in order to oversee the club’s push for a new arena, and the club will hire a new team president to oversee the hockey operations.
King couldn’t be reached for comment Friday.
Names bandied about for the post include the NHL’s senior vice-president of hockey operations Colin Campbell, NHL vice-president of hockey and business development and director of player safety Brendan Shanahan, NHLPA special assistant to the executive director Mathieu Schneider or even Brian Burke, who is currently working for the Anaheim Ducks.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/14/calgary-flames-president-ken-king-might-be-changing-roles

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Don't want Shanahan or Campbell as I think both have tainted their reputation with poor ruining of player safety. Would LOVE Burke especially if he takes over as GM as well.

I firmly believe that the NHL runs the suspensions. Shannahan and Campbell are just puppets it seems.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I firmly believe that the NHL runs the suspensions. Shannahan and Campbell are just puppets it seems.

I don't think that at all but your allowed your beliefs, but if I had a choice in who would take over it would be Burke. He may not get the job done as quickly as people want but he gets the job done right.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Really want Burke. I'd have full confidence in him since he doesn't bend over for anyone and wants to build the kind of team you're likely to win Cups with. He's also generally great at making favorable deals and gets a lot of respect from other GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad