Rumor: New Head of Hockey Operations for the Flames?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't like Burke. He's too transparent, to the point where it insults players. There's no reason to single out players like Kadri and discuss things through the media like he does.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I know Burke and Feaster have a "friendly" relationship. I remember reading when Feaster was Tampa's GM and a GM in the AHL that Burke helped him out as he adjusted to the NHL.

(and then also helped himself by trading Shane O'Brien to him for a 1st. *ahem*)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know mods hate it, but I can confirm that if nothing else King and the organization have explored multiple options of bringing in someone with some more direct hockey knowledge to assist and or potentially take over for King depending on the situation.

Again, just my personal sources, so take it as it is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Burke would be my #1 choice, but Shanaban would be pretty cool to. You can tell he's very passionate about hockey and he's an extremely intelligent guy.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I know mods hate it, but I can confirm that if nothing else King and the organization have explored multiple options of bringing in someone with some more direct hockey knowledge to assist and or potentially take over for King depending on the situation.

Again, just my personal sources, so take it as it is.

Not sure if you know, but would King move to a different area or would he be fired?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Almost definitely stays on in the organization, and as the rumour says most likely moves on to the new arena project.

Ok, last question. If you know, is Feaster's job in jeopardy right now from the owners? Even if it's not now, you'd have to think it will when Shanny/Burke/Campbell comes in.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ok, last question. If you know, is Feaster's job in jeopardy right now from the owners? Even if it's not now, you'd have to think it will when Shanny/Burke/Campbell comes in.

I can't say I've heard anything in that regard to be honest. I know my guy was going to ask next time he had the chance. I'm somewhat worried with this portion of the rumour based solely on the fact the draft is coming so soon.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
They probably gave Feaster an opportunity and once they saw the trade returns, they knew King had to be placed elsewhere

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Feaster has been pretty transparent in the fact that Wiesbrod makes the drafting decisions and Feaster just executes. Might not affect our draft too much.

Thats exactly it. It really doesn't matter if we bring a new GM in before the draft. The scouting is essentially finished. If we had fired Feaster and hired Jim Nill a month a go, the draft list would still be nearly identical.. The big difference would be the value placed on current personnel and work regarding trades. A transition at this time wouldn't be too difficult.

I'd prefer it it to be honest. In a draft where we have so many assets, I'd prefer whomever is leading this franchise into the future to be the one making these decisions.

Trae

Calgary
Bob McKenzie just legitimized this rumour.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL VP Brendan Shanahan in CGY yesterday for dinner/conversation with CGY prez Ken King. No job offer was made but there was discussion.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 19m

It appears the Flames are looking at changing the structure of their hockey operations. Might be looking for a President of Hockey Ops.

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 19m

Can confirm that Brendan Shanahan was in Calgary yesterday to discuss the Flames with owner Murray Edwards and CEO Ken King.

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 18m

Shanahan confirmed that he was in Calgary, but would not comment further on the meeting or its contents.

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet

--------------------

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 13m

NHL VP Brendan Shanahan in CGY yesterday for dinner/conversation with CGY prez Ken King. No job offer was made but there was discussion.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m

As @dowbboy and others reported previously, CGY may be looking to hire someone to head up their hockey operations.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okay, now people can get excited.

King stepping away from hockey operations and Feaster just going away would be terrific news.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
These are good signs. I'm very excited to see what happens. Especially when I thought it would never happen and he issues surrounding the Flames will never be resolved.

This will be the rebuild, the roster is what people will see

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Besides why not just say the name? He is just trying to drum up hits. Dowbiggen is the Garrioch of the west.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 13m

NHL VP Brendan Shanahan in CGY yesterday for dinner/conversation with CGY prez Ken King. No job offer was made but there was discussion.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m

As @dowbboy and others reported previously, CGY may be looking to hire someone to head up their hockey operations.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Looks like Dowbiggen's credibility just went up. Not just trying to get hits.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Feaster has been pretty transparent in the fact that Wiesbrod makes the drafting decisions and Feaster just executes. Might not affect our draft too much.

If we are firing Feaster Weisbrod can't stay on. Feaster as made it more than clear that Weisbrod is his "hockey guy" so every move we have hated Feaster making Weisbrod has been on board with. If Feaster goes simply as it making it look like the owners are changing direction then fine but if it is because of Feaster's moves than Weisbrod has no business staying either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad