Rumor: New Head of Hockey Operations for the Flames?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For all those folks fantasizing about Feaster's demise, I doubt that very much. When does a team leave a lame duck GM as the teams spokesman just before they fire him? He is calling for meetings with the press. He is the voice of the Flames. What's more, what team in there right mind would let a man they were planning to fire, offer three first round picks in a trade? I would say these two facts alone demonstrate that the organization still stand behind Feaster.
I don't thin it's a case of "planning to fire". I think its a situation where a new head of hockey ops would possibly want to bring in their own GM and then the GM a new coach.

I am not on the fire Feaster bandwagon, but I understand people wanting their own personnel. I also think this year should be a continuation of last, with more vets being moved at the draft and towards the deadline, so there is really no point in firing Feaster until the team is finished being dismantled, but once it is I like the idea of fresh blood coming in to build the future Flames.

A thing I like about Shanahan is he might have some insight into the developmental process of the Wings, they are among the best at developing their picks.

Trae

Calgary
You'll learn quickly that mods abuse their power with hopes of taking over the world by directing all thoughts into topics less critical to the authority figures.

You asked the wrong question really. You should've asked why I took this thread into that direction?

:naughty:

:baghead:

I am deeply sorry for making a fool of myself in front of you, sir. Please accept my apology and I will vow to never again question your infinite knowledge of the HFBoards!

--------------------------

My hope out of all these rumours is that King is moved as speculated, but I think Feaster should be given at least another season.

Despite popular belief, he's made this team more skilled and younger while trying to stay competitive as was directed by management. His drafting has been excellent largely in part by him hiring Weisbrod and giving his trust in our scouts. The O'Reilly fiasco is debateble and its been said that they really did have a case and if brought to attention, they could have won that battle. Plus I don't think it's fair to single out Feaster as a bad GM for that when it was said that many other GM were making offer sheets as well, can't fault Feaster for simply winning and putting out the best offer. Sometimes he says the wrong things at the wrong time and like all GM's, he's made a couple bad trades, but really not that many. He had his hands tied with Iginla and Blowmeestee returns and the only other really poor trades were minor or just a waste (modin for 7th for example). The only trade I was completely disappointed with was the Regehr trade.

I just hope he's given a fair chance at another year, people tend to blame him for a lot of things Sutter did and I think if a new GM is brought in, vice versa, the new GM will get the credit for what Feaster did.

Edit: Was going to correct Bouwmeester, but the Blowmeestee autocorrect is too good to pass up.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
He had his hands tied with Iginla and Blowmeestee returns and the only other really poor trades were minor or just a waste (modin for 7th for example). The only trade I was completely disappointed with was the Regehr trade.

I thought the Blo... Bouwmeester trade was pretty good actually. Feaster certainly could have done a lot worse, that was not a pretty contract to shop around. A far cry from the Phaneuf nightmare for sure, we actually got some real value back this time. Iggy trade looks meh so far but we've only really seen a couple of games of Hanowski so far.

I also still think the Bourque trade was great. If Rämö pans out it will be legendary.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Dion trade, Jokinen trade x2, drafting speaks for itself. If it isn't apparent he better you are blinded by hate.

:laugh: I'm just asking.

But didn't Sutter draft Backlund, Phaneuf, and Brodie?

He also landed Glencross, Bourque and Bouwmeester, right?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

So 3 prospects in what 7 years is now the baseline for doing well?

Glencross was a great find and Bourque was a decent trade (2nd) Jbo wanted to play here it isn't that hard to sign him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sutter really gets **** on alot because of his last few trades. You remove the latest Jokinen deal and the Phaneuf deal and his track record was actually quite impressive.

But that is people being blinded by hate, like we see with Feaster.

I am also compiling a list of all Feasters transactions, hopefully i wil have it done tonight. It might give some perspective to some, but then again blind hate is blind.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary

dont forget kipper (IMO the best goalie in flames history) huselius, and tanguay... i find sutter was really good at find guys already in the nhl but was pushing to hard for win now at the wrong time

Trae

Calgary
Sutter really gets **** on alot because of his last few trades. You remove the latest Jokinen deal and the Phaneuf deal and his track record was actually quite impressive.

I am also compiling a list of all Feasters transactions, hopefully i wil have it done tonight. It might give some perspective to some, but then again blind hate is blind.

I was actually a fan of Sutter, personally. His last year or two left a lot of people sour though, but you are right, its important to recognize the entire body of work. Him taking control fully of our drafting mostly by himself without much advice from anybody else was less than desirable, however.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
dont forget kipper (IMO the best goalie in flames history) huselius, and tanguay... i find sutter was really good at find guys already in the nhl but was pushing to hard for win now at the wrong time

Sutter was great until 2009-2010 he clearly became desperate. Pre December of 2010 he was a very good GM but the Jokinen deal (many fans wanted it I never wanted him personally) seemed to seal his fate. After we made the playoffs that year but got bounced in the first round he went out and got Jbo which was great but his hiring of his brother and then the locker room falling apart he couldn't deal with. I would have liked to have seen him take over coaching after the first year we missed the playoffs and brought in a new GM who had a clear head but Sutter was fell apart as a GM with the Dion deal and his drafting was always rather terrible (but Brodie was a great pick).

Abbs Heat says its blind hate but I don't think I am hating on Sutter as the Sutter we let go wasn't the same Sutter that brought in Tanguay and Huselius it was the Sutter that only let Burke know that Dion was available, the same Sutter that traded an expiring contract in Jokinen for Kotalik, the same Sutter who (reportedly) refused to talk to his brother while he was his employee, the same Sutter that had taken never really had success while drafting and yet didn't fix the problem with scouting.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Well, it seems like he has nailed this potential front office change well before anyone else. That's gotta boost his "imbecile" status in your eyes? No?

Many long term Flames fans were subjected to years worth of Dowbiggen's absolute rubbish articles. He's a sensationalist, weasel of a writer and he'll remain an "imbecile" in the eyes of many Flames fans forever. Him breaking some news does nothing to change that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sutter was great until 2009-2010 he clearly became desperate. Pre December of 2010 he was a very good GM but the Jokinen deal (many fans wanted it I never wanted him personally) seemed to seal his fate. After we made the playoffs that year but got bounced in the first round he went out and got Jbo which was great but his hiring of his brother and then the locker room falling apart he couldn't deal with. I would have liked to have seen him take over coaching after the first year we missed the playoffs and brought in a new GM who had a clear head but Sutter was fell apart as a GM with the Dion deal and his drafting was always rather terrible (but Brodie was a great pick).

Abbs Heat says its blind hate but I don't think I am hating on Sutter as the Sutter we let go wasn't the same Sutter that brought in Tanguay and Huselius it was the Sutter that only let Burke know that Dion was available, the same Sutter that traded an expiring contract in Jokinen for Kotalik, the same Sutter who (reportedly) refused to talk to his brother while he was his employee, the same Sutter that had taken never really had success while drafting and yet didn't fix the problem with scouting.
It was the same Sutter. He was always one to make alot of deals, kt was only a matter of time before he got fleeced a couple times.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Many long term Flames fans were subjected to years worth of Dowbiggen's absolute rubbish articles. He's a sensationalist, weasel of a writer and he'll remain an "imbecile" in the eyes of many Flames fans forever. Him breaking some news does nothing to change that.

Yup.

At one time he was actually a Moderator (and troll) on this very board

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Elliot Friedman said today on the fan 960 that Colin Campbell is also in the running for the job. Shanny/Campbell are pretty set in the NHL front office. Makes you wonder why they would consider coming to Calgary. Is Edwards giving them money that's too good to refuse? Do they want to build a franchise into a contender from complete scratch?

He also mentioned Campbell in his 30 Thoughts:

The biggest question at this time is "Do Shanahan or Colin Campbell want to move West?" Both have been tied to the East for family reasons. Also, what would this mean for Feaster, who has prepared to run this draft for months, or Craig Conroy, who, other teams believe, is being groomed for a major position in the future? The other issue will be transition. The Flames may be hiring someone who was not with a team, which means they haven't been a part of draft planning or professional scouting meetings. Therefore, it will be essential to have people around them that have been. The Flames cannot afford to make mistakes this summer.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Maybe they want both? Campbell has been offered a GM job before (from wiki):

On November 1, 2006, Campbell rejected a 5 year, $7.5 million offer from the Philadelphia Flyers to be their general manager. There was speculation that he was holding out for the general manager job with the Toronto Maple Leafs (a position eventually filled by Brian Burke) after general manager John Ferguson Jr.'s contract was terminated in January 2008.[5][6]

Maybe Shanahan as Head of Hockey Ops and Campbell for GM?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe they want both? Campbell has been offered a GM job before (from wiki):

Maybe Shanahan as Head of Hockey Ops and Campbell for GM?

That would be the overhaul the Flames could use. Maybe that's why Feaster is getting therapy over the word rebuild :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Big, big pass on either Campbell or Shanahan as GM. Either promote from within, i.e. Weisbrod, or hire Burke.

Campbell or Shanahan as head of Hockey Operations in place of King would almost certainly be an upgrade however.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think any real GM talk is warranted yet until we find out who's going to be our president of hockey OP. I think then they'll evaluate our management and then make a decision. If we miss the playoffs next season I think Feaster will be fired or let go at that point at latest.

If Shanahan is hired before the draft I don't think Feaster will be fired. He'll remain GM or he will put in another role. To hire a new GM a week before the draft is not a good strategy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think any real GM talk is warranted yet until we find out who's going to be our president of hockey OP. I think then they'll evaluate our management and then make a decision. If we miss the playoffs next season I think Feaster will be fired or let go at that point at latest.

If Shanahan is hired before the draft I don't think Feaster will be fired. He'll remain GM or he will put in another role. To hire a new GM a week before the draft is not a good strategy.

That seems pretty ridiculous. No one is pretending that that is our goal this year anymore, at least from a management perspective. Obviously for the players and coaches that is the goal, but if Feaster's coming out and declaring that we are, in fact, rebuilding, and the ownership aren't firing him over that, then there is no reason to fire him if his team produces a rebuilding-type season.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Eric Francis‏@EricFrancis2m

Ken King just confirmed Flames are looking to expand hockey operations and have talked to several people including Shanahan. No decision yet

berto14

Oct 1, 2009

Check out http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/Search/Search.php it should help you out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad