New head coach

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I'm sure this is a pipe dream, but my best friend and I were discussing possible coaching candidates and the name we both say is a possibility but a pipe dream if Carlyle is dismissed is Darryl Sutter. Not too far from LA and he's been seen in the area recently.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If the main point of Carlyle was getting a hardened coach with experience and a pedigree, doubling down to go with Sutter doesn't make a ton of sense, but who knows.

I think my main bet would be on an inexperienced guy, especially if Bobs playing the long game, but of the also-rans maybe they'd look at Dave Tippett? I actually wouldn't mind that.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
If the main point of Carlyle was getting a hardened coach with experience and a pedigree, doubling down to go with Sutter doesn't make a ton of sense, but who knows.

I think my main bet would be on an inexperienced guy, especially if Bobs playing the long game, but of the also-rans maybe they'd look at Dave Tippett? I actually wouldn't mind that.

I don't think Dave Tippett is ever getting another chance to coach in the NHL, not after what he did to Don Maloney. He basically played politics behind Maloney's back, which led to the latter getting axed and the former getting promoted to an EVP/HC dual position. What GM is going to hire a backstabber like him?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't think Dave Tippett is ever getting another chance to coach in the NHL, not after what he did to Don Maloney. He basically played politics behind Maloney's back, which led to the latter getting axed and the former getting promoted to an EVP/HC dual position. What GM is going to hire a backstabber like him?

That is a great point, but I also could see secure GMs not have an issue with it. Like us, for instance, Murray won't let his coaches hire their own assistants, there's no question who the alpha is in Anaheim.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Also among also-rans, I'm a lot warmer to Alain Vigneault than I was a week ago. Hasn't really accomplished a whole lot but I do wonder how much his last two flame-outs were his fault. Vancouver was so much worse after he left (and everything completely imploded the year after) and looking at this Rangers roster it's not much to work with.

Still think it's more likely to be a newer guy, but I know pretty much nothing about that crop.

Reactions: Duck Off

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
BM better stay as far away from Sutter as possible unless we want 3+ years of more boring hockey.

Agreed, and Sutter is just a really bad fit overall for the current NHL. He turns 60 this summer (but seems older), I think he is done as an NHL coach.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
AV is most likely going to end up in dallas

tippet is just like RC, the game passed him by years ago

i hope once RC is let go, they go for a fresh young face instead of the same old recycled coaches

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
AV is most likely going to end up in dallas

tippet is just like RC, the game passed him by years ago

i hope once RC is let go, they go for a fresh young face instead of the same old recycled coaches

Agreed. There isn't an experienced NHL coach available that can help mold us into a faster, more offensive team IMO. They need to bring in some fresh blood. Look at guys like Nelson/Keefe/Groulx/Sturm.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He doesn't have a job because he doesn't want to coach hockey.

That’s not true. I read an interview recently with him saying while he’s focused on Southampton he would consider coaching again if the right role comes up.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
krueger is a damn good coach

he actually managed to get something out of a horrendous oilers team. still not sure why they fired him

He is a motivational speaker by trade, and he seems to be very good at it, but not much of an X's and O's type of coach.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ah crap I was beaten to posting that article twice haha. Agreed with all who say that’s a bad call. I bought RCs I’ve changed BS and feel incredibly stupid for doing so. Murray needs to remedy his mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad