New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I agree with you 100%, I just want us to ****ing win and be consistently good again. Look across all of pro sports and examine the winning teams, are they not built by the most talented and respected people in their sport of expertise? Did any team swoop in and grab Michel Therrien? If Brisebois is the most qualified candidate and wants to be here than so be it but if it is some other candidate that only speaks english do we need an asterisk beside his name because he is not bilingual? We cannot win without the best people both on and off the ice, we put ourselves at an extreme disadvantage by doing this .
Honestly if teh NHL combined with the KHL to form a league that finished each year with a megamatch between top 8 teams from each continent it would get rid of a lot of regionalism, and actually provide an opportunity for many francophone coaches/gms to develop over in europe as opportunities would exist. It would also allow for their quality coaches to be hired here. Would people object to Tretiak being a coach or gm here, I wouldn't.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with you 100%, I just want us to ****ing win and be consistently good again. Look across all of pro sports and examine the winning teams, are they not built by the most talented and respected people in their sport of expertise? Did any team swoop in and grab Michel Therrien? If Brisebois is the most qualified candidate and wants to be here than so be it but if it is some other candidate that only speaks english do we need an asterisk beside his name because he is not bilingual? We cannot win without the best people both on and off the ice, we put ourselves at an extreme disadvantage by doing this .

You consider Pens GM/coaches to be the best in the league at their job ? ?

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Who cares. We are going to get somebody slightly better than Bergevin (Brisebois), tell ourselves he helped Tampa bay just like Bergevin helped Chicago, then go on to spin our wheels for 7 years, complain we wasted Dahlin's prime years and restart the cycle of looking for a new GM in 2025. Oh wow, Toronto spent big money and hired a super team in their front office and the best coach in the world, yet we are still going to relegate ourselves to a tiny pool of qualified candidates. I don't know what people really expect.

I remember how Steve Yzerman was upset he did not get a chance to interview for our GM. And people here said "Well its Montreal, deal with it". Now all people do is drool over the team Tampa has lol.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Honestly if teh NHL combined with the KHL to form a league that finished each year with a megamatch between top 8 teams from each continent it would get rid of a lot of regionalism, and actually provide an opportunity for many francophone coaches/gms to develop over in europe as opportunities would exist. It would also allow for their quality coaches to be hired here. Would people object to Tretiak being a coach or gm here, I wouldn't.

I would take Scotty Bowman back at this point.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You consider Pens GM/coaches to be the best in the league at their job ? ?

I said on and off the ice did I not? Also the Pens just won the cup and their history has shown that they don't hang on to people if they are not winning, it is a results based business is it not? You think Bergevin gets 6 years in Pittsburgh? Therrien didn't.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
And that should be the bottom line

It never will be, you can safely bet your howse someone will come here and wonder "it's becase he's french" whenever the Habs hires someone who speak some french, even an anglo who speak french, you will read it "Oh! that's because he knows some french".

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He is on the Stanley cup champion and that D was not full of Norris winners last season so he must have done something right last year for sure and again, results based business.
Sorry, going by the "you won = you're the best' logic means Pens had the best D in the league.

You said it yourself, need the best in the league (off the ice as well) to win, and they won so...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I do not know much about Brisebois, but I've read a lot of posts so far saying he is intelligent and has a modern mind. On what exactly is that based on?

It's based on armchair evaluations. You'd have exactly the same people crapping all over BriseBois after three years.

Ogilthorpe

Oct 20, 2017
Molson should have fired both Bergy and Therrien back when MB refused to fire MT the first time. This guy has dragged the Habs into the gutter for too long.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
If they really want to change things around, they have to give it to Patrick Roy. He know's what he's doing and we saw what happened to the Avalanche once they stopped listening to him

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
No it wasn't, it was played in a local league against the wanderers and maroons. So I guess those team represented the Yukon and PEI?

Honestly this is just bad faith.

It's a recorded and century old story that the team was made to exploit the divide between the two solitudes. Which is why the team was to be originally made of Canadiens-français players.

You can make your point valid without those kind of revisionist comments.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Molson should have fired both Bergy and Therrien back when MB refused to fire MT the first time. This guy has dragged the Habs into the gutter for too long.

Instead Molson like the stupid idiot that he is was sitting next to Bergevin and Michel during the end of the year conference and said he trusted them both.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sorry, going by the "you won = you're the best' logic means Pens had the best D in the league.

You said it yourself, need the best in the league (off the ice as well) to win, and they won so...

Okay, now that you have dissected my words, what is your view of what the habs need going forward? I am interested to read it, no sarcasm here just discussion.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Who cares. We are going to get somebody slightly better than Bergevin (Brisebois), tell ourselves he helped Tampa bay just like Bergevin helped Chicago, then go on to spin our wheels for 7 years, complain we wasted Dahlin's prime years and restart the cycle of looking for a new GM in 2025. Oh wow, Toronto spent big money and hired a super team in their front office and the best coach in the world, yet we are still going to relegate ourselves to a tiny pool of qualified candidates. I don't know what people really expect.

I remember how Steve Yzerman was upset he did not get a chance to interview for our GM. And people here said "Well its Montreal, deal with it". Now all people do is drool over the team Tampa has lol.

I can only "like" this once and that's not enough so I'm also quoting it for truth.

Imagine the Leafs never hiring Lou because he's not from Ontario, or even Canadian for that matter. That would also be a ridiculous reason not to hire the best available.

I'm not saying culture isn't important, and yes the Canadiens have a responsibility to cater to their French fan base, but you know what else is a big part of the heritage and culture of the Canadiens? Winning.

But hey, if they insist on continuing this way I guess it's one less rival to worry about ;)

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
And that should be the bottom line

Should be.

However,

Loi 101 --> lawful enforcement --> public obedience --> media reinforcement --> RDS/TVA stick to French questions --> more translation time involved i.e. less content should questions be asked in English --> need French speaking management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad