New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No but he might keep more of our existing talent and draft picks. I'm honestly scared that if we do tank and get dahlin that berg might trade him for an aging #1 center.
Did he really sell draft picks? I have no clue why this is a theme..

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
My friend, they sucked for a decade! Are you really ready for this?
I'm convinced we can do it in half the time. We would still have good young players (Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lekhonen, Danault, Mete, Juulsen etc.) to which we would inject pure talent.

Dark714

Oct 13, 2017
isn't this against the law?

if i opened a pizza shop and said i was only going to hire italians i would have a lawsuit against me

No, it's a defensible job requirement; the GM is partly a spokesperson. And communications studies tells us that translators have a bad rap compared to genuine language proficiency in certain roles. See: our age old tradition of having a bilingual Prime Minister.

Plus a language is an ability, not something innate. And no ethnicity is being barred from applying, unlike your proposition of only hiring Italians.

You can't become an ethnicity that you're not, but you can learn a language.

Apparently not. It's probably because they discriminate on language which is allowed by the Quebec government, which is why I left Quebec.

Yeah, the ROC does not discriminate on language. Only speaking French (or else, except English) is not generally an impediment in getting a job in Ontario (or else). /s

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.

If all the players don't have to speak French why should the management have to?

I mean what's the real priority here, actually icing a successful team or having someone who can go up to the podium for a few minutes a week and answer questions like "why is the team struggling" in fluent French?

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
If all the players don't have to speak French why should the management have to?

I mean what's the real priority here, actually icing a successful team or having someone who can go up to the podium for a few minutes a week and answer questions like "why is the team struggling" in fluent French?

Its politics bro. Unfortunately when it comes to Montreal they are stuck in the dark ages.

The reporters don't care about hockey. If we were to have a GM or coach who couldnt speak french they would have a field day with that.

I agree with you though, i dont care about sex, race, heritage if you are the best for the job then you should get the job. Its a shame that we are hindered this way. While other teams can do just that hire the best leadership team.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
No, it's a defensible job requirement; the GM is partly a spokesperson. And communications studies tells us that translators have a bad rap compared to genuine language proficiency in certain roles. See: our age old tradition of having a bilingual Prime Minister.

Plus a language is an ability, not something innate. And no ethnicity is being barred from applying, unlike your proposition of only hiring Italians.

You can't become an ethnicity that you're not, but you can learn a language.

Yeah, the ROC does not discriminate on language. Only speaking French (or else, except English) is not generally an impediment in getting a job in Ontario (or else). /s

I'm sure people would be thrilled to have a Prime Minister who only speaks chinese and get his speechs translated...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't really know if BriseBois is the right guy or not, but I do have a criterion that, should any candidate fail it, would exclude them from contention for the GM position in my eyes. That is, if the candidate thinks anything at all is more important than a single minded pursuit of the best talent available, he gets a left swipe from me.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone in our organization mention talent except in passing. For example, every year when Timmins explains our draft philosophy he says ''you need to have a certain amount of talent to play in the NHL.'' He then goes on at length about all the other things he wants in a player. I've never heard him say ''talent, the more the better, talent first, and last, talent 100 times over www.talent.com.'' Bergevin, from the get go, spoke ad nauseam about character. He rarely speaks about talent without saying the word ''but.'' How many times have we been lectured about leadership and hating to lose? Take a look at our roster and tell me - with a straight face if you can manage - that this underlying ''sure, we need talent, but...'' attitude hasn't had its effects.

The little things earn their label. They are small, secondary, and of little consolation or use in the absence of the big things, and easy to come by. Let's get back to the good ol' days when Montreal worried about the big things and took home the big prize on a regular basis.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.
Thats the problem, Habs use to be a worldwide brand but people would rather them be a regional team. Very short sighted. "We can only love them as long as they are ours!!" And yet there are MILLIONS of us that are outside of quebec that still love the habs. Its a very good thing soccer fans don't see things the same way.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The Montreal Canadiens from the beginning was to represent Quebec not just the City of Montreal but most of all it was to represent the French speaking people of the province.
No it wasn't, it was played in a local league against the wanderers and maroons. So I guess those team represented the Yukon and PEI?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If we assume that Québec and bilingual hockey people outside Québec amout for around 20% of hockey people from Canada, it means the hockey people mastering french are way under represented in the NHL since only Bergevin, Dorion, and to a lesser extent Talon speak french. So that means the Habs have a big talent pool to pick from that is under exploited, unless you think that french speaking hockey people are mostly incompetent all other things being equal.
So you will just ignore junior GMs and all the coaches that are bilingual. Mitchell is from montreal, but I don't hear a peep about him being a home town product.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Thats the problem, Habs use to be a worldwide brand but people would rather them be a regional team. Very short sighted. "We can only love them as long as they are ours!!" And yet there are MILLIONS of us that are outside of quebec that still love the habs. Its a very good thing soccer fans don't see things the same way.

You can't always remove a team/club from its historical/social context. And as for soccer, coaches in Barcelona have always traditionally been able to speak some Catalan or be willing to learn.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I've seen a bunch of players under performing...

You’ve stated this a few times, pointing out a number of players and I don’t disagree... got a lot of passengers and underperformers here.

However, what are we going to do? You can’t fire a player. MB is on the hook either way. This is his team. The core guys he inherited, well, he chose to resign them or trade them so this team is his vision.

I think MB is safe until end of the season so his options are to get rid of the underperformers or bring in more pieces. Hard? Of course it is since he should have done this right during the off-season.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You can't always remove a team/club from its historical/social context. And as for soccer, coaches in Barcelona have always traditionally been able to speak some Catalan or be willing to learn.
Its historical context isn't an inbred development team for friends and family. That is a much more recent development.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I agree with you 100%, I just want us to f***ing win and be consistently good again. Look across all of pro sports and examine the winning teams, are they not built by the most talented and respected people in their sport of expertise? Did any team swoop in and grab Michel Therrien? If Brisebois is the most qualified candidate and wants to be here than so be it but if it is some other candidate that only speaks english do we need an asterisk beside his name because he is not bilingual? We cannot win without the best people both on and off the ice, we put ourselves at an extreme disadvantage by doing this .

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad