New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hahaha to creator of the thread. You must be incredibly naive or too young to know what’s going on.

There is about a 0.0001% chance the new GM isn’t French speaking. That’s not even a question, just a way of the Canadiens doing business. My money is on Serge Savard coming back.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
The Montreal Canadiens from the beginning was to represent Quebec not just the City of Montreal but most of all it was to represent the French speaking people of the province.

Wtf ???

Je suis francophone de Montréal, au Québec et si le meilleur entraineur/GM disponible est anglophone ou russe ou peut importe je veux qu'il soit engagé. Tous les joueurs devraient être francophone aussi un coup partie hahahaha. Aujourdhui, pour le Canadiens, le français est signe de médiocrité.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Obviously french representation is important for the Montreal Canadiens. It's a fact of life. However, on its own it won't lead French speaking Quebecers to feel represented, in my mind. There is one reason why the Montreal Canadiens are a cultural icon for French speakers: it's because they were the best. You see it around the globe: people identify and take pride in what their countrymen and women are good at. Whatever it is that they excel at is mostly a historical accident. They don't care for also-rans. There's something powerful about seeing someone who's just like you do something great. There's nothing inspiring about watching someone just like you pilot your favourite team into the ground.

Did French speakers really feel alienated by Sam Pollock? I'm actually asking.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.
Loser mentality, why would you limit your choice of the most important player on the team to less than 5% of the population. Hows that worked out in the new NHL?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
and how this will be affected by hiring the best GM that can build a wining and exciting team?
By hiring a English speaking only General Manager its an insult to the people who from the beginning you represent . Montreal had English speaking General managers in the past but they were able to converse in French also . Some are saying hire a translator ? Have you ever watched Anti Chambre after the game and not understand what's being said with the host then translating what players are saying It is brutal .. The French speaking fans deserve better and deserve a General Manager who they can relate to and understand when he speaks.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Obviously french representation is important for the Montreal Canadiens. It's a fact of life. However, on its own it won't lead French speaking Quebecers to feel represented, in my mind. There is one reason why the Montreal Canadiens are a cultural icon for French speakers: it's because they were the best. You see it around the globe: people identify and take pride in what their countrymen and women are good at. Whatever it is that they excel at is mostly a historical accident. They don't care for also-rans. There's something powerful about seeing someone who's just like you do something great. There's nothing inspiring about watching someone just like you pilot your favourite team into the ground.

Winning cures everything.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
By hiring a English speaking only General Manager its an insult to the people who from the beginning you represent . Montreal had English speaking General managers in the past but they were able to converse in French also . Some are saying hire a translator ? Have you ever watched Anti Chambre after the game and not understand what's being said with the host then translating what players are saying It is brutal .. The French speaking fans deserve better and deserve a General Manager who they can relate to and understand when he speaks.

1) The Canadiens serve more than just Francophones. They represent no one, since they're a business and fans are revenue sources.

2) Selke did not speak French;

3) Regardless of language, looking for a GM that the fans relate to is stupid. I want the GM to build a cup winner, not hang out with me at the bar.

I don't disagree that French language should be heavily considered when hiring a GM, but enough with this buddy-buddy view of a GM.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Wtf ???

Je suis francophone de Montréal, au Québec et si le meilleur entraineur/GM disponible est anglophone ou russe ou peut importe je veux qu'il soit engagé. Tous les joueurs devraient être francophone aussi un coup partie hahahaha. Aujourdhui, pour le Canadiens, le français est signe de médiocrité.
What ? I'll go look for a translator I don't understand you its not fair .. You just proved my point thanks

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Pollock was born in Montreal and spoke fluent French.

Reactions: habergeon

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
That's the problem, there are too many things influencing simple decision. Yes the Canadiens are a religion here but they aren't a political party, they are a sports team in a league with experienced staff speaking English. The goal should be to build a winning team, that's it that's all.

We lack the courage to say, f*** it. Hire the best guy, have some people complain and then settle down when that team is dominating and bringing homes cups. We just need to have the courage to say win no matter what.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Wtf ???

I am of French Canadian ancestry. My father was the biggest Habs fan ever. He met le Gros Bil and I got the Rocket’s autograph at Parc Jarry when I was a kid. I don’t know if any French Canadian people who care about wether the GM or coach can speak French. Winners want to win! Seriously!

Reactions: Saint Patrick

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am of French Canadian ancestry. My father was the biggest Habs fan ever. He met le Gros Bil and I got the Rocket’s autograph at Parc Jarry when I was a kid. I don’t know if any French Canadian people who care about wether the GM or coach can speak French. Winners want to win! Seriously!

I believe it is something that was constructed by the media.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
1) The Canadiens serve more than just Francophones. They represent no one, since they're a business and fans are revenue sources.

2) Selke did not speak French;

3) Regardless of language, looking for a GM that the fans relate to is stupid. I want the GM to build a cup winner, not hang out with me at the bar.

I don't disagree that French language should be heavily considered when hiring a GM, but enough with this buddy-buddy view of a GM.
The Montreal Canadiens reside in a majority Francophone province . That being the case the General Manager needs to speak French.. This isn't 1950's 1960's 1970's those years of dominance are gone forever. Some how though a English speaking only General Manager would return the team to glory . Seriously

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Montreal Canadiens reside in a majority Francophone province . That being the case the General Manager needs to speak French.. This isn't 1950's 1960's 1970's those years of dominance are gone forever. Some how though a English speaking only General Manager would return the team to glory . Seriously

The problem is that absolutely no one said that. You wrote a complete fabrication. People are saying to hire the best. Not a single poster said that that person cannot or should not be a francophone.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
If the Habs turn away from their francophone heritage they'll be losing something that makes them unique in the NHL. If I were a fan of your team I'd think really hard before turning your back on that.

That being said, you have a French-speaking coach, French-speaking players. I don't think it should be an absolute prerequisite that the next GM speak French, but you'd probably want someone in a senior position in the front office who can do media in French.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not a fan of Roy, but i do believe McGuire has hockey and player knowledge to do a good job. There isnt hockey person that comes to mind that might know more about players than him.

The only thing that worries me about McGuire or Roy is they do not have the business part experience that Brisebois has.

As i mentioned in previous posts, he definitely would be the go to guy (Brisebois) but he has to WANT the job.

I honestly think Roy and McGuire are too emotional to be effective GM's.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And here we go again.....I understand what you are saying....the APPEARANCE that you can choose people no matter the language they speak appears to be the best solution ever. And yet...anglophones don't even do that. The league is filled with friends hiring friends. Why the heck isn't there more franco GM's in the league? Is it because they are all dumb? Is it because in Québec we don't know hockey and we are just so more stupid than everybody else? And for everybody who keeps talking about "doesn't matter if he's Russian, Japanese and so on..." can somebody tell me how many teams, especially the ones who are supposed to NOT have the language barrier than we do, have hired Japanese, Russians, Finnish or Swedish coaches? The problem here is that the REASON, the language, is worst than, friends hiring friends...but THE END RESULT is that it's completely false to say that the rest of the league chooses a huge pool of candidates while we don't.

If the fans, the media and whatever want a french coach and a french GM.....until there are some good candidates, so be it. But does it stop them from hiring anglo assistants? Bergevin hired Dudley....which I heard was one of the best ever.....and he assists Bergie in his decisions. You can totally think that we have a bad GM 'cause Bergie is french and he's an idiot...but what do you make of Dudley? Is he dumb too? If he totally disagree with a move, you don't think Bergie might listen? Would Bergie always go at the opposite of what Dudley wants? If so, why are they still together? There are still good franco candidates out there. And what does having a franco do? It buys time. You guys forgot about Cunneyworth? Franco coaches and GM's buy time. You can them surround them with whoever you want. It STILL can make a great management...Incredibly enough in here, everytime people say "take whoever is the best candidate" I can tell you that what they want is "do not take the franco". I will tell you that you would hire Julien Brisebois. You could get a Benoit Groulx. And I assure you that this could be just as good a duo as any freakin duo you can get. Then, Brisebois is young...Groulx is young, surround them with Robinson, bring a Cam Russell in so many other things you can do.....Everybody is happy.

Reactions: sf

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The best candidate available will speak french or we'll cut his nuts off!

Duo Lingo, learn it.. *Cracks Whip*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad