New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Personally, as a business owner, you always try to hire the best employees possible. The one that can bring you the most return for the coin they receive. That being said, we all know the particularities of the market. The candidate needs to be able to hold conversation in both languages. Despite this being a sort of handicap in the recruiting process, it unfortunately is needed to appease the francophones who are adamant about preserving their language rights.

Luckily, if we do need to find a GM. As some have mentioned, Brisebois would certainly be more than qualified. Like him or not, Roy is also available and would fit the criteria. McGuire has been well documented as being runner up before MB took the position. He is also very qualified. Perhaps an overlooked candidate is Claude Loiselle (Current assistant GM of the Leafs)

Roy and McGuire should absolutely not be in the running if the team is open to hiring the best candidate possible.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Loiselle was fired years ago, he was part of the Nonis disaster crew. He's a consultant with the Coyotes. Not a good candidate.

Oops, meant to write former, not current. Forum chatting and work dont mesh well together sometimes haha

Well if we are only considering bilingual candidates. I do believe he would be in the top 5. I certainly would prefer Brisebois and even McGuire over him, but aside from those 2 and Roy, there isnt any other bilingual qualified candidates that jump to mind.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Roy and McGuire should absolutely not be in the running if the team is open to hiring the best candidate possible.

Not a fan of Roy, but i do believe McGuire has hockey and player knowledge to do a good job. There isnt hockey person that comes to mind that might know more about players than him.

The only thing that worries me about McGuire or Roy is they do not have the business part experience that Brisebois has.

As i mentioned in previous posts, he definitely would be the go to guy (Brisebois) but he has to WANT the job.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Oops, meant to write former, not current. Forum chatting and work dont mesh well together sometimes haha

Well if we are only considering bilingual candidates. I do believe he would be in the top 5. I certainly would prefer Brisebois and even McGuire over him, but aside from those 2 and Roy, there isnt any other bilingual qualified candidates that jump to mind.

Unless you look to managers in the Junior ranks (and if you're considering Roy, you HAVE to do so, because his tenure as VP of Hockey Ops in Colorado was frankly disastrous).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Until I see the habs do otherwise in my lifetime, I have to assume that the gm must be bilingual. Having said that, it sounds like Jim nill was in the running last time but refused the position.

I'm actually surprised the habs went down that road (if true), after the cunneyworth protests.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
After L'Affaire Cunneyworth?

Molson almost cried in public, and immediately said that any COACH now would have to speak French before they would even be considered.

I think that pretty well sums up the chances of Molson ever going outside the self imposed limitation that prevents finding and hiring the best available.

I understand the perception among many that it's impossible to get around the whole language issue, but I maintain that it would all fade into the background if they committed to a different path that resulted in this franchise being what it should be year in and year out.

It won't likely happen under this ownership group imo.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Unless you look to managers in the Junior ranks (and if you're considering Roy, you HAVE to do so, because his tenure as VP of Hockey Ops in Colorado was frankly disastrous).

Possibly. I personally am not a fan of hiring junior ranking guys for management positions. Coaching yes, but for the GM position, i do think there is an advantage already having spoken to, and worked with some of our future colleagues. Also, a junior/AHL level GM wouldnt necassarily know the players as well either. So i dont know. Guess its a wait and see situation

rumple03

Oct 1, 2008
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.

Bullshit

The language of hockey in the NHL is English. What is more important, having the best GM and Coach available, or eliminating 80% of the candidates available for a language requirement for a team that all speaks English, but doesn't want to hurt the French media windbags feelings. If I were the owner and hired a GM or Coach who I felt was the best candidate available and he happened to speak English and not a lick of French, and the media complained, I'd be pretty straight forward when addressing them. "we hired who we believe the best candidate available was, regardless of language spoken, if you don't like it, too bad. My job and responsibility is to the team and not your language politics, if you don't like it go pound sand. Any questions not related to hockey will be ignored going further."

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Possibly. I personally am not a fan of hiring junior ranking guys for management positions. Coaching yes, but for the GM position, i do think there is an advantage already having spoken to, and worked with some of our future colleagues. Also, a junior/AHL level GM wouldnt necassarily know the players as well either. So i dont know. Guess its a wait and see situation

People should probably be more concerned about the executive skills of a GM than scouting.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I mean even if some francophone rednecks boycott the Habs the Centre Bell will still sold out. It won't impact the revenues a bit IMO.

Anyone with some education can understand that having an English speaking coach/GM is not a sign of the organisation turning it's back on Quebec. I mean come on.

This is the kind of bullshit that makes me want to move out of this province.

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
To play devils advocate, unless an irreproachably excellent and qualified candidate becomes available (incredibly rare), its nearly impossible to qualify a candidate as the best candidate available.

Apr 28, 2010
Bull****

The language of hockey in the NHL is English. What is more important, having the best GM and Coach available, or eliminating 80% of the candidates available for a language requirement for a team that all speaks English, but doesn't want to hurt the French media windbags feelings. If I were the owner and hired a GM or Coach who I felt was the best candidate available and he happened to speak English and not a lick of French, and the media complained, I'd be pretty straight forward when addressing them. "we hired who we believe the best candidate available was, regardless of language spoken, if you don't like it, too bad. My job and responsibility is to the team and not your language politics, if you don't like it go pound sand. Any questions not related to hockey will be ignored going further."

+100

Wish Geoff has this mentality. Culture change is what this franchise truly needs. I'd assume the majority of Quebec people would appreciate a winning team over anything.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hire a strong bi lingual political figure as President, I've said before a guy like Gainey would have been perfect, then open the door to any position below to the best available candidate.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We are not in this mess because we hire French speaking GMs and coaches.

We are largely in this mess because we hirer GMs and coaches who come in with a defensive first, second and third mentality and can't deal with offensive , creative type players who need the coach to stop micromananging everything and trust them to play their game.

I'm also sure there are qualified French speakers who don't have personality disorders.

And no, don't hire Roy.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
They should hire the best available, regardless of language. I mean have multiple interviews to see who fits best.

FEFAN

Oct 19, 2017
Micronesia
Molson can't eat over 20 millions of bergy salary to get rid of him. The smart money says Molson names a new president of the team will full authority over bergy. I see only 3 candidates. Patrick Roy, Vinny Damphousse and a long shot in Stephane Quintal. Bergy would stay in place for another 2-3 years, while he is forced to fire his yes men and restructure the organization, basically to do the dirty job and the president would then choose his own man.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
isn't this against the law?

if i opened a pizza shop and said i was only going to hire italians i would have a lawsuit against me

Nope. Habs operate in french and cater to their fans in both languages. Most employees in the NHL speak english, heck Bergevin probably never speaks french when working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad