New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
This is not even a question. A sports team in a mainly-French market. The GM and the coach HAVE to be able to speak French.

Nope. That is why this franchise will never succeed ever again. They are hiring buffoons just because they speak french.

I seriously don't give a f*** if the french media whines about the GM not being french. GUESS WHO THE BEST IN THE HABS FRANCHISE WAS? SAM FREAKING POLLOCK. Barely spoke french. Give me a break with your language crap.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
Molson can't eat over 20 millions of bergy salary to get rid of him. The smart money says Molson names a new president of the team will full authority over bergy. I see only 3 candidates. Patrick Roy, Vinny Damphousse and a long shot in Stephane Quintal. Bergy would stay in place for another 2-3 years, while he is forced to fire his yes men and restructure the organization, basically to do the dirty job and the president would then choose his own man.

This would certainly be better than doing nothing and hoping that Bergevin can fix this mess...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
It's a real situation facing the Habs and one that absolutely infuriates me. There are numerous talented people that could be a candidate for the job if Molson decides to make a change at GM. Why would the franchise show such disrespect to their fans & sponsors and not hire the best person available for the job, regardless of background, gender, etc...

Having or wanting to hire only those people with a French speaking background immediately sets the franchise back and alienates the vast majority of candidates. All that matters are wins, not making sure media gets someone that can answer their question in a certain language.

What do you folks think?
Isn't the Provence of Quebec first language French above all others ? They will never hire a none speaking French person male or female to be the face of the team General manager. Its just how it is

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Apparently not. It's probably because they discriminate on language which is allowed by the Quebec government, which is why I left Quebec.

Well it is not a matter of race/ethnicity, but rather a matter of language proficiency. A lot of companies won't hire you if you are not fluent enough in English and/or in French. I don't think it is discriminatory as it is a job requirement. Most don't judge by the color of the skin or the ethnicity, but whether or not the person is fluent enough in both languages.

As for the habs GM, most of the job is done in English, but when it comes to press conferences and speaking to your customers, i.e. the fans, well it turns out a vast majority speak French only or as a first language. If the organization considers it important for them to be able to understand their GM, well speaking French could be seen as a requirement. Personally, Idgaf about the language issue as long as the GM is the most competent one available, but I understand where the prerequisite comes from.

On a side note, MB's language skills are cringe worthy.

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
I think even the most diehard francophone would take winning a cup or even being close over a coach who has to be bilingual. Even debating this is ludicrous. Limiting yourself to coaches that can speaks French is so asinine its laughable. But that's what this organization has become, a joke.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
For me, it is important to speak french.

Not on day 1, but that he learns it.

If I have to work in Germany, I'll learn the language one day

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Nope. That is why this franchise will never succeed ever again. They are hiring buffoons just because they speak french.

I seriously don't give a **** if the french media whines about the GM not being french. GUESS WHO THE BEST IN THE HABS FRANCHISE WAS? SAM FREAKING POLLOCK. Barely spoke french. Give me a break with your language crap.

Pollock barely spoke English either and spoke french well. He wasn't talkative.

Selke is probably the second best GM in Habs history, groomed Pollock, and spoke no French.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
as everyone stated. It should not matter. Get a translator.
best person for the job.

we will get a french GM because Quebec ,which is silly! :dunce:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pollock barely spoke English either and spoke french well. He wasn't talkative.

Selke is probably the second best GM in Habs history, groomed Pollock, and spoke no French.
The media coverage of the team and networks geared to the French population of Montreal alone would have a say in the final decision . Molson wouldn't be able to do it even if he wanted

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
as everyone stated. It should not matter. Get a translator.
best person for the job.

we will get a french GM because Quebec ,which is silly! :dunce:

If its a qualified, smart candidate, IDGAF if they're french. Just no more of these anti-data, former players.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Pretty much all the big companies that have offices/HQ in Montreal are under the direction of english speaking presidents.

I don't see why the Habs should do otherwise if the BEST candidate speaks english.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Blue Jackets GM is from Finland. We’re going to limit our talent pool to virtually one province vs the entire hockey playing world and people are going to be confused as to why there is sub par performances at those levels?

It can obviously be a controversial topic but I’ll only say that it is a good thing that more and more of the fan base is getting fed up with the same old limiting formula and are ready to accept change.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I watched a post-match pressser this week. FC-Spartak played Sevilla FC. Spartak is managed by an Italian. His answers were translated to Russian and Spanish by 2 translators. And what do ya know.... nobody died.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I fully understand the coach needing to speak French because he is conversing with the media everyday. Not that Julien or any other coach in the league generally say anything worthwhile or interesting, I still understand the need in Montreal. As for the GM, he can go months without speaking to the media, so I don’t quite see the same need. A translator for the half dozen times a year he has a press conference can easily be covered by a translator. Generally speaking, half the questions asked in English are repeatedly asked in French during a GM press conference, so it’s not like a translator wouldn’t suffice.

French speaking candidates would still get interviewed for the job and have just as much opportunity to get hired as an English only speaking candidate.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I have a feeling if Bergevin is fired, Patrick Roy will be the next GM.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I fully understand the coach needing to speak French because he is conversing with the media everyday. Not that Julien or any other coach in the league generally say anything worthwhile or interesting, I still understand the need in Montreal. As for the GM, he can go months without speaking to the media, so I don’t quite see the same need. A translator for the half dozen times a year he has a press conference can easily be covered by a translator. Generally speaking, half the questions asked in English are repeatedly asked in French during a GM press conference, so it’s not like a translator wouldn’t suffice.

French speaking candidates would still get interviewed for the job and have just as much opportunity to get hired as an English only speaking candidate.

I think that is wrong as well. Again, why sacrifice wins just to please the media and a small portion of your fanbase?

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Hire two dual coaches, one to run the team and one to speak to the media. For all outward looks, let the French speaker be the puppet "head coach", but let the better "operations coach" make the team and player decisions.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I think that is wrong as well. Again, why sacrifice wins just to please the media and a small portion of your fanbase?

I don’t fully agree with it, but I do understand it from ownership’s perspective. It certainly has resulted in poor hirings, but Toronto and Edmonton for example, have not restricted themselves over the last two decades and also have had some less than desirable head coaches.

What matters more to me is the GM position who can recognize a quality coach and not settle for a Therrien. Quality French speaking coaches seem to be more readily available than GMs imo, it’s a compromise I can at least live with.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Because when the media gets pissed, fans get pissed and its hard to focus on the games when you're surround with the fog of controversy. There are a ton of excellent bilingual coaches, its not a big deal for the Habs to have a bilingual coach.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I would like BriseBois as president of hockey operations and Roy as the GM.

Would be a great mix of brain and winner instinct IMO.

That would require an excessively meddlesome President and Roy to give up more control. He usually quits when he's asked to give up control.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The Montreal Canadiens from the beginning was to represent Quebec not just the City of Montreal but most of all it was to represent the French speaking people of the province.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad