Player Discussion New Captain- Nick Suzuki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And how about if he doesn’t play with CC? What if he plays with Slaf and Newhook? What if it’s Dach and someone else?

If he’s a number one, why does he need a guy who paces for 47 goals to get points? Larkin did it, why not Nick?

I’m not saying this to antagonize. Seriously, a number one should be able to put up points at a higher rate.
If you are paying attention to what people are saying he doesn't need Cole Caufield and would probably be better off with a far more versatile left winger.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I didn't agree with the models last year when they said he was terrible defensively, but they obviously fixed all the models cause now they're right.

Suzuki is wicked smaht.
People forget just how great defensively he can be when all the marbles are on the line.
Last season he was over used and under appreciated in a nothing environment.
I was guilty I know. :nod:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Also its prerrt evident he cares more this year since were in the PO race.
True but that's going away soon. The most important thing for me now is how he gels with Slaf.
That is our long term number one duo without a doubt.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Of guys on the team who have played more than half the games this season, he's 2nd for 5v5 CF% and 5v5 xGF%. Montreal also gives up fewer chances and his line doesn't get hemmed in much more than other lines on the team.

cool... that's great news. So it's quite a turn around from last year I guess. That's fantatsic. It seems his line is pretty good at messing up other teams breakouts as well..

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Of guys on the team who have played more than half the games this season, he's 2nd for 5v5 CF% and 5v5 xGF%. Montreal also gives up fewer chances and his line doesn't get hemmed in much more than other lines on the team.

I'm not sure if you get the Athletic... but there was an article about this very subject recently. Pretty interesting. I guess he has inded made progress.

Nick Suzuki’s defensive numbers have improved, and Juraj Slafkovský is a big reason why

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
This puts Suzuki in the Bergeron mold…that’s a 1C
He always was one. He just needed time to learn how to play the game at the NHL level with consistency. He has improved each year on a weak roster riddled with injuries.

Suzuki isn't going to get 150 point seasons but he can give you close to PPG (and higher as the roster fills in) with solid defensive play and this is with not much to show for PP production. Most of this production over the past few years is at ES and SH. He is also still improving himself.

The most important part is his locked in dollar amount. His contract will look like a steal in a few years and allow us some extra money to fill in the roster. Nick Suzuki + 6m in cap space > some guy that gets 15 more points. That guy with 15 more points last year didn't play on Montreal. He wouldn't have had 15 more points on last years Montreal team.

One thing I will say about him is that he seems to be very smart and great at reading the ice. Fast learner. Those players usually find a way to carve out a decent career even with lesser raw "ability". He has both. There were zero NHL scorers above him last season that had less powerplay points then Suzuki. He is strong ES and SH. His time will come when we improve.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
What do people here think of Suzuki leadership abilities? Meaning we can recognize that he is a leader and he his still a young player, but how would you rate his role given the time he had the C on his shirt and the stage in his developement? Haven't watched much games since he has been named captain.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
What do people here think of Suzuki leadership abilities? Meaning we can recognize that he is a leader and he his still a young player, but how would you rate his role given the time he had the C on his shirt and the stage in his developement? Haven't watched much games since he has been named captain.
I think he's a mother type of leader. It's good to have but the team needs a father type of leader. I think Perry was that. Just a hunch, but I think Guhle might be that someday.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I suspect that he is highly respected by his peers and appreciated by his coaches. Highly competitive with minimal ego.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
La Presse compared Suzuki to other top centers. 18th in points. More than any hab center since Damphousse if he continues at his current pace.

Averagish top centre scoring with defensive commitment.
And the weakest offensive entourage of any of the 17 C's ahead of him...

Throw him into the bolts or Avs or Stars lineup and add 5-10pts easily.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
And the weakest offensive entourage of any of the 17 C's ahead of him...

Throw him into the bolts or Avs or Stars lineup and add 5-10pts easily.
Both the players on his line and the players on other lines who need to be defended. I see his upside as a Damphousse, a "second line" center who plays defense against top lines and also puts up points.

Last year you couldn't really evaluate the forwards because so much of the the play stayed in the habs end. They're still in a mess, they don't necessarily need more scorers but they need guys who can push the play, get the puck up the ice and occupy opposing players. They are well into the rebuild and Hughes still needs to get the rarest, most in demand players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad