Speculation: Neutral Fan Proposals

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Sometimes when looking into options for my favourite team, and looking at the assets, strengths and weaknesses of other teams I find two teams that seem like a natural fit for a trade. But those trades never get discussed here, because maybe bias prevents fans from wanting to give up the pieces they need to give up to get what they need.

So I thought it would be a fun thread idea for neutral fans with no skin in the game to come up with proposals for other teams.

Rules:
- Must be realistic
- Must benefit both teams
- Try to avoid "core players" or "untouchables"

I don't have one in mind at the moment, but I WILL think of one myself and take part.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Backlund/Hanifin + Gaudreau for Laine + Perrault
Pulock + 1st + Mayfield + Bellows for Laine + Poolman

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Couldn't help myself with the core players.

Monahan (+) for Kuznetsov. Shake-up trade for a couple of teams that have disappointed in the playoffs recently. Washington gets a little younger and a little cheaper in the short-term. Calgary becomes more skilled in the middle in preparation for life after Gaudreau and gains some cap certainty in the long-term.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I can't see the Jets having any interest in Gaudreau. While Laine is likely available in the right deal, I think it's unlikely that he actually moves as anyone worth moving him for probably isn't available.

Ehlers for Mantha straight up
Reasonable swap skill wise, but Ehlers is signed to a long term reasonable contract which makes him more valuable.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I can't see the Jets having any interest in Gaudreau. While Laine is likely available in the right deal, I think it's unlikely that he actually moves as anyone worth moving him for probably isn't available.

Reasonable swap skill wise, but Ehlers is signed to a long term reasonable contract which makes him more valuable.
I wonder if Detroit would be interested.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Pulock + 1st + Mayfield + Bellows for Laine + Poolman
Feels like it helps the Jets positionally more than it does the Flames. Losing two pieces of the top 6 as well as one of their more talented centers hurts, especially when the idea of getting Laine would be to play him with Gaudreau.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Couldn't help myself with the core players.

Monahan (+) for Kuznetsov. Shake-up trade for a couple of teams that have disappointed in the playoffs recently. Washington gets a little younger and a little cheaper in the short-term. Calgary becomes more skilled in the middle in preparation for life after Gaudreau and gains some cap certainty in the long-term.

To critique your trade idea other than the value aspect, Calgary really doesn't seem to like Russians for some odd reason. I'm confused how moving Monahan gets us ready for life after Gaudreau (A short contract).

I too couldn't help myself for core players and I have two concepts:

Spencer Knight to Arizona for immediate help. I think Florida wants to contend right away and Arizona's hand is so bad after Chayka that I think the two clubs should swap futures and roster players. Knight for Chychrun basis so Ekblad doesn't have to do as much heavy lifting and Yotes can clear cash to weather through the next two seasons with their aging core because they lost their top picks?

I wonder if Ducks and TML would try to trade again. TML should offer a kings ransom for Gibson. Something crazy like Nylander, Sandin and Andersen for Gibson ish (unsure what the balancer would be). Ducks super speed their retool by adding talent up top and adding a nice D prospect to their looted d corps and can possibly go on a last huzzah with Getzlaff. TML upgrade in net with one of the top goalies in the league and also walk away with extra cap space to chase AP.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
To Carolina: #40, Laine & Poolman

To Winnipeg: #13, Necas, & Pesce

That literally makes no sense for the Canes. Two assets they can't afford to trade for one they can't afford to keep and one they have no use for. Also, picks.

I'm not saying the value is off...but it doesn't benefit Carolina to make this deal. They don't need Laine (and can't afford to keep him)...they have 5 top-6 F and need to acquire, ideally, a 2nd-line wing with size that can be acquired with specs, picks and their surplus of LHD. (They're not well-positioned to move a RHD.)

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
To Buffalo: Larkin

To Detroit: #8, Cozens, Okposo

First, DET obviously isn't trading Larkin. Second, #8 and Cozens probably doesn't get Larkin alone let alone adding a cap dump Third? Third, why would Okposo be in this deal? It makes it even worse. BUF needs to keep adding.

Reactions: bernmeister

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
TB’s Gourde to Colorado for Kaut

Laine + Roslovic to NYR for Kakko + Deangelo + 3rd

Roslovic to Minny for a 3rd

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
First, DET obviously isn't trading Larkin. Second, #8 and Cozens probably doesn't get Larkin alone let alone adding a cap dump Third? Third, why would Okposo be in this deal? It makes it even worse. BUF needs to keep adding.

If I'm Buffalo, I'm not trading #8 + Cozens for Larkin alone...

Okposo is in the deal because Buffalo would be looking to compete immediately, so having 6 million tied up to a bottom 6 winger is going to hinder that goal...

And on the flip side, Detroit wouldn't be looking to compete for several years, so having Okposo taking up cap space wouldn't hinder anything...

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
For fun here goes:

Calgary:
- R. Ristolainen
- C. Middlestat

Buffalo
- J. Goudreau
- O. Kyllington

Edit: Misread the Core pieces part

Here is Trade 2 within guidelines ( excuse Cap issues if there are any )

Edmonton:
- S Santini
- N. Bonino 50% Retained

Nashville
- J. Archibald
- 4th 2021

Have at it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad