Confirmed with Link: Ned to DET for Bernier’s rights and a 3rd

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
23 games is consistent? But its Waddell that is illogical, ok.
If Waddell and company thought the "final straw" was one bad goal in the playoffs, after 23 games of consistency only matched by 2 of 40 or so other goalies then yes they are illogical.

By the way, I never said the 23 games supported consistency per se, it does support ALL the other success:
Gold-medal winning goalie in WJC-18
Bronze-medal goalie in WJC-20 (actually with better numbers since some are obsessed: 1.66/.943)
AHL Calder Cup
Here are his numbers from 4 playoff appearances as a professional:
1.92/.930 in 7 games in ECHL
2.11/.911 in first year with Checkers in AHL
2.34/.916 in winning the Calder Cup
2.17/.920 this year in NHL

Waddell logically thinks Nedeljkovic is inconsistent.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Waddell and company thought the "final straw" was one bad goal in the playoffs, after 23 games of consistency only matched by 2 of 40 or so other goalies then yes they are illogical.

By the way, I never said the 23 games supported consistency per se, it does support ALL the other success:
Gold-medal winning goalie in WJC-18
Bronze-medal goalie in WJC-20 (actually with better numbers since some are obsessed: 1.66/.943)
AHL Calder Cup
Here are his numbers from 4 playoff appearances as a professional:
1.92/.930 in 7 games in ECHL
2.11/.911 in first year with Checkers in AHL
2.34/.916 in winning the Calder Cup
2.17/.920 this year in NHL

Waddell logically thinks Nedeljkovic is inconsistent.
I like how you left out all of his lesser stat years to include looking worse than Forsberg in 19-20 in a short nhl stint. His first year in the AHL he had 25 games, 3.40, and .881 sv percentage.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I like how you left out all of his lesser stat years
This is getting tiresome. I clearly said in an earlier post he had two years <.910 in the regular season, when he was the winningest goalie in the league. So what did I leave out. The playoff stats I included were from his ENTIRE professional career. I am not leaving things out, the reality just doesn't fit the narrative of Ned being inconsistent. He WINS consistently, he has consistent GAA and SV% in the playoffs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This is getting tiresome. I clearly said in an earlier post he had two years <.910 in the regular season, when he was the winningest goalie in the league. So what did I leave out. The playoff stats I included were from his ENTIRE professional career. I am not leaving things out, the reality just doesn't fit the narrative of Ned being inconsistent. He WINS consistently, he has consistent GAA and SV% in the playoffs.
Wins mean very little, if not zero, to a goaltender transitioning to a NHL career but you continue to beat that drum.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Wins mean very little, if not zero, to a goaltender transitioning to a NHL career but you continue to beat that drum.

This is hilarious because this was the same argument that folks tried to use to justify not giving him starts in the first place... and then he hung up a .930 NHL save percentage.

Of course, once upon a time, Scott Darling had a season .936 save percentage -- and that guy is a winner! He won a Stanley Cup!

Everyone is so certain. I dunno, man. Goalies are still f***ing voodoo.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I know this is Forum 26, but I don't know why we've either got to shit on Ned or shit on the front office. I didn't like the move, think it will prove to be pretty bad going forward, and I simultaneously understand GMBC's logic. Instead of consuming the shit sandwich, I'm waiting for the actual entree.

Patience Padwan.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
This is hilarious because this was the same argument that folks tried to use to justify not giving him starts in the first place... and then he hung up a .930 NHL save percentage.

Of course, once upon a time, Scott Darling had a season .936 save percentage -- and that guy is a winner! He won a Stanley Cup!

Everyone is so certain. I dunno, man. Goalies are still f***ing voodoo.
I completely agree. But one can’t help but think that Waddell and company have a plan in place to bring in a better goalie then Bernier. But Bernier still put up pretty good numbers playing behind Detroit’s defense last year.

Reactions: DaveG

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
Are we seriously pursuing anyone that has actually won anything? Who has a champion's pedigree? Survived the test?

I find it interesting that so many of the Checkers have hit the road or been sent packing when they actually accomplished their goal.
Are we seriously pursuing anyone that has actually won anything? Who has a champion's pedigree? Survived the test?

I find it interesting that so many of the Checkers have hit the road or been sent packing when they actually accomplished their goal.
Perhaps management is revisiting the Deal they backed out on for John Gibson? :sarcasm:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Sara Civ on 99.9 with dunking on the trade takes from yesterday

I really like Sara but I don't think that's a good look either. I understand that there are some really bad takes out there, but of course it's easier for her because she isn't from here and she knows an incredible amount of information that the fans aren't privy too. From the outside to those who aren't patient the situation looks awful. We know it's not as bad as it looks but doing something that alienates fans right now probably doesn't help the bottom line.

They may view it like they would view me if they signed DeAngelo. No one would miss me or those fans if they/we were gone. Dundon gets paid no matter what.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I really like Sara but I don't think that's a good look either. I understand that there are some really bad takes out there, but of course it's easier for her because she isn't from here and she knows an incredible amount of information that the fans aren't privy too. From the outside to those who aren't patient the situation looks awful. We know it's not as bad as it looks but doing something that alienates fans right now probably doesn't help the bottom line.

They may view it like they would view me if they signed DeAngelo. No one would miss me or those fans if they/we were gone. Dundon gets paid no matter what.

I can assure you, the athletic beat reporter calling out bad takes is like #400 on the list of things that might hurt the bottom line.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
A source of mine (1-degree of separation from Canes leadership) confirmed to me Ned asked the Canes for $5million per year. Adds a bit more rationale to their decision to let him go, IMO. That's too rich for the sample size he was able to put together this early into his career.

Adam Gold mentioned on his podcast that the initial ask from Ned's agent was 5X5.....

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The trade at least, I assume, was one very much to his liking, and the contract with DRW was promptly signed. I'm... not sure if I want to believe his public statement on how it happened.

edit: Actually. Trade to DRW: July 22. New contract with DRW: July 22. Go bullshit someone else.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Now go get signature to that from someone who's actually gonna pay you that."

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Mr. Dundon, I got here one from Detroit for 3 millions."
"No one likes a smartass, Nedeljkovic."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Considering the report was the Canes’ offer was $1.5M:

I can see countering at $5M in an effort to get to a desired $3M contract. The problem with that strategy is Carolina no longer appears to believe in negotiation.

Exactly. If we offered $1.5 and Ned countered with $5 (or vise versa), the goal was always going to be around $3. That's how the song and dance has been done for decades.

Unfortunately, the Borg seems to have taken a "Here's what you're worth. Take it or pack your bags" approach, which is baffling for a number of reasons. Yes, you can occasionally get a good player for cheaper than what they might be worth in the market, but any agent worth a damn is going to basically blacklist Carolina if they keep this approach up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Exactly. If we offered $1.5 and Ned countered with $5 (or vise versa), the goal was always going to be around $3. That's how the song and dance has been done for decades.

Unfortunately, the Borg seems to have taken a "Here's what you're worth. Take it or pack your bags" approach, which is baffling for a number of reasons. Yes, you can occasionally get a good player for cheaper than what they might be worth in the market, but any agent worth a damn is going to basically blacklist Carolina if they keep this approach up.
Flip side: if management doesn’t think Ned is “ the guy”, then why overpay him by $1.5M just because negotiations are done that way.

In the end, they may be dead wrong on Ned, but it’s abundantly clear that they didn’t see him as a full time starter and weren’t willing to pay him $3m per year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yet, they turned around and gave more money to different goalies.

A number that started with a 1 most likely came with a 1 year term. That's a prove-it contract and that points to a team that just didn't believe in the player at the time. Their prior actions, not clearing space to give him a legit opportunity in prior seasons and waiving him earlier in the year, offers supporting evidence of a bearish view on how good he is.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Flip side: if management doesn’t think Ned is “ the guy”, then why overpay him by $1.5M just because negotiations are done that way.

In the end, they may be dead wrong on Ned, but it’s abundantly clear that they didn’t see him as a full time starter and weren’t willing to pay him $3m per year.

That's fair. I'll just remain baffled as to what they saw that made them believe he couldn't be a starter. I mean, we can talk sample size, but there are (and have been) starters that have never had a run of games like Ned did last year.

Seems like a really odd business decision to spend all this time and resources to develop the guy, only to ship him off when that finally looks to be paying off.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My problem with hating on them for the Ned thing is that I myself didn’t believe in Ned. I loved that he was overachieving but I felt that it was just that. I saw him as a backup to a unquestioned higher end starter, or maybe splitting time with Mrazek. I don’t mean to slight Mrazek there as I love that guy. If there seemed no way to get him to a reasonable cost then I don’t care so much about whatever we offered him.

Im trying to bring that line of thinking to Dougie but I just struggle there. He’s clearly worth more than the low end figures we’ve heard from multiple credible sources. That’s a valuation issue or just a plain TD concept of “we can always find someone to do the job for cheap”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad