Rumor: Necas (CAR) on the market

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pretty much all of this except I suspect that the door closed on Skjei the moment the ink hit paper on Orlov. I will be disappointed but not surprised if after he's gone, it comes out that we never had substantive contract talks with Skjei.
Skjei has been such a beast for 3 years now. It will suck to see him go but I still have faith in the Canes back end. I haven't watched a ton of games this year but recently the ones I've watched Orlov has been playing way better. He can be an absolute menace on the ice with or without the puck which is awesome.

Jake Guentzel for Necas. who Adds
0% chance the Canes entertain this

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
What are the habs giving up? They also have to pay him 8x8. Just looked at the Habs capfriendly. Ugh what a mess.
Our cap is fine, we have 2 issue contracts but no major ones coming due and your looking at it without considering that prices 10.5M is on LTIR we could afford it without even changing much of the roster. Edit if anything we'd want to spend an additional $7.5M for next season to ensure we can maximize LTIR

also we'd beat the offer of a 1st and 2 2nds by giving up the CGY/FLA 2025 1st and the WPG 2024 1st

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Our cap is fine, we have 2 issue contracts but no major ones coming due and your looking at it without considering that prices 10.5M is on LTIR we could afford it without even changing much of the roster

also we'd beat the offer of a 1st and 2 2nds by giving up the CGY/FLA 2025 1st and the WPG 2024 1st
Winnepeg 1st is a 31st atm?

That is 2 spots ahead of our 2nd rounder...

19th overall 33rd overall and another 2nd

or

31st overall and Conditional Potected1st the next year.

Doesnt exactly blow it out of the water. Chicago has Toronto 1st next year too.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Winnepeg 1st is a 31st atm?

That is 2 spots ahead of our 2nd rounder...

19th overall 33rd overall and another 2nd

or

31st overall and Conditional Potected1st the next year.

Doesnt exactly blow it out of the water.
1st, the WPG 1st is 27th, its more likely to be 27th then 31st because of the rules on the 1st for last 4 pick 29-32. You may be thinking Florida right now from Calgary.

and it's more likely then not the pick next year is a pick in the low teens, the only way it's not is if Calgary is bottom 10 (which admittedly could happen) and Florida is still top 5 in the league

So toss in a 2nd to beat it on the off chance that Carolina is forced to take floridas pick

Edit:
MTL
WPG 1st (25-32) + Calgary 1st (10-20) in 25
or
WPG 1st + Fla 1st in 25/24 there pick+ 2nd rd

vs.
Tampa 1st +33+ 60th

I know which one I'd want my team to take

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While that might be true it still doesn’t make sense given the reasons I already listed.

Depends on what Carolina feels is their window.

Looking at their group it’s not beyond the next few years. Pesce and Skeji are either walking or seeing cap increases. Necas same.

Players like Burns and Staal are another year older.

It’s fun to build the perfect team for sustained success. But eventually you have to push all the chips into the table. Colorado thought they’d be cup contenders for years. Look at them.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Depends on what Carolina feels is their window.

Looking at their group it’s not beyond the next few years. Pesce and Skeji are either walking or seeing cap increases. Necas same.

Players like Burns and Staal are another year older.

It’s fun to build the perfect team for sustained success. But eventually you have to push all the chips into the table. Colorado thought they’d be cup contenders for years. Look at them.

Canes are going for sustained success. They’re not going to give Guentzel the contract they’ve already refused to give other players. They simply don’t operate that way.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd say there's a 30% chance Necas is moved this offseason. Unlikely, but definitely possible. That probably only happens if he wants too high of a salary. I'd imagine the Canes would do anything under $7M. It's hard to justify giving him $8M or anything as he just doesn't have a long enough track record as a high scorer, and tends to play worse in the playoffs. Svechnikov is more important to the team and gets $7.75M caphit through his prime. Necas is also not strong defensively (nor is Svechnikov, for the record).

I think $6.5M is probably a fair offer with some term, but recent cap inflation might make that a low offer.

If he asks for too much, the Canes would prefer to move him for a young player rather than a 1st. Unless that first is in the top 10, it's probably not worth it for a developed player like Necas. If the best offer we get is around a #27 overall, for example, I'd rather just overpay or punt and do a 1-2 year deal for Necas. Also we won't trade Necas for a rental, that's ridiculous.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
1st, the WPG 1st is 27th, its more likely to be 27th then 31st because of the rules on the 1st for last 4 pick 29-32. You may be thinking Florida right now from Calgary.

and it's more likely then not the pick next year is a pick in the low teens, the only way it's not is if Calgary is bottom 10 (which admittedly could happen) and Florida is still top 5 in the league

So toss in a 2nd to beat it on the off chance that Carolina is forced to take floridas pick

Edit:
MTL
WPG 1st (25-32) + Calgary 1st (10-20) in 25
or
WPG 1st + Fla 1st in 25/24 there pick+ 2nd rd

vs.
Tampa 1st +33+ 60th

I know which one I'd want my team to take
2024 NHL Mock Draft with Lottery Simulator | Tankathon Just used this for the 31st pick.

Sure that prob beats it but it sure doesnt beat it by much and not "without even blinking".

27th-31st and 18-20th or 19th 33rd and 60th really not much difference.

Chicago could easily go right back over the top but we can do that back and forth all day. It was just a sample of what Carolina could do.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd say there's a 30% chance Necas is moved this offseason. Unlikely, but definitely possible. That probably only happens if he wants too high of a salary. I'd imagine the Canes would do anything under $7M. It's hard to justify giving him $8M or anything as he just doesn't have a long enough track record as a high scorer, and tends to play worse in the playoffs. Svechnikov is more important to the team and gets $7.75M caphit through his prime. Necas is also not strong defensively (nor is Svechnikov, for the record).

I think $6.5M is probably a fair offer with some term, but recent cap inflation might make that a low offer.

If he asks for too much, the Canes would prefer to move him for a young player rather than a 1st. Unless that first is in the top 10, it's probably not worth it for a developed player like Necas. If the best offer we get is around a #27 overall, for example, I'd rather just overpay or punt and do a 1-2 year deal for Necas. Also we won't trade Necas for a rental, that's ridiculous.
if the pick is top 5 would Carolina add? If so what? I’d rather have necas than any forward not named celebrini in this draft personally.

But Anaheim also has to answer the RHD issue…. And there are some options we could just take there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Looking at the trade history of the team in the last five years, Carolina just isn't a big splash team. Everything is relatively conservative. There have really only been 2-3 big trades - Burns (if you even count it), the Trochek trade, and the Lindhol/Hanifin trade. And even the Trochek trade wasn't giving up major assets. Really, they have one BIG trade in the last several years.

That means this is will likely be a very lackluster, low key trade that doesn't move the needle for them. I could see something like Kakko+2nd.

That's even if they decide to trade him. I would bet on them keeping him and signing him to a 2 year deal for $4-5mil. Again, Carolina just isn't a team that takes many chances.

Reactions: Tryamw

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
if the pick is top 5 would Carolina add? If so what? I’d rather have necas than any forward not named celebrini in this draft personally.

But Anaheim also has to answer the RHD issue…. And there are some options we could just take there.
Good question. I have no idea. Obviously it depends on what players are still available at that pick .

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
2024 NHL Mock Draft with Lottery Simulator | Tankathon Just used this for the 31st pick.

Sure that prob beats it but it sure doesnt beat it by much and not "without even blinking".

27th-31st and 18-20th or 19th 33rd and 60th really not much difference.

Chicago could easily go right back over the top but we can do that back and forth all day. It was just a sample of what Carolina could do.
the point was more to say that other teams would offer more then that and then some so it likely would need to be more then what your offering to get necas

wraparound

May 17, 2014
How about Dunn + 1st for Necas? Seattle has Evans coming up in need of a spot to play & the Kraken’s top 6 needs an established player of Necas’ ilk. I think his desire to play C could be accommodated with Beniers & Wright as the future of their center depth.

I know Seattle wants to be in the playoff conversation more than not, so I could see them trading their 1st (lottery protected?) for a much-needed upgrade up front. Especially if/when Wennberg leaves.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Looking at the trade history of the team in the last five years, Carolina just isn't a big splash team. Everything is relatively conservative. There have really only been 2-3 big trades - Burns (if you even count it), the Trochek trade, and the Lindhol/Hanifin trade. And even the Trochek trade wasn't giving up major assets. Really, they have one BIG trade in the last several years.

That means this is will likely be a very lackluster, low key trade that doesn't move the needle for them. I could see something like Kakko+2nd.

That's even if they decide to trade him. I would bet on them keeping him and signing him to a 2 year deal for $4-5mil. Again, Carolina just isn't a team that takes many chances.

Carolina is underrated in its boldness. They took a shot on 3 years of 37-year old Burns when others would not. They once acquired both Trocheck and Skjei, two key role players, in one single trade deadline. They pulled off the first successful offer sheet in nearly 15 years and handed that player an 8 year extension the next year. They gave nearly $8M to Orlov in order to fortify an existing strength. They've done quite a heck of a lot without a ton of fanfare around the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Carolina is underrated in its boldness. They took a shot on 3 years of 37-year old Burns when others would not. They once acquired both Trocheck and Skjei, two key role players, in one single trade deadline. They pulled off the first successful offer sheet in nearly 15 years and handed that player an 8 year extension the next year. They gave nearly $8M to Orlov in order to fortify an existing strength. They've done quite a heck of a lot without a ton of fanfare around the league.
Trochek was a rental and they gave up a relatively meager amount for him (depending on how one views Haula). Skjei was a straight-forward, safe move. As was Orlov but even then, that was only a two-year deal.

What I'm saying is that they aren't the "go get a high-profile" rental to really get them over the hump. They more likely would rather be content with a 2nd round loss and keep the assets rather than go for it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Be that as it may, they’ve let other top talent leave in free agency as they won’t give max length contracts to guys which will take them into their mid-late 30’s. I don’t expect that to change even for Guentzel.

It's more about the type of player. Canes aren't against having older guys - they have the second-oldest roster in the league. They traded for a 37 year old Burns with term until age 40, and recently gave a 34-year old Staal a 4 year contract. Giving a long UFA extension to an Aho or a Slavin (who I expect the Canes to make an exception for) is different from doing it for a Guentzel. You'd have to really be sure about the longevity of his game in order to go term with him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I think it would depend on who becomes available. A deal built around Necas + Morrow + picks IIRC was something the team was ready to send to Calgary for Tkachuk until Florida went full Leeroy Jenkins on their offer. If the other Tkachuk brother were to become available I can see the Canes being very interested and dangling Necas as part of that again.

Kakko + 2nd wouldn't get it done in a trade, Canes would just re-sign him if that's the best offer they get.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Never had a player like Guentzel tbh in the Dundon era.
I'm sorry... what? I mean I like Guentzel but he isn't exactly some sort of elite superstar here. He'd absolutely be a great addition and one of the top scoring options for us but to suggest he would be our best forward (and by some clear margin) is a wild take. He produces about the same as Aho but as a winger instead of a C, while being 3 years older.

I’d love to hear you explain that.
I think they mean win win as in a double win for Pittsburgh

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm sorry... what? I mean I like Guentzel but he isn't exactly some sort of elite superstar here. He'd absolutely be a great addition and one of the top scoring options for us but to suggest he would be our best forward (and by some clear margin) is a wild take. He produces about the same as Aho but as a winger instead of a C, while being 3 years older.

I think they mean win win as in a double win for Pittsburgh
Right?

25 year old high scoring average rfa to be for a rental?!? Guentzel gets the same thing all good rentals get. A first and a prospect. Maybe another lower pick or lower prospect added if he’s the ufa of all ufa’s.

No one gets a Necas for a rental.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Trochek was a rental and they gave up a relatively meager amount for him (depending on how one views Haula). Skjei was a straight-forward, safe move. As was Orlov but even then, that was only a two-year deal.

What I'm saying is that they aren't the "go get a high-profile" rental to really get them over the hump. They more likely would rather be content with a 2nd round loss and keep the assets rather than go for it.
Trochek had 2 more years on his deal after they acquired him mid-season.

Skjei they bought low on at a time when the Rangers had no defensive structure and he had taken steps back from his rookie year. Rangers were worried about the money commitment they made moving forward so Canes were able to get him for a late 1st. The deal had risk but Skjei has massively overperformed on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad