Rumor: Necas (CAR) on the market

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm sorry... what? I mean I like Guentzel but he isn't exactly some sort of elite superstar here. He'd absolutely be a great addition and one of the top scoring options for us but to suggest he would be our best forward (and by some clear margin) is a wild take. He produces about the same as Aho but as a winger instead of a C, while being 3 years older.

I think they mean win win as in a double win for Pittsburgh

I'm not as afraid of longer contracts for older players as many others are, but the key is figuring out who ages the best. I'm just not sure that I or the Hurricanes would make that bet for Guentzel. Maybe they will - never say never - but they will do it at a typical deadline price, not for Necas LMAO!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Necas

For

Kemell
L'Heureux
Nyquist
Legit do not know who these players are except for Nyquist who is obviously not a player the Canes are chomping at the bit to get.

I see they are recent 1st round picks from Nashville so obviously some promise... but yeah... I just prefer to re-sign Necas for something like 7 years @ $6.5m

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Right?

25 year old high scoring average rfa to be for a rental?!? Guentzel gets the same thing all good rentals get. A first and a prospect. Maybe another lower pick or lower prospect added if he’s the ufa of all ufa’s.

No one gets a Necas for a rental.
Exactly. I would think a Guentzel offer involving Carolina would be along the lines of choice of Morrow/Lucius + 1st, possibly with another conditional pick for if Carolina wins the cup since IIRC picks that are conditional on a player being re-signed are no longer a thing. I could have that last bit wrong, who knows.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The absence of major trades is not evidence of conservatism. Star forwards in their mid-20s aren't readily available. The Canes can't force an Elias Pettersson out of Vancouver. They can only be ready to bid if it's time for him to leave, by choice of player or team. That's evidently what they did for Eichel, Tkachuk and Meier. The stars didn't align. Be ready for the next one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Legit do not know who these players are except for Nyquist who is obviously not a player the Canes are chomping at the bit to get.

I see they are recent 1st round picks from Nashville so obviously some promise... but yeah... I just prefer to re-sign Necas for something like 7 years @ $6.5m
L'Heureux is the guy that Nashville drafted with the pick we traded to them a few years back. IIRC we got 2 of our best prospects with picks in that trade (Morrow and Koivunen).

He's productive, and physical, but he's also a headcase if his suspension history is an indicator.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Trochek had 2 more years on his deal after they acquired him mid-season.

Skjei they bought low on at a time when the Rangers had no defensive structure and he had taken steps back from his rookie year. Rangers were worried about the money commitment they made moving forward so Canes were able to get him for a late 1st. The deal had risk but Skjei has massively overperformed on that.
You're right. I had Haula in my mind as the guys they kept for half a season after getting them from VGK. My bad.

But I think your second line there proves my point that Skjei was a low-risk, conservative, smart-business move. They capitalized on a cap situation. That's in the mold of the deals they make, not flash rentals to put them over the top at the TDL potentially.

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’d love to hear you explain that.

Since coming into the league Jake scores like MacKinnon and McDavid in the playoffs. Over a span of 50+ games.

No Carolina Hurricane has scored 40 goals in the last ten years.

He’s exactly what the Canes need.

Necas is a solid top six forward. He gives the Penguins some youth. He is nowhere close to the impact player Jake Guentzel is.

Penguins get a younger player they can likely resign for a few years then deal for assets.

Carolina gets their elite game changer they have desperately needed for nearly five years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm sorry... what? I mean I like Guentzel but he isn't exactly some sort of elite superstar here. He'd absolutely be a great addition and one of the top scoring options for us but to suggest he would be our best forward (and by some clear margin) is a wild take. He produces about the same as Aho but as a winger instead of a C, while being 3 years older.

I think they mean win win as in a double win for Pittsburgh

Guentzel and Aho are comparable players.

Over the last few seasons they have exactly the same point line with Jake playing 205 games and Aho playing 209.

Jake has 13 less points in 19 less playoff games. And one less goal.

Canes have Aho. But no other player comes close to Jake on their roster from a goalscoring and production standpoint. Especially when you factor in how he does damage in the playoffs.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Guentzel and Aho are comparable players.

Over the last few seasons they have exactly the same point line with Jake playing 205 games and Aho playing 209.

Jake has 13 less points in 19 less playoff games. And one less goal.

Canes have Aho. But no other player comes close to Jake on their roster from a goalscoring and production standpoint. Especially when you factor in how he does damage in the playoffs.
Yeah… I was just easily rebuking your point of ‘Canes have never had a player like Guentzel’ during the Dundon era…. Which as you mention is not true

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sure... there are RFA's and UFA's to be signed but not all are the same priority or pricepoints.
Yep, I agree. My response was to the poster said they should easily sign the big RFAs because they have 31M. My comment was that the $31M includes having to sign or replace some other guys as well. Even if some of these guys walk, replacements for them are needed. We also are already short a top 6 forward as well. I'm not suggesting it's not doable, just that saying there was $31M is a bit misleading with everything else.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes likely lose Pesch and Skjei. Imagine they want young defense and a goalie
Canes have Andersen, Kochetkov and a rising prospect in Khazeyev that is putting up big numbers in Russia in net. Goalie isn't a concern short or long term.

Defensively we have Morrow and the best defenseman not in the show in Nikishin in the pipeline.

Our need is a top line caliber forward, preferably center, that we can have under team control significantly longer than this post season run.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes likely lose Pesch and Skjei. Imagine they want young defense and a goalie

The Canes practically signed Orlov to be a bridge between Skjei and Nikishin. The only true need that the Canes have on defense is one more righty. There's an underrated shot that they actually find a way to keep Pesce, at least IMO, especially because his offensive numbers have been poor this year.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
not sure how true this is, but damn, the Bruins would and should BE ALL over this.
pasta with necas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Since coming into the league Jake scores like MacKinnon and McDavid in the playoffs. Over a span of 50+ games.

Necas is a solid top six forward. He gives the Penguins some youth. He is nowhere close to the impact player Jake Guentzel is.

Penguins get a younger player they can likely resign for a few years then deal for assets.

Carolina gets their elite game changer they have desperately needed for nearly five years.
So, I think you’re being a bit disingenuous here.

Guentzel has scored 40 goals on the button twice. Aho scored 38 in 68 games in the first COVID shortened season and then also scored 37 and 36 goals in the last two seasons…. So the Canes haven’t had a 40 goal scorer in the last 10 years… sure… but Aho certainly would have hit that mark in 2020 and has been very close the last two years.

Over the course of their careers Jake averages 35 goals a season and Aho 34.

Secondly a healthy Svech at full abilities is at around the same level to Aho and Jake when you factor in physicality. Slightly less points but he’s 34 in 37 games this season so just shy of PPG.

Having said that… would JG be a big add to the Canes forward core? Yes. Absolutely and as mentioned he has a strong playoff track record.

You’re still not getting Necas for him as a rental.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
L'Heureux is the guy that Nashville drafted with the pick we traded to them a few years back. IIRC we got 2 of our best prospects with picks in that trade (Morrow and Koivunen).

He's productive, and physical, but he's also a headcase if his suspension history is an indicator.
He's had some issues in the past but he seems to be getting things under control and learning from it as the season has gone on.

He got a lot of Ref abuse penalties early, from what we can tell from our Milwaukee people only 1 was really deserved, the rest were more or less reputation based and as far as I can remember they haven't really been an issue in several months. I think he's probably started to learn that even if the Refs deserve it you gotta keep your mouth shut.

I think he will end up being fine, and if he can keep that edge that comes with that attitude he could be a handful to play against in the NHL.

Reactions: DaveG

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Would the Canes have any interest in something around Hayton and/or Schmaltz for Necas and another forward? Could also add Ingram in potentially and take a goalie back.

Hayton is a great 2 way center with some physicality and offensive potential. Schmaltz is a somewhat streaky elite offensive talent who may be able to play center, but isn't great at both ends of the ice.

Schmaltz is signed for 2 more years after this and a UFA afterwards, Hayton is only signed this year but is an RFA.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What would you want from Anaheim?
A roster upgrade. So nothing you are moving

Would the Canes have any interest in something around Hayton and/or Schmaltz for Necas and another forward? Could also add Ingram in potentially and take a goalie back.

Hayton is a great 2 way center with some physicality and offensive potential. Schmaltz is a somewhat streaky elite offensive talent who may be able to play center, but isn't great at both ends of the ice.

Schmaltz is signed for 2 more years after this and a UFA afterwards, Hayton is only signed this year but is an RFA.
No. It would be crouse +.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

There’s a lot to unpack here….

We all love to oversell our guy for trade proposal purposes but opening with comparing Jake to Mackinnon and Mcdavid is certainly a bold stroke. Unfortunately it leaves me feeling I’m talking to someone that doesn’t really deal with reality. I feel unconvinced on this Mcdavid/Mack point. I’m just gonna stick with my personal take that Jake is a natural goal scorer that’s primarily played with the best playmaker in the game from his first day. Occasionally I’m sure he’s played with the other guy who’s not that bad either. To act like Jake’s career and production has not been shaped by this is lunacy. Yes he’s a great finisher, but he will have a drop down to earth playing with the Canes.

Necas isn’t the finisher Jake is but he’s a creator more than Jake is. You’re undervaluing him, but I’m expecting that in these conversations.

The Canes don’t get an elite game changer they need, they get a very good finisher that they need.

Even if he was this “elite game changer”….hes a rental. Rentals have set prices. That price is a usually high pick and a variable prospect depending on the “eliteness” of the rental. You can have that standard price. Maybe even an extra pick or prospect that’s lesser than the first pick or prospect. You don’t get a 25 year old 60-70 pt scorer. There’s no precedent for that, and Jake isn’t the guy that breaks the precedent. Even Forsberg for Erat doesn’t apply here (it shouldn’t apply anywhere) because Forsberg was a prospect not a developed and fairly proven NHL player like Necas.

Jake is what the Canes need, on a long term contract. He’s just passing through town as a rental. You’d get a first and you can argue over the non Nikishin prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad