Rumor: Necas (CAR) on the market

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
This is more of a summer move than a TD move.

Canes brass not wanting to pay Necas on his big pay day?

Wouldn't be the most bizarre outcome...

Habs would be all over it and Carolina has 4 up and coming UFAs over their 7 actual NHL defensemen, this coming summer.

The 3 others gonna be UFAs next summer (2025).

So Necas for Guhle make sense?

This would have to be a draft day trade and MTL would draft one of the very good defensemen available in the top 10 of the 2024 draft, to replace Guhle (Dickinson? Silayev? Buium?).

P.S.: if you want to downplay Guhle for his offensive stats, Guhle is more or less a 8 years younger Slavin.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
For the record, Erat wasn’t a rental. George McPhee to this day has yet to be involved in a high priced rental trade. Erat had term (an additional 2 seasons) at a friendly number for what he provided in prior years. The Caps just didn’t catch the decline in his game that season. Pro scouting L.

The top rental trades of the cap era are Hossa, Kovalchuk, Duchene and Hall. Horvat too, depending on how you view the extension timing. Stone is the big extended impending UFA.

There’s nothing like Necas in any of those returns. You could argue that he’s worth what some of those players went for in a Summer trade. A direct deal is unprecedented, however.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This is more of a summer move than a TD move.

Canes brass not wanting to pay Necas on his big pay day raise?

Wouldn't be the most bizarre thing...

Habs would be all over it and Carolina has 4 up and coming UFAs over their 7 actual NHL defensemen, this coming summer.

The 3 others gonna be UFAs next summer (2025).

So Necas for Guhle make sense?

This would have to be a draft day trade and MTL would draft one of the very good defensemen available in the top 10 of the 2024 draft, to replace Guhle (Dickinson? Silayev? Buium?).

P.S.: if you want to downplay Guhle for his offensive stats, Guhle is more or less a 8 years younger Slavin.

Guhle isn't available, he's currently our number 1 D. And long term if we trade him we immediately need to look and replace him.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Guhle isn't available, he's currently our number 1 D. And long term if we trade him we immediately need to look and replace him.

I agree.. in the actual scheme of things.

1- as I said it's more of a summer/draft day move than a TD move.

2- 3 excellent LHD in the next draft top 10 and one of them might easily be the BPA at Habs pick.

3- Habs have plenty of depth on the left side. So IF the #2 scenario takes place, then you trade him for an equivalent young forward.

If Habs draft a forward, then nothing of this happens and Guhle stays in MTL.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
pretty nicely, been working on the defensive side of his game at UMass the past few years. Biggest reason he wasn't under contract this year already was our affiliate situation.

If we were trading Mitts.......a package from Carolina of Drury and Morrow might be of significant interest then.

Drury is EXACTLY the type of player Buffalo needs at center.

Hmmmmm.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If we were trading Mitts.......a package from Carolina of Drury and Morrow might be of significant interest then.

Drury is EXACTLY the type of player Buffalo needs at center.

Hmmmmm.

Pass. Mitts is the kind of center buffalo needs at center.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't disagree. Notice I said "IF we were trading Mitts". I wouldn't. Adams might.

And IF Adams does, Drury/Morrow would be a solid return (along with maybe like a 2nd/3rd-ish round pick maybe)

That feels like an immediate down grade being made up for by speculating on a B prospect and a 2nd

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Would something around Nik Ehlers from Winnipeg work as a base for Carolina? Not that the Jets are looking to move Ehlers, but something just seems off in the way he is used by Bowness.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Right?

25 year old high scoring average rfa to be for a rental?!? Guentzel gets the same thing all good rentals get. A first and a prospect. Maybe another lower pick or lower prospect added if he’s the ufa of all ufa’s.

No one gets a Necas for a rental.
Given Pittsburgh's dumpster fire of a prospect pool, I would think they'd be interested in prospects even more than picks. I saw Cruz Lucius mentioned. I'd think that Jackson Blake or even Gleb Trikozov may be of interest. I could see a package of a couple of those guys as something the Penguins might be interested in.

Reactions: DaveG

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It would either, at least IMO, be either Necas for Crouse+pick or Necas+pick for Keller. Either a value contract or a legitimate roster upgrade.
No. It would be crouse +.
While I would heavily consider Crouse + a pick for Necas, I think Crouse probably has more value. I'm not sure why you would want him, considering he's a winger that probably doesn't solve any scoring issues for CAR (even if I think he could probably pretty easily get another 10-20 points if he played in the top 6 or got special teams time) and I was under the impression that Carolina really wanted elite scoring and/or a big mean good two way center, but GMBA would never consider trading either Crouse or Keller, so it's a pretty moot point.

For the record Hayton is signed at 1.77m and is an RFA afterwards, so you would get a lot of control over him, and he has the potential to put up 50-80 pts if he puts it together and is given an opportunity while already being an outstanding two way center and getting a bit meaner each season.

Jack McBain is pretty much exactly what you're looking for, and is young and an RFA, but I don't think he gets traded.

Schmaltz is the most elite player offensively on our team when he's on, but is streaky and is a UFA after 2 more years. He is also only signed at 5.85m though which is a pretty great deal.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
How does that make sense? Carolina would likely be moving on from Necas because of his contract ask, for something more cost controlled. Buch is older, UFA after next year, and also looking to cash in at 30 Y/o. Seems like you'd rather pay the guy you know than the guy you don't.
Who said sense for Carolina? Its clearly for the other team trying to get rid of Buchnevich. :-D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad