Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For clarity, there is no evidence that Copp has been anything but a team-first player to this point. If he wants out because the team is unable or unwilling to give him an objectively reasonable deal that does not make him a malcontent.
copp from post-arb case last time, take it fwiw. could just be your typical media jargon :dunno:

when asked about future in wpg

“No. That’s not a part of my thinking at all. We were hoping to sign longer than two years for sure. We’re at a place where I’ve learned my way around the city a little bit. I’ve got friends here. I’m definitely not asking for a trade or anything like that. I’m not crossing this city off the list of places for when I have the opportunity to go whichever direction I want. When the time comes again in two years, hopefully we’re at a place where I’m happy with my role and my value here and they’re happy with where I’m at and we can come to some sort of agreement.

don't think he wants out, just wants to get paid. KO will do his best to get him what he wants, whether it be here or quickest way to ufa

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
copp from post-arb case last time, take it fwiw. could just be your typical media jargon :dunno:

“No. That’s not a part of my thinking at all. We were hoping to sign longer than two years for sure. We’re at a place where I’ve learned my way around the city a little bit. I’ve got friends here. I’m definitely not asking for a trade or anything like that. I’m not crossing this city off the list of places for when I have the opportunity to go whichever direction I want. When the time comes again in two years, hopefully we’re at a place where I’m happy with my role and my value here and they’re happy with where I’m at and we can come to some sort of agreement.

don't think he wants out, just wants to get paid. KO will do his best to get him what he wants, whether it be here or quickest way to ufa

Yup. A lot of overthinking this one on the boards. If we can give him what he can get elsewhere, I'm sure he will stay. If not, nothing wrong with playing out the string

Reactions: AlaskaJet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don’t begrudge the guys trying to maximize earnings, it’s a really short career. I was legit happy for Poolman and Forbort getting paid but not by us.

Copp has been one of my favourite Jets players and whatever happens happens. I have never been a fan of his agent but he has a job to do.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
How do u define an objectively reasonable deal when the numbers thrown around here are all over the map. I just know he has overcharge as his agent when he could have got any other agent in the world and must know there is a negative relationship between his club and agent.
That’s like hiring someone who has given ur boss a wedgie last time they had to be in a room together to speak on your behalf.
Evolving hockey projects 4.99M on a LT deal
Murat Ates used his own math to project 4.75 LT

The jets simply can't afford that so one would be looking at a shorter term contract at a million less in AAV, ie $3.75-4.0

Copp is smart--he will understand the Jets' constraints and his own opportunities.. A 4.0 AAV over 2-3 years would be a 75% raise over his current salary and a 23% premium over Lowry's team-friendly LT contract. But the Jets may not be able to go that far. $3.75 over a 1-2 yr period is the other option, a 64% raise and rapid path to UFA.

In the end, the numbers aren't really all over the map on a shorter term deal.

One thing I am fairly certain about is that arbitration won't happen. It was brutal for Copp last time and would poison the well this time for whatever time he has left here. Neither party wants that.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
in concussion protocol

Not surprised. Even ignoring the knee directly to the side of his head, the way his helmet bounced off the ice surely did some damage. Concussion protocol in games often misses players because symptoms aren't always immediate.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Anyone else see the Keefe post game interview? He was complaining basically about everything. Then, to quote Sheldon Keefe:

"You make the decision, as a coach, I felt we needed to have a response.... I just felt, you know, at that point we needed to have some sort of response.... (we) needed to have a response of some nature... and you're willing to go with it there (inaudible) and get a penalty kill there and give ourselves a chance to come out of it. It didn't work out that way but I certainly did like the emotional response of our team given our circumstances."

What he said is that he made the decision to goon it up, even if they have to take some penalties. The shit show as the game progressed is directly as a result of Keefe. The refs didn't help, but Keefe just told everyone that he made the decision to goon it up. Clifford, Simmonds and Spezza got Keefe's instructions loud and clear.

We need to go 'Keefe' on Spezza with a 'response' to the Keefe/Spezza attempt to injure Pionk, when we play them in March. If you are going to target our skater's head, there must be an on ice price to pay regardless of suspension.

Edit: I am not calling for an equal response - trying to decapitate a Leaf. But a response needs to be sent specifically to Spezza. Do it with a big (legal) hit or hits ever time he is near the puck, or pester him into starting a fight, or other. There are lots of ways to respond. The Keefe/Spezza intent to injure was egregious. It should not go without a response.

Last edited:

Big Carl

Nov 24, 2021
Anyone else see the Keefe post game interview? He was complaining basically about everything. Then, to quote Sheldon Keefe:

"You make the decision, as a coach, I felt we needed to have a response.... I just felt, you know, at that point we needed to have some sort of response.... (we) needed to have a response of some nature... and you're willing to go with it there (inaudible) and get a penalty kill there and give ourselves a chance to come out of it. It didn't work out that way but I certainly did like the emotional response of our team given our circumstances."

What he said is that he made the decision to goon it up, even if they have to take some penalties. The shit show as the game progressed is directly as a result of Keefe. The refs didn't help, but Keefe just told everyone that he made the decision to goon it up. Clifford, Simmonds and Spezza got Keefe's instructions loud and clear.

We need to go 'Keefe' on Spezza with a 'response' to the Keefe/Spezza attempt to injure Pionk, when we play them in March. If you are going to target our skater's head, there must be an on ice price to pay regardless of suspension.

Exactly what we should not do, we aren’t them, let’s not go to their low and do the same thing back. I say if they can’t beat us in score and they want to be goons let them, goons don’t win games, goals do.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

No, we really don't. Try to have some faith that the DoPS will punish Spezza accordingly and stick to playing hockey. By the time we play them again it's near the end of the regular season and we don't need anyone getting a long term suspension for stupidity.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Exactly what we should not do, we aren’t them, let’s not go to their low and do the same thing back. I say if they can’t beat us in score and they want to be goons let them, goons don’t win games, goals do.

A response needs to be sent specifically to Spezza. Do it with a big (legal) hit or hits ever time he is near the puck, or pester him into starting a fight, or other. There are lots of ways to respond. The Keefe/Spezza intent to injure was egregious. It should not go without a response.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
A response needs to be sent specifically to Spezza. Do it with a big (legal) hit or hits ever time he is near the puck, or pester him into starting a fight, or other. There are lots of ways to respond. The Keefe/Spezza intent to injure was egregious. It should not go without a response.
But it should be done cleanly, I mean we aren’t tml around here.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Big Carl

Nov 24, 2021

Thats not our team, coach, or players job to do, it’s the leagues.

But our response in March should be getting Pionk a hat trick and beating the leafs in humiliating fashion.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
But it should be done cleanly, I mean we aren’t tml around here.

I don't know why, but I just had this mental picture of Byfuglien charging the Leafs dressing room post game and going all Tortorella on Spezza's ass... lmao I'm mental...

Seriously though, this team is hockey tough, not face puncher tough. The guys are better served playing hockey and we don't have a Peluso in the wings ready to call up because guys like that don't really have a purpose in the NHL anymore. Beat them on the scoreboard and enjoy watching Toronto flame out in the post season again when the checking gets tighter and fewer PP's get handed out like free candy for Matthews to score on... For a guy with his talent, he's f***ing invisible some nights outside of the PP. Even Nylander and Tavares looked more dangerous in the game against us at even strength.

Reactions: FonRiesen

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A couple of comments from the Laffs board.

There is no question PLD and Pionk have targets on their chests now.

I'd have Stanley at the top of the list for his antics at the end (had raise gesture)
I'd posterize it and put it on the dressing room wall before the next game they play, or anytime the team needs a wake up call.

I honestly dislike the Laffs' fans more than any other team's fans in the League.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A couple of comments from the Laffs board.

There is no question PLD and Pionk have targets on their chests now.

I'd have Stanley at the top of the list for his antics at the end (had raise gesture)
I'd posterize it and put it on the dressing room wall before the next game they play, or anytime the team needs a wake up call.

I honestly dislike the Laffs' fans more than any other team's fans in the League.
And it is a huge stretch to believe any team would be physically intimidated by the Leafs. I guess they can sic Spezza and Simonds on the Jets. What joke of a fan base.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And it is a huge stretch to believe any team would be physically intimidated by the Leafs. I guess they can sic Spezza and Simonds on the Jets. What joke of a fan base.

Leafs are quite possible the softest team in the league... just butter on top of meleted marshmallows on top of a baby's bum soft. LOL @ anyone being intimidated by them

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Leafs are quite possible the softest team in the league... just butter on top of meleted marshmallows on top of a baby's bum soft. LOL @ anyone being intimidated by them
The Leafs have been soft for years. Their response was to bring in bums like Clifford and Simmonds. It won’t change anything for them in the playoffs when guys like Matthews and Marner disappear again while they waste roster spots by dressing plugs in the name of toughness.

The NHL has largely moved past the goon era.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Leafs have been soft for years. Their response was to bring in bums like Clifford and Simmonds. It won’t change anything for them in the playoffs when guys like Matthews and Marner disappear again while they waste roster spots by dressing plugs in the name of toughness.

The NHL has largely moved past the goon era.

Leafs don't get that throwing a bunch of goons who engage in after the whistle stuff doesn't make the team tough. A tough team uses toughness in hockey games via throwing their body to impact plays via legal hits. I saw barely any hits from the Leafs that game. The Leafs haven't been tough since the Randy Carlyle era. Simmonds and Clifford are washed up... if the Jets wanted to dress guys like that they can also call up guys from the Moose.

Reactions: snowkiddin

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd give Pionk a couple of weeks off, make sure his head is right. Because he's a player you need to be healthy, and if he's lingering with symptoms, could be off his game, or derail his entire season.

Good time to bring Heinola up. I don't foresee Stanley being too comfortable playing his offside.

Besides someone is going to have to step up into the PP now? Maybe the Jets give Svetchnikov a look, and run two 4F, 1D units, but I'd like to see Ville get some PP time.

If the Jets are looking at trade value, maybe Gawanke gets a promotion, because if the Jets were in the market for Apples, he's the kind of player you'd be trying to showcase to Francis.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I couldn't agree more.
The Leafs tough guys are knuckle draggers that are in the league for one reason and one reason only.
The Jets' tough guys like Lowry, PLD, Dillon and Stanimal can all hockey.

An absolute joke of a fan base/team/organization.

Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Edit: I am not calling for an equal response - trying to decapitate a Leaf. But a response needs to be sent specifically to Spezza. Do it with a big (legal) hit or hits ever time he is near the puck, or pester him into starting a fight, or other. There are lots of ways to respond. The Keefe/Spezza intent to injure was egregious. It should not go without a response.

Spezza is a vet, and by the replay you can see he was fired up after Sandin went down. I don't think the coach had to stir up too many emotions, he just gave the tap to the guys who were going to stir it up.

Tit for tat hockey is dangerous. Because you forget the objective, which is winning. The bad blood spilled over from last year. It's too bad we don't play the Leafs more. By the time Jets do play them, making the playoffs should be the number one objective, and I think standings will dictate the game more than revenge. Though I suspect a leader like Adam Lowry might remember the incident. But I would certainly avoid playing games with intent to injure, because the Jets have some key players you wouldn't want injured, who can't really fight for themselves.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd give Pionk a couple of weeks off, make sure his head is right. Because he's a player you need to be healthy, and if he's lingering with symptoms, could be off his game, or derail his entire season.

Good time to bring Heinola up. I don't foresee Stanley being too comfortable playing his offside.

Besides someone is going to have to step up into the PP now? Maybe the Jets give Svetchnikov a look, and run two 4F, 1D units, but I'd like to see Ville get some PP time.

If the Jets are looking at trade value, maybe Gawanke gets a promotion, because if the Jets were in the market for Apples, he's the kind of player you'd be trying to showcase to Francis.
I’d run ves on pp before Svetchnikov.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Pionk will be run through the standard concussion protocol just like all players. There really isn't giving time off. Once he passes through it he will be cleared to play and will play. It could be 10 days, 3 months or next season. There is no time line but rather steps a player has to pass through under medical supervision.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

How about an "errant slapshot to the Leafs'bench, a couple times?" Just kidding. Just outscore them huge and make their coavh's seat a little warmer! Then, send Diloon and Stanley to shadow, follow, bodycheck Marner at every turn, stride and attempt to handletge puck. Also, Maurice needs to coach his players to encroach and hound-dog and rush oppositions net front, goalies, defenders. 2 outta 3 opposition teams do this regularly to Helle and Morrissey. Rarely a penalty or over-aggressive goals against called back for hoalie interference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad