Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
At a time when Darnel Nurse can command 9.25m AAV I guess this is par for the course. I like the term. The AAV? Not so much. Rather Pionk in the 5m range.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
At a time when Darnel Nurse can command 9.25m AAV I guess this is par for the course. I like the term. The AAV? Not so much. Rather Pionk in the 5m range.

Pionk is 13th in scoring over the last two years. He is surrounded by Hamilton, Krug, Pietrangelo, and Burns. I wouldn’t have been shocked if he received >5M on a one year deal in arbitration. This is a great contract.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Terrific! May be possible to do something decent to retain Copp! Copp was my thought for my next jersey....but obviously waiting to see what he signs. Love the player on the Jets! The money/agent is a different view...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Pionk is 13th in scoring over the last two years. He is surrounded by Hamilton, Krug, Pietrangelo, and Burns. I wouldn’t have been shocked if he received >5M on a one year deal in arbitration. This is a great contract.
And that's without pp1 minutes.....and questionable partners.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree. He is also making 500k less than the Jets' highest-paid D while outperforming him handily pretty much since he arrived from NY. I'd say this is an excellent deal that fits this window perfectly -- and means the Jets will have to play their cards carefully with respect to their top D prospects so they're ready to step in as Pionk and Dillon/Schmidt step out.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Very happy to have prime Pionk locked in for a very reasonable hit, with much better supporting cast for the coming season. Very good deal, Pionk and the Jets certainly worked together on this. Not a discount really, but very fair for both sides on the term and AAV.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is the 5 mil 'range'.:laugh:

Seriously, I would also rather Connor for 4 mil, Scheifele for 5, Wheeler for 4.5, etc, but that is obviously unrealistic.

Both the term and the AAV are very team friendly.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Extremely team-friendly deal! I was expecting him to hold out for more term (security) at higher AAV, but by agreeing to shorter term he has allowed us to re-sign Copp (if he is amenable).

Big picture: By getting rid of malcontents Trouba and Laine's contracts at $15.5M combined , the Jets have been able to rebuild their entire defense, while acquiring (Heinola) and retaining (Samberg, Stanley) their best defensive prospects.

:clap:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Extremely team-friendly deal! I was expecting him to hold out for more term (security) at higher AAV, but by agreeing to shorter term he has allowed us to re-sign Copp (if he is amenable).

Big picture: By getting rid of malcontents Trouba and Laine's contracts at $15.5M combined , the Jets have been able to rebuild their entire defense, while acquiring (Heinola) and retaining (Samberg, Stanley) their best defensive prospects.

:clap:
Yep if Copp is a malcontent hopefully Chevy can trade him for an upgrade.

Reactions: ocdaddy

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yep if Copp is a malcontent hopefully Chevy can trade him for an upgrade.
For clarity, there is no evidence that Copp has been anything but a team-first player to this point. If he wants out because the team is unable or unwilling to give him an objectively reasonable deal that does not make him a malcontent.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What if hes only good without fans though? :popcorn:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For clarity, there is no evidence that Copp has been anything but a team-first player to this point. If he wants out because the team is unable or unwilling to give him an objectively reasonable deal that does not make him a malcontent.

I 100% agree with this post.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How do u define an objectively reasonable deal when the numbers thrown around here are all over the map. I just know he has overcharge as his agent when he could have got any other agent in the world and must know there is a negative relationship between his club and agent.
That’s like hiring someone who has given ur boss a wedgie last time they had to be in a room together to speak on your behalf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad