Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Out of any defenceman in our lineup - our best asset and most expandable player is Morrissey. Heinola could step in for him quite easily... not sure if its in the cards but I sure would be shopping him... especially now that his contract is 'reasonable'.

Dillon-Pionk
Heinola-Schmidt
Stanley-Pionk
Samberg

If that means we keep Copp, sign Pionk long-term and add another bottom six... I'd absolutely do it.

I'd like to see Morrissey play a full season with a competent partner before shipping off a guy with 7 years left on his deal in a knee jerk trade because he looked bad with guys like Poolman and Beaulieu.

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Good discussion. I think it's reasonable to be slightly reticent here. Contract year, weird season.

On the other hand he looked super solid in every way while playing with a less capable partner.

I wouldn't hate a shorter deal for the flexibility but obviously you get more value from a longer one if he keeps it up. Let's hope...

Reactions: JetsUK

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, if we can get Pionk cheap enough on a 3-4 year deal so he can cash in as a UFA we should probably do it. We have the window, this team is going to need to be massively re-tooled in 3-4 years.

I'd like to get him long term on a cheap deal obviously but if it's 4.5-5 over 3-4 years vs 6.5-7 (judging from this insane D market) on a long term deal I'd rather risk him walking as a UFA.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Eh, if we can get Pionk cheap enough on a 3-4 year deal so he can cash in as a UFA we should probably do it. We have the window, this team is going to need to be massively re-tooled in 3-4 years.

I'd like to get him long term on a cheap deal obviously but if it's 4.5-5 over 3-4 years vs 6.5-7 (judging from this insane D market) on a long term deal I'd rather risk him walking as a UFA.
It’s starting at 6 and that’s still much lower than 8 or 9.

Reactions: bennylundholm

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Doesn't he have 2 years of RFA yet? those should be cheaper years, idk what the number is but I'd think just north of 4M for first 2 years of a 4 year deal and then his UFA years could arguably be valued up to around 6.5M. So I'd argue that a 4 year deal AAV should be just north of 5M.

Was replying to Bob E suggestion of 4 years @ 6.5K (forgot to hit reply)

Reactions: hn777 and Bob E

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Doesn't he have 2 years of RFA yet? those should be cheaper years, idk what the number is but I'd think just north of 4M for first 2 years of a 4 year deal and then his UFA years could arguably be valued up to around 6.5M. So I'd argue that a 4 year deal AAV should be just north of 5M.

Was replying to Bob E suggestion of 4 years @ 6.5K (forgot to hit reply)
You could be right too.

I was thinking

Yr 1: $5.5
Yr 2: $6.5
Yr 3: $6.5
Yr 4: $7.5

Reactions: Channelcat

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
2 days left until arbitration hearing and still no contract... I am starting to panic.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Can someone please enlighten me on exactly how arbitration works?
Does the arbitrator conclude term and money and also a bridge term and money?
Does Chevy decide to go with the long term or bridge deal?
Thanks

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks
I’m no expert. But I believe the team decides on 1 or 2 year before arbitration process starts. Unless it’s a situation like Copp where he’s 1 year from UFA - so his has to be 1 year for arbitration. And I think I’ve heard in some cases the team can walk away from the deal if they don’t like it and the player immediately becomes a UFA. Or the team can change it to a 1 year deal from 2 year deal if AAV goes over certain $$ (think it’s somewhere over $5M).

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thanks

In the case of Pionk the player chose arbitration so the team gets to choose.

The Jets give the arbitrator an offer for Pionk, they can either submit a 1 year deal which carries walk away rights or a 2 year deal which only carries walk away rights for 1 year of the 2 year deal. Pionk's camp gives the arbitrator his ask based on 1 and 2 year deals.

Each party then submits their arguments based on NHL verified statistics (no twitter based stat trackers or website that track outside charts or info are allowed). Overall performance is discussed, durability of the player over the length of the last few years, service time and overall contribution to the team, in some cases both on and off the ice.

They talk about statistical comparables and what their AAV is (only players who are RFA eligible may be used as comparables, so basically only players under 27 or with less than 7 years of service time). At this point it comes down to the club telling the arbitrator how Pionk isn't as good as his numbers might suggest or how he doesn't contribute as much to the team as his camp says he does. Pionk's camp will try to argue that he is better than his numbers might suggest and that the Jets are downplaying his contributions to the team. It gets pretty messy and can cause a divide between club and player.

The arbitrator will come to a decision based on which term the Jets elected for 1 or 2 years, usually it ends up being somewhere between what the Jets offered and what Pionk asked for. If 2 years the Jets do not get walk away rights on both years, only 1 year so long as the AAV of the award is $4,538,958 or more. If the Jets chose 2 years and chose to walk away from 1 year of the award then Pionk becomes a UFA next summer.

If the Jets elected for a 1 year deal. They can either accept it and Pionk remains an RFA next summer at which point this process may happen again or they can walk away from the deal as long as its $4,538,958 or more. If they walk away from a 1 year award Pionk then has 4 days to decide if he wants to take the original offer the Jets submitted to the arbitrator. If he elects not to take that original offer he becomes a UFA after those 4 days and can then discuss contracts with any team in the league, including the Jets if he so wishes.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets in this case but no way they would choose a two year term in this case as it would walk him right to UFA.

I expect a deal will be announced before the hearing.

Yeah I'm guessing they will choose a 1 year term and try and hammer out a deal next summer if they can't get it done before the arb hearing.

Reactions: surixon

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone know how the arb dates are decided? Is it random, arbitrator's schedule or are the most contentious negotiations purposely scheduled last?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad