GDT: NDSF Game 3 | "WinniPepe Silvia" | Oilers @ Jets | May 23 2021, 5:30 PM | CBC, SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
we need to score goals...1 goal in 2 games doesn't win you games
97-29 together gives us our best chance to score a goal

the bottom 9 literally have to keep doing what they're doing...not get scored on
Our bottom 9 tonight is the worst it's looked all season. They will get scored on tonight, the only question is how many times

Reactions: Beerfish

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm okay with giving Kassian another game of rope. He came in cold game 1 so theres at least the chance he can improve. Neal and Chaisson are not going to be any different than what we've seen. I thought they made some nice plays but they never build on it. In hockey a successful possession means a long succession of little wins that results in a shot, o-zone faceoff or god forbid, a goal. To get a string of good moves you need to be able to skate as good as the other team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's not as much of a stretch as putting him on the second line with 2 guys who have had horrible seasons and expecting him not to get wrecked. At least McDavid and Puljujarvi can help McLeod out.

I don't know why I'm mad, I knew this team was 4 forwards short from being real lol

TBH I don't know why McLeod is even up. I wanted to like him, but he's done nothing other than skating up and down the ice, has no hands, and isn't very hard on pucks. Really in NHL playoffs he looks out of his element. Hopefully he does something.

I'm not even mad. Disappointed. But I hope for a different result today.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Not only do oilers need a win, but they need to do it in convincing fashion to shake up there room, there confidence and also the jets

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
TBH I don't know why McLeod is even up. I wanted to like him, but he's done nothing other than skating up and down the ice, has no hands, and isn't very hard on pucks. Really in NHL playoffs he looks out of his element. Hopefully he does something.

I'm not even mad. Disappointed. But I hope for a different result today.
I hope for a different result today too.

Honestly I'm more wondering right now not if we can win the series, but if we can even prevent getting swept.

I don't think the new shaken up lineup will prevent either of those

With Ehlers back too, it's going to be a very rough stressful night

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just get tippets termination papers ready cause he has completely lost the plot once again.

Yeah dammit, its his fault a club with McDrai has scored 1 goal in two playoff games and with the top stars in the league completely left off the scoresheet.

Tippett coaching has resulted in the team only giving up 3 goals, and having a shutout in 2nd game. (except OT) Fire that coach into the sun..

Nah, what Florida is doing is trainwreck. Panthers lost their minds yesterday, blew up their gameplan in the first 3 minutes giving up a breakaway and going down in a must W game. Because guys like Radko Gudas are flaming idiots.

I'd take a team that even tries to be in the hunt in a game over one going down 6-2 in flames.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Honestly I'm more wondering right now not if we can win the series, but if we can even prevent getting swept.

If the Jets feel like they can start pressing more and loosen up, they will get opened up by McDrai more.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah dammit, its his fault a club with McDrai has scored 1 goal in two playoff games and with the top stars in the league completely left off the scoresheet.

Tippett coaching has resulted in the team only giving up 3 goals, and having a shutout in 2nd game. (except OT) Fire that coach into the sun..

Nah, what Florida is doing is trainwreck. Panthers lost their minds yesterday, blew up their gameplan in the first 3 minutes giving up a breakaway and going down in a must W game. Because guys like Radko Gudas are flaming idiots.

I'd take a team that even tries to be in the hunt in a game over one going down 6-2 in flames.
That could very easily happen tonight.

If Tippett liked what he saw and the hard work of the team, there wouldn't be this massive shakeup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Is it confirmed Ehlers is back? Oh well. He's guaranteed to get some things going. Not all bad. Would like a little more animosity in this series. Ehlers is good at that as well as being a good player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is it confirmed Ehlers is back? Oh well. He's guaranteed to get some things going. Not all bad. Would like a little more animosity in this series. Ehlers is good at that as well as being a good player.
Yep.
Hopefully McDrai can find a way to single handedly be our entire offense like they did in the regular season cause that's all we got lol

Reactions: oobga

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesus. Every step forward for Tippett is accompanied by a hundred steps backward.

Ennis, Shore, Haas in; Chiasson and Neal out = good

Nurse with Bear, Kassian in top 6, Yamamoto on 4th line, Koekkoek with Barrie, McDrai loaded up again = badddd

It’s like he can’t get out of his way with these lineup decisions. :facepalm:

Can’t wait for Nurse/Bear to get scored on and KK/Barrie to get trapped in their own zone before Tippett puts Barrie back with Nurse in the second period down 2-0.

What would be your lines and pairings?

I like first line just fine. ;)

I would go with Nurse-Barrie

Larsson-Kulikov

Bear-4K getting weaker minutes.

The other 3 lines, who knows. We're a one line club almost all the time, damned roster, damned nothing TDL.
Theres no prudent moves Tippett can make if players like Nuge, Kassian, Neal, Chiasson, etc are not engaged. We had to have those players dialing in. I mean on a a talent and vet starved roster you can't have that many passengers, and you can't delete all of them.

Reactions: iCanada

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Dropping Yamamoto and elevating Kassian makes zero sense. Kassian is useless.
That can easily be swapped in game. I think Tippett is trying to recapture what he had with the Kassian + McDavid combo... get Kassian with some skill and hope he’s there to help drive the dirty parts of the game. It’s also easy to switch off McLeod and Draisaitl or toss Ennis on McDavid’s line or whatever. Lots of in-game adjustments that can happen now.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Its a simple formula tonight. Mcd and Drai put points on the board plain and simple no excuses - no explanation of how hard they are being checked. Stars need to figure it out and the team wins.

Mike Smith keeps giving us a solid performance is the only other variable I can think of but this is all it boils down to.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its a simple formula tonight. Mcd and Drai put points on the board plain and simple no excuses - no explanation of how hard they are being checked. Stars need to figure it out and the team wins.

Mike Smith keeps giving us a solid performance is the only other variable I can think of but this is all it boils down to.
Smith has to be perfect cause we won't be able to outscore any of his mistakes

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That third line is better than our second line

All Strengths
Copp+Lowry+Appleton = 88 points
Kahun+Nuge+Yamamoto = 71

5v5
Copp - Lowry - Appleton = 63 points

Kahun - RNH - Yamamoto = 42 points

That tells you a lot about the depth of these teams though. Their 3rd line is substantially better than our 2nd line is

The all strengths one heavily biased by Nuge playing on the McPowerplay and we still lose. Lol.

That's a yikes.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Great GDT thread
I’ve got the game PVR’ed. Not sure yet if I’m going to prioritize coming home to watch it live, hopefully we do okay. I have very low expectations for this team right now and I’m generally a pretty positive guy.
I'm not able to watch this game but regardless of what happens, I've expected that this team will in all likelihood be eliminated even if we do win tonight. My wave of raging frustration from the end of last game is done. I just can't force myself to be too emotionally invested anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreDifferentS

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Honestly don't understand what Tipp is supposed to do. People calling for him to get fired because apparently it shouldn't be so hard for this team to score. Have you seen the players we have??? Basically McD and Drai aren't producing so that's Tipp's fault. And him switching up the lines exactly as hf wants it is going to magically produce offense? He has tried more than enough combinations and the results are generally the same. What can he do? There are too many subpar players. You can come up with all the systems you want, but if the players can't execute, that's on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad