Series Talk: Nazzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Naz was suspended twice but look at this lineup. Noone to stand up to anyone except maybe Hainsey

1656348917921.png

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Happy for him for sure but I mean, he just told (essentially) leafs management they can kiss his ass for ever doubting him in the playoffs and labeling him a liablilty.
It wasn't appropriate, but he's a heart and soul guy who loved it here and never wanted to leave. There's obviously some bitterness still lingering towards Leaf management.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree but the common denominator for those trades is Dubas making rash decisions and maybe not seeing players for their potential. Not allowing things to progress a bit. I don’t think there is a right of wrong in this situation. Some people think Dubas was right for trading him and we had to do it, but the end result hasn’t really changed since the trade so you can only blame Kadri so much. Others think we should have kept him but there’s no way to know if he doesn’t continue to be a bit reckless.

Dubas has done a good job but i think something he can take away from this Toronto experience is to give players time. I like Dubas btw.
I wouldn't call trading Kadri after two playoff suspensions in consecutive years rash.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wouldn't call trading Kadri after two playoff suspensions in consecutive years rash.

Fair, that’s your opinion. Personally I think it was the perfect excuse for Management to use and I think a lot of the fanbase bought into it those two years but they still haven’t won shit even with eliminating the “problem”. At some point this management group has to answer for not putting together a group that can win

Reactions: great

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. I agree with trading Kadri at the time.
2. Could Dubas gotten a better deal at that time, I know Kadri had a 10 teams no trade list but there were still 20 other teams.
3. Should Dubas, Babs and Shanny be more patience with Kadri-someone who blocked a trade bc he wanted to stay and showed he could help the team win the Cup, I mean, you look at Keefe and Dubas, it seems they can do no wrong and be here forever.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Fair, that’s your opinion. Personally I think it was the perfect excuse for Management to use and I think a lot of the fanbase bought into it those two years but they still haven’t won shit even with eliminating the “problem”. At some point this management group has to answer for not putting together a group that can win
Why do you think the trade was an excuse? Felt like the team took a strength to address the weak RD.

Reflecting back on the move, it feels like he didnt take a ton of heat all things considered

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I remember the vast majority of Leafs fans wanted Stamkos just as much as they wanted Tavares. And I know Stamkos was interested in Toronto. I remember him liking posts about signing in Toronto while still a member of the Lightning. But Lou had just drafted a franchise center and I think he no longer considered Stamkos a must have and probably thought of him as his 2nd line center. I think Lou lowballed him, in the opinion of Stamkos. I bet that got Stamkos thinking about that warm weather, championship caliber team, and low taxes he would be giving up…. For a lowball offer? No deal.

I read a post from Zeke the other day saying Dubas would have closed this deal. And I happen to agree, Dubas would have paid him crazy money. After all, he’s a better hockey player than Tavares. So count this as one time I wish Dubas would have been in charge. Never thought I would say that.

Reactions: francis246

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why would they be looking for an excuse to trade Kadri, a good player on a bargain contract that they drafted and developed? Seems to me that if anything, they'd be looking for excuses to not trade him.

Not being able to count on Kadri in the playoffs was a problem, it's not like it was "the" problem and we had a perfect team otherwise.

1. I agree with trading Kadri at the time.
2. Could Dubas gotten a better deal at that time, I know Kadri had a 10 teams no trade list but there were still 20 other teams.
3. Should Dubas, Babs and Shanny be more patience with Kadri-someone who blocked a trade bc he wanted to stay and showed he could help the team win the Cup, I mean, you look at Keefe and Dubas, it seems they can do no wrong and be here forever.
1. Me too.
2. Seems logical that there were no better offers, if there were than he would have taken one.
3. Had they "shown patience", kept Kadri then they would have been crucified after his 3rd suspension.

I've said it before, there are a number of things I have criticized Dubas for but trading Kadri isn't one of them.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why do you think the trade was an excuse? Felt like the team took a strength to address the weak RD.

Reflecting back on the move, it feels like he didnt take a ton of heat all things considered

I felt like they were able to blame those two years of not advancing on the fact that Kadri took suspensions that affected their depth. But the reality is they just collapsed in both series. Part of it is true without Kadri it probably did make it harder to win, but it’s not solely on him.

Again I don’t disagree with trading Kadri but what I would say is they could have waited and found more suitors. He was a younger Center on a value contract. His value was lower after the suspension. Let that die down trade him during the season. I have no issues with trading him but it was rushed and the result was they didn’t get a great deal

Why would they be looking for an excuse to trade Kadri, a good player on a bargain contract that they drafted and developed? Seems to me that if anything, they'd be looking for excuses to not trade him.

Not being able to count on Kadri in the playoffs was a problem, it's not like it was "the" problem and we had a perfect team otherwise.

1. Me too.
2. Seems logical that there were no better offers, if there were than he would have taken one.
3. Had they "shown patience", kept Kadri then they would have been crucified after his 3rd suspension.

I've said it before, there are a number of things I have criticized Dubas for but trading Kadri isn't one of them.

The suspensions were the perfect excuse for their first round loss is what I mean. Not sure what your referencing to. Also that was literally the narrative the leafs ran with both summers they lost to boston. If only Kadri didn’t get suspended things would have been different.

They have used every excuse in the book thus far.

We can’t trust Kadri - he was moved, we still lose

We can’t trust Jake Gardiner, he’s a liability - he was moved we still lose

Matthews and Marner need to play more minutes in the playoffs - we give them more ice time we still lose

We don’t have enough grit - players with grit brought in we still lose

We need a better d core - Brodie, Gio, Muzzin, Boosh brought in we still lose

Babcock can’t get the best out of this team - Keefe is brought in we still lose

We have the hardest Matchups in the first round - by a miracle get Columbus and Montreal and we still lose.

Freddy isn’t a playoff performer - we bring in Campbell, we still lose.

When will they just say you know what we have not done a good enough job here. There’s zero accountability from Management right down to the players. It’s so sad

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

1. Me too.

I think the Kadri move was the right move at that time.
All these are just hindsight speaking.
But Dubas needs to learn from this Kadri trade. Like don't trade in a rush, esp when dealing with the best player in that package, which I thought he would have learned that lesson from the Phil trade. Hopefully he learned this lesson by now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I felt like they were able to blame those two years of not advancing on the fact that Kadri took suspensions that affected their depth. But the reality is they just collapsed in both series. Part of it is true without Kadri it probably did make it harder to win, but it’s not solely on him.

Again I don’t disagree with trading Kadri but what I would say is they could have waited and found more suitors. He was a younger Center on a value contract. His value was lower after the suspension. Let that die down trade him during the season. I have no issues with trading him but it was rushed and the result was they didn’t get a great deal

The suspensions were the perfect excuse for their first round loss is what I mean. Not sure what your referencing to. Also that was literally the narrative the leafs ran with both summers they lost to boston. If only Kadri didn’t get suspended things would have been different.

They have used every excuse in the book thus far.

We can’t trust Kadri - he was moved, we still lose

We can’t trust Jake Gardiner, he’s a liability - he was moved we still lose

Matthews and Marner need to play more minutes in the playoffs - we give them more ice time we still lose

We don’t have enough grit - players with grit brought in we still lose

We need a better d core - Brodie, Gio, Muzzin, Boosh brought in we still lose

Babcock can’t get the best out of this team - Keefe is brought in we still lose

We have the hardest Matchups in the first round - by a miracle get Columbus and Montreal and we still lose.

Freddy isn’t a playoff performer - we bring in Campbell, we still lose.

When will they just say you know what we have not done a good enough job here. There’s zero accountability from Management right down to the players. It’s so sad
I think their next excuse will be we didn't have Vas or Makar or Mack or Kuch or or Hedman or else the Leafs would have won the Cup.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Most players who stick up for their teammates seem to be able to do it without getting suspended. It's too bad Kadri's a hothead but that's the way it is.

If 99% of Leaf fans weren't jumping for joy when Tavares chose to sign with us, I could consider criticizing Dubas for the Tavares signing. As is is though, I just can't do it. And remember, Kadri was still here when we signed JT and had he not gotten suspended again, we might have beaten Boston and then he probably doesn't get traded. He did it to himself, there's no two ways about it.

That's because the refs, the NHL and Dops are biased and against the Leafs. We've still got a large section of the fanbase whining and crying about the refs every night and Kadri hasn't been near this team for 3 years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
But Dubas needs to learn from this Kadri trade. Like don't trade in a rush, esp when dealing with the best player in that package, which I thought he would have learned that lesson from the Phil trade. Hopefully he learned this lesson by now.

I think the lesson is don’t settle for plan B because that’s what plan B was.

Should be the lesson for moving Nylander, if they choose. Sakic held a high price on Duchene after flopping on the ROR trade, and it makes as pivotal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The suspensions were the perfect excuse for their first round loss is what I mean. Not sure what your referencing to.
Yeah you're right, they collapsed both times and Kadri probably wouldn't have made a difference. But ... with Kadri, maybe they win it before it goes to game 7, no way to know for sure. I guess you could argue it both ways. On one hand, both series were so close, if a fine player like Kadri wouldn't move the needle even that little bit to put us over the top against Boston in either of those two years, then losing him can't be a big deal either. On the other hand, maybe we're just cursed and were doomed to lose no matter what, who knows.

Wait for more suitors - yeah fair point, that might have been better. I could understand wanting to get it done in the off-season, start the new season fresh and so on but I can see the case for waiting too.

I thought you meant they were looking for an excuse to trade him, never mind.

You mean Phil Kessel? I thought we got a pretty good return there and more to the point, Lou was in charge at the time.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This place makes it hard to root for players once the leave the blue and white.

Loved Naz more than anyone while he was here. The same names blasting Dubas for trading him, we’re the same ones begging for him to be shipped out.

Congrats Naz, we’ll earned Cup!

A lot of people are also ignoring his 2 very mediocre years in Colorado prior to this career year at 31 years old

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah you're right, they collapsed both times and Kadri probably wouldn't have made a difference. But ... with Kadri, maybe they win it before it goes to game 7, no way to know for sure. I guess you could argue it both ways. On one hand, both series were so close, if a fine player like Kadri wouldn't move the needle even that little bit to put us over the top against Boston in either of those two years, then losing him can't be a big deal either. On the other hand, maybe we're just cursed and were doomed to lose no matter what, who knows.

Wait for more suitors - yeah fair point, that might have been better. I could understand wanting to get it done in the off-season, start the new season fresh and so on but I can see the case for waiting too.

You mean Phil Kessel? I thought we got a pretty good return there and more to the point, Lou was in charge at the time.

Agreed! It’s hard to know, the Kadri suspension didn’t help the situation at all. It’s just shitty all around. All things consider I understand the want to move him, I just wish they were a little more patient, maybe a better deal comes up. But I understand them wanting to rid themselves of the disappointment.

And Dubas handled the Kessel trade right before Lou came!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Lou was hired after the Phil deal. And it was only a good return thanks to Lou using those pieces to trade for more like turning the Spaling and the 1st to Freddie(Spaling was traded for a 2nd), and Harrington into Rychel and then Lou trading Rychel as part of the deal to bring in Turtleneck.
If Lou didn't made those deals and Leafs didnt win the lottery the following year. The deal would have been PLD, or Laine or Poolparty at the draft, Sam Steel(if Leafs drafted him like Ducks did) and Kap. While Leafs also retaining 1.2mil till now and Pens winning two Cups plus whatever they got from trading Phil to the Yokes.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Lou was hired after the Phil deal. And it was only a good return thanks to Lou using those pieces to trade for more like turning the Spaling and the 1st to Freddie(Spaling was traded for a 2nd), and Harrington into Rychel and then Lou trading Rychel as part of the deal to bring in Turtleneck.
If Lou didn't made those deals and Leafs didnt win the lottery the following year. The deal would have been PLD, or Laine or Poolparty at the draft, Sam Steel(if Leafs drafted him like Ducks did) and Kap. While Leafs also retaining 1.2mil till now and Pens winning two Cups plus whatever they got from trading Phil to the Yokes.

This was the most criticizing post based entirely on a pessimistic hypothetical reality

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
2019 is the series he cost us. He and Nylander

People forget now since 88 has been great but 88 in 2019 was horrific. He sucked in the playoffs. Had 1 pt in final 5 games when Kadri wasn't there

Those two let the team down in 2019. Nylander was younger and didn't have suspension issues so he was kept and Kadri dealt

2018 he was back in games 6 and 7. We were outclassed by Boston in 201i and should've lost in 5 or 6.

2018 hurt becuase we were up 4-3 I the third period of game 7 then imploded similar to 2014 just on a lower scale
Never forget the contributions of Jake the pizza man Gardiner

Happy for him.

But man it's like every former leaf is winning.

Kessel followed by Bozak followed by Schenn, now Kadri.
Don't forget Gunarsson

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I remember the vast majority of Leafs fans wanted Stamkos just as much as they wanted Tavares. And I know Stamkos was interested in Toronto. I remember him liking posts about signing in Toronto while still a member of the Lightning. But Lou had just drafted a franchise center and I think he no longer considered Stamkos a must have and probably thought of him as his 2nd line center. I think Lou lowballed him, in the opinion of Stamkos. I bet that got Stamkos thinking about that warm weather, championship caliber team, and low taxes he would be giving up…. For a lowball offer? No deal.

I read a post from Zeke the other day saying Dubas would have closed this deal. And I happen to agree, Dubas would have paid him crazy money. After all, he’s a better hockey player than Tavares. So count this as one time I wish Dubas would have been in charge. Never thought I would say that.
Stamkos wasn't leaving T-Bay , it was widely rumored he only met with Toronto in an attempt to get a better offer out of the Bolts. Yzerman knew this and held firm which led to his other stars taking reasonable deals .

We just finished dead last and Tampa was a contender , no way he was leaving to come to Toronto . Had the Islanders been a contender and we had just finished dead last when JT came up he wouldn't signed with us either .

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Good on Kadri. He was a Maple Leaf through and through.His maturity in Colorado shows that with a competent GM and coach he could be controlled. For all of those who said he had to be traded, Kadri said it best last night.
And that's who he was directing his comments at, not just management, but pretty much the entirety of LeaFlanders and their mostly hot immature takes

I can't wait for the Leafs to win it all and MM winning the Conny over AM

man there's going to be some butthurt vitriol spewed about that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad