Series Talk: Nazzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does everyone just ignore his suspension in Colorado because it doesn't fit what he said last night? He has been suspended in 3 of the last 5 playoffs.

He also ran a goalie that led to injury this year, accidental, maybe, but he ends up in a lot of questionable situations and 3 have led to suspensions.

Happy for the guy, but he is continuing to make questionable plays.
Can you imagine this place had Dubas not traded him when he got suspended for the 3rd time in the playoffs? I'd bet a ton that the same people complaining today would have been all over Dubas, for not getting whatever we could for Kadri before he went and did it again.

Had Kadri been able to control his emotions, we may well have won both playoff series against Boston but he couldn't do it, and losing a key player for almost the entire series proved to be too much of a handicap for us to overcome. He arguably cost us both those series and the fact that people here are now deifying him only shows how irrational some people can be.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
This franchise has a tendency to just punish players over mistakes. They do it to the physical players especially.

Simmonds took 1 stupid penalty in game 2 and it was over for him. Maroon and Perry took dumb penalties all throughout the playoffs and Tampa kept going back to them

Kadri's undeserved suspensions were apparently enough to trade one of our only players who showed any heart
Perry was also the 6th attacker last night. He played a huge role in their success. It’s no fluke our best game was game 1.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
His suspension last year discredits this point.

Kadri is accountable for his own actions, full stop. He’s been suspended enough throughout his career to not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe Boston will trade Marchand after licking Leo in the playoffs. He has done it so many times he shouldn’t be given the benifit of the doubt.

Can you imagine this place had Dubas not traded him when he got suspended for the 3rd time in the playoffs? I'd bet a ton that the same people complaining today would have been all over Dubas, for not getting whatever we could for Kadri before he went and did it again.

Had Kadri been able to control his emotions, we may well have won both playoff series against Boston but he couldn't do it, and losing a key player for almost the entire series proved to be too much of a handicap for us to overcome. He arguably cost us both those series and the fact that people here are now deifying him only shows how irrational some people can be.
Had Dubas brought in grit to fill the teeth in on Debrusk x2 maybe Kadri wouldn’t have had to stick up for his teammates.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe Boston will trade Marchand after licking Leo in the playoffs. He has done it so many times he shouldn’t be give. The benifit of the doubt.

Had Dubas brought in grit to fill the teeth in on Debrusk x2 maybe Kadri wouldn’t have had to stick up for his teammates.

He did and they would have if Debrusk was in the press box.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Does everyone just ignore his suspension in Colorado because it doesn't fit what he said last night? He has been suspended in 3 of the last 5 playoffs.

He also ran a goalie that led to injury this year, accidental, maybe, but he ends up in a lot of questionable situations and 3 have led to suspensions.

The only thing questionable about the 3rd suspension was the length. It wasn’t as malicious as the two in Toronto, he got suspended off reputation for that one. What was he supposed to do let the guy walk into the slot? He missed time the hit but he wasn’t trying to go for the head.

Secondly he didn’t run the goalie, it’s a loose puck and he was pushed into binnington. Binnington throwing a water bottle at him is the biggest bitch move I’ve ever seen in pro sports.

Kadri is the exact player you need to win. Washington had a carbon copy in Wilson, Boston had theirs in Marchand and Lucic, many other teams had their guys too. Like it or not if you wanna play “clean” chances are you’re not going to win. You have to be okay with playing a little bit on the line to give yourself an advantage. So save us all the morality act, no one gives a shit lmao

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
This franchise has a tendency to just punish players over mistakes. They do it to the physical players especially.

Simmonds took 1 stupid penalty in game 2 and it was over for him. Maroon and Perry took dumb penalties all throughout the playoffs and Tampa kept going back to them

Kadri's undeserved suspensions were apparently enough to trade one of our only players who showed any heart
Yep, Dubas would never want a Kadri, Wilson, Kane, Marchant, Perry, etc. He would rather have a team filled with fancy skating pretty boys who have all their teeth and have never whacked an opponent. The key to success is to have a good mix of tough guys and fancy Dans. Dubas only believes in the later. And that is why the Leafs will never advance further than they already have.

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

IMO this years "accident" should have been suspension worthy and I am 100% sure if he did that while playing for us...it would have been. He was thrown under the bus while playing for us by the team and the league...but at the same time this whole redemption and love for Kadri being a misunderstood lovable kid is a bit much. He can't control himself at times and this leads to suspensions (not all of them should have been long ones). It bothers me that he all of a sudden was just misunderstood. He is the same player he was for us...just a different jersey.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

The Tavares mistake, the bigger of the 2, was really made before the Kadri mistake. Relegating Kadri to 3rd line center to make room for Tavares was never a good idea. If you can't see how painful it is to watch a superior 2nd line center outplay your current player at less than half the cost, well... And Dubas was the mastermind.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I’m gonna say he cost us 1 series. Babcock cost us the other by not playing Matthews, Nylander and Marner more and playing Marleau more minutes than he should have and overplaying a handicapped Zach Hyman (the fact he played an entire series on a torn ACL is incredible) more than he should have over Connor Brown or Kapanen.

I might be in the minority but I loved Kadri, didn’t care that he got suspended, loved that he played hard and stuck up for his teammates. Shit happens but I would have loved to see him get another year or two in Toronto. Glad he got his cup.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Maybe Boston will trade Marchand after licking Leo in the playoffs. He has done it so many times he shouldn’t be give. The benifit of the doubt.

In fairness to Dubas...this was Babs 100%. He is the one who barely played Matt Martin and kept saying our PP would be our enforcer while at the same time amping up Kadri saying he is a "greasy player" and making him feel like he had to do the enforcing. Babs and Shanny had the same vision and that led us to have Simmonds instead of maybe a Marchment in our lineup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’m gonna say he cost us 1 series. Babcock cost us the other by not playing Matthews, Nylander and Marner more and playing Marleau more minutes than he should have and overplaying a handicapped Zach Hyman (the fact he played an entire series on a torn ACL is incredible) more than he should have over Connor Brown or Kapanen.

I might be in the minority but I loved Kadri, didn’t care that he got suspended, loved that he played hard and stuck up for his teammates. Shit happens but I would have loved to see him get another year or two in Toronto. Glad he got his cup.
2019 is the series he cost us. He and Nylander

People forget now since 88 has been great but 88 in 2019 was horrific. He sucked in the playoffs. Had 1 pt in final 5 games when Kadri wasn't there

Those two let the team down in 2019. Nylander was younger and didn't have suspension issues so he was kept and Kadri dealt

2018 he was back in games 6 and 7. We were outclassed by Boston in 201i and should've lost in 5 or 6.

2018 hurt becuase we were up 4-3 I the third period of game 7 then imploded similar to 2014 just on a lower scale

Reactions: francis246

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Same will happen to Nylander if he’s traded
I've no doubt that Willie will wear a few other colors before his NHL career is over, and he may even land somewhere where it all comes together and his team wins the last game of the season, but there will be all kinds of difference between he and Naz as to the importance and competitive nature of their contributions to the ultimate win.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Trading Kadri was never the issue, the underwhelming return on the trade was the problem.

Good for him performing and winning a cup, but truth is he was a liability. 3 playoff suspensions is as unreliable as you’re going to find. That label was warranted.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Congrats to Naz .. well deserved .. big time players make big time plays in big time games .. game 4 OT winner in SC about as big as they get .. although comment directed to Shanny was a bit of a low blow .. but those kinda guys who play with an edge are like that and every team needs a couple of them to win Cups .. a bunch of nice guys rarely win anything

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most players who stick up for their teammates seem to be able to do it without getting suspended. It's too bad Kadri's a hothead but that's the way it is.

The Tavares mistake, the bigger of the 2, was really made before the Kadri mistake. Relegating Kadri to 3rd line center to make room for Tavares was never a good idea. If you can't see how painful it is to watch a superior 2nd line center outplay your current player at less than half the cost, well... And Dubas was the mastermind.
If 99% of Leaf fans weren't jumping for joy when Tavares chose to sign with us, I could consider criticizing Dubas for the Tavares signing. As is is though, I just can't do it. And remember, Kadri was still here when we signed JT and had he not gotten suspended again, we might have beaten Boston and then he probably doesn't get traded. He did it to himself, there's no two ways about it.

I think there's several things you could point to whenever you lose and Kadri was a big part of why we lost both those series against Boston is what I would say. Maybe not "the reason", but right near the top of the list of reasons both times. He was my favourite player but after getting suspended twice, I had no problem trading him. Two years in a row, his inability to control his emotions left us with a huge hole in our lineup in the playoffs and keeping him would have been very risky. It's funny, after the 1st time people were saying no way he'll do it again, he's learned his lesson. Then he went and did it again. After the 2nd time, there were still a few people saying he's learned his lesson (though not many), then he went and did it again with Colorado and at that point, almost nobody was complaining that we traded him. Now everyone's changed their mind and the new narrative isn't that Kadri can't control his temper, it's that Dubas is an idiot. Whichever way the wind blows, there goes Leaf nation. :laugh::laugh:

There are a number of decisions Dubas has made that are questionable, trading Kadri isn't one of them. But we're at the point where no matter what happens in the NHL, people will spin it into a way to shit on our GM. I guess it's understandable that after so many 1st round losses some people lose the ability to think rationally, I guess I underestimated just how many people fell into that category.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Dubas is a dink, sorry, but he did the right thing by trading Naz at the time. But the return sucked, Barrie wasn't what we needed. So he is still a fool.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas is a dink, sorry, but he did the right thing by trading Naz at the time. But the return sucked, Barrie wasn't what we needed. So he is still a fool.
I guess you've forgotten that we got a lot more in the deal than Barrie, plus when Barrie left we used the cap space to sign Brodie. Brodie's been a helluva player for us too and he's a player we've been able to count on in the playoffs.

Dink, fool ... good talk. :)

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I think most of us would sell our souls to win the Cup. Putting up with Kadri is a small price to pay. Seems to me those anti-Kadri posters are just looking for yet another reason to justify Dubas' ineptitude.
Revisionist bullshit.

Kadri needed to prove to Kadri that he was no longer a liability in the playoffs. At the time he wore blue and white, he was. And there was no indication that he could get his emotions in check and we needed help on defense.

At the time, the deal made sense. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Kadri did get suspended yet again in his stint with Colorado...what? Last season?

If someone steals and you call them a thief, that's what they are and what they did at the time. If they STOP stealing, they can't declare "see! I am not a thief!"

That's not how reality works.

And I say that being very happy that Kadri got over himself and succeeded and won the cup. But none of this changes how he was HERE at a time when we needed him.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Most players who stick up for their teammates seem to be able to do it without getting suspended. It's too bad Kadri's a hothead but that's the way it is.

If 99% of Leaf fans weren't jumping for joy when Tavares chose to sign with us, I could consider criticizing Dubas for the Tavares signing. As is is though, I just can't do it. And remember, Kadri was still here when we signed JT and had he not gotten suspended again, we might have beaten Boston and then he probably doesn't get traded. He did it to himself, there's no two ways about it.

I think there's several things you could point to whenever you lose and Kadri was a big part of why we lost both those series against Boston is what I would say. Maybe not "the reason", but right near the top of the list of reasons both times. He was my favourite player but after getting suspended twice, I had no problem trading him. Two years in a row, his inability to control his emotions left us with a huge hole in our lineup in the playoffs and keeping him would have been very risky. It's funny, after the 1st time people were saying no way he'll do it again, he's learned his lesson. Then he went and did it again. After the 2nd time, there were still a few people saying he's learned his lesson (though not many), then he went and did it again with Colorado and at that point, almost nobody was complaining that we traded him. Now everyone's changed their mind and the new narrative isn't that Kadri can't control his temper, it's that Dubas is an idiot. Whichever way the wind blows, there goes Leaf nation. :laugh::laugh:

There are a number of decisions Dubas has made that are questionable, trading Kadri isn't one of them. But we're at the point where no matter what happens in the NHL, people will spin it into a way to shit on our GM. I guess it's understandable that after so many 1st round losses some people lose the ability to think rationally, I guess I underestimated just how many people fell into that category.
Dubas gets paid the big bucks to make the right decisions and he has made very few of them. The talent he has been riding was acquired before his reign of terror started and he has been bleeding picks with little to show for it since. He improved the defense, so I'll give him credit for that. Can you think of another player who is as awful a skater as John Tavares that you would be willing to give an $11 million contract to? Skating is a fundamental part of the game.

Reactions: hotpaws

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
So happy for Naz. Well deserved.

Always loved his compete level on the ice. He never left you wondering how much it meant to him. As painful as it was to see him lift a cup in another jersey, I truly am stoked for him. He never wanted to be anywhere but Toronto, and he showed up every game wearing his heart on his sleeve.

People always seem to forget in Naz's last game as a Leaf he was the only damn player to show up for the buds that game before getting the boot. I was never really in favor of getting rid of that passion TBH. Ya sure, he played a bit recklass at the wrong times occasionally, but he never took a game off. I'd much rather that passion and intensity over the enigmatic off and on passion we've seen over the last 6 seasons.

Congtrats Naz, you have earned every bit of the success you've got in your career. The haters can most certainly kiss your ass

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I'm wondering would Kadri take a hometown discount, and all is forgiven? 🤔 Maybe Dubas might need to kiss his aas first, to get the deal done. Go ahead Dubas, your best shot for a cup, heart and soul player. Who else do you have? I thought so, I can't think of one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad