Series Talk: Nazzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
all of them. who won. [which, congrats to them], won playing on teams where they were placed in their ideal situation. Dion wasn't captain and first pair D for Ottawa. Bozak wasn't 1st line centre. Kessel was not the first line winger and the star of the show. and it seems that Kadri rightly got the kick in the pants he needed after being traded and was connecting with his line.

They weren't the stars, they weren't the main horses, they were where they needed to to be, playing the roles the should have, probably for the most part being paid normal amounts of money (those who signed in UFA). and I am only speaking for myself. Again, I think Kessel has a very short shelf life with teams. See Boston, see here, see Pittsburgh. my isssue with him was never about his playoff performances. I personally didn't want bozak to go but we couldn't afford him, and Naz was a flipping dipstick in both playoff runs and I personally don't blame management after they talked to him and promising he learned his lesson to take the same kind of penalty, in the same freaking corner basically around the same time as the last one, being extremely apprehensive about him being on the team. [not. as people love lament. "the team is marshallmallowy soft, etc etc." but whatever].

let's not pretend that if they all stayed here together, we were winning it all.

Toronto is as "insufferable" to play in as other major markets with a big historic past, and I would say as insufferable as Toronto is, it's still easier than a lot of the other markets because at the end of the day it's all hot noise. most of the "pressure" goes away if someone makes a big hit here. the pressure isn't even to win a cup here anymore, it's just to win a playoff series. you think that would fly in New York, or Boston, or Philadelphia or England for any of the soccer clubs?

at any rate. congrats to Naz for winning. I am sincerely glad he did, and that more importantly got his poop together and played extremely well.

Well said Daisy.

Guys like Larry Murphy, Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak (but maybe not Nazem Kadri) all had to go somewhere else and slotted lower on the pecking order to win a cup. Hell, even Luke Schenn went somewhere and won some cups. Doesn't mean it was wrong that Toronto gave up on them, or that when you give up on a player they can't achieve big things in their career somewhere else.

That said, I think the biggest problem with Larry Murphy and Nazem Kadri being traded is more of an issue of what we got back, and the fact that management made a change for the sake of change. I'm happy to see Naz have success, but he was also a bit of a problem child when he was here. He was our guy and we could have stuck with him, or not. And at the end of the day we didn't get the right value and return back to help us win a cup. Bottom line, that's the only issue for me.

Reactions: francis246

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is a very well written article. The dude did not even feel the cup when he lifted it because he had his thumb frozen to avoid pain. What a warrior.

Give it a read if you have a chance

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I said that you can't pinpoint one reason we lost so Kadri isn't "the" reason. It makes more sense to say that there were a number of reasons and in those two cases, Kadri was near the top of the list. Did you miss that, or did you just not understand it? Is it clear now?

As far as losing JT goes, my personal opinion is that of course losing him hurt and of course you could argue that we probably beat MTL if he doesn't get hurt but we were such huge favourites against MTL that we should have beat them anyway. That certainly wasn't the case against Boston, we were dogs both times. And anyway JT didn't lose his cool and get suspended so that's a whole other story anyway.
Cmon Gary you're well aware that the narrative that hung around LeaFland like a bad smell was to lay the series loss at Kadris feet, suspension and absence. It was a steady din that, even after the trade, and even right up till today still hasn't fallen silent.

No need getting snarky man we're just having a discussion here.

Cheers

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cmon Gary you're well aware that the narrative that hung around LeaFland like a bad smell was to lay the series loss at Kadris feet, suspension and absence. It was a steady din that, even after the trade, and even right up till today still hasn't fallen silent.

No need getting snarky man we're just having a discussion here.

Cheers
I've clearly stated my opinion twice for you now, here it is again.

I said that you can't pinpoint one reason we lost so Kadri isn't "the" reason. It makes more sense to say that there were a number of reasons and in those two cases, Kadri was near the top of the list. Did you miss that, or did you just not understand it? Is it clear now?

Just to be clear, that's my opinion and whether or not it agrees with whatever your perception is of "the narrative", isn't relevant here.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Racer88

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
all of them. who won. [which, congrats to them], won playing on teams where they were placed in their ideal situation. Dion wasn't captain and first pair D for Ottawa. Bozak wasn't 1st line centre. Kessel was not the first line winger and the star of the show. and it seems that Kadri rightly got the kick in the pants he needed after being traded and was connecting with his line.

They weren't the stars, they weren't the main horses, they were where they needed to to be, playing the roles the should have, probably for the most part being paid normal amounts of money (those who signed in UFA). and I am only speaking for myself. Again, I think Kessel has a very short shelf life with teams. See Boston, see here, see Pittsburgh. my isssue with him was never about his playoff performances. I personally didn't want bozak to go but we couldn't afford him, and Naz was a flipping dipstick in both playoff runs and I personally don't blame management after they talked to him and promising he learned his lesson to take the same kind of penalty, in the same freaking corner basically around the same time as the last one, being extremely apprehensive about him being on the team. [not. as people love lament. "the team is marshallmallowy soft, etc etc." but whatever].

let's not pretend that if they all stayed here together, we were winning it all.

Toronto is as "insufferable" to play in as other major markets with a big historic past, and I would say as insufferable as Toronto is, it's still easier than a lot of the other markets because at the end of the day it's all hot noise. most of the "pressure" goes away if someone makes a big hit here. the pressure isn't even to win a cup here anymore, it's just to win a playoff series. you think that would fly in New York, or Boston, or Philadelphia or England for any of the soccer clubs?

at any rate. congrats to Naz for winning. I am sincerely glad he did, and that more importantly got his poop together and played extremely well.

Post of the summer. The rest of us wont compete with this :handclap:

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He has one good season to make people forget his whole frustrating history and Leafs twitter is back kissing his ass for no apparent reason.
That one good season helped his team win a cup……..I would take that all day long over what we have

Reactions: therealkoho

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So we shouldn't care about Tiger Williams who was long gone, or Lanny, or Darryl, or Tim, or Wendel or even G Nyland...
You can care about whoever you like of course. It just seems strange to me to start a thread about the guy when he's been gone for years because he does something for another team. Then again, it is summer time, free agency hasn't started yet so there's not much to discuss so not a huge deal. JMHO.

I'm not sure who G Nyland is, I'll assume that you just misspelt Nylund.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
That one good season helped his team win a cup……..I would take that all day long over what we have
Can you believe us Leafs fans? He's only had one good season and won one cup. He's only good every other playoffs is another one I read.

LMFAO.

Reactions: ToneDog

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I see this whole turn of events as just another notch in the embarrassment ledger for Toronto. Good on you Naz for shoving it down our throats
It's equally funny (because of his sheer arrogance) and tragically sad (because we are the ones who suffer yet again) than 90% of Kyle's decisions blow up in his face.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I just read what Kadri actually said for the first time:

“For everyone that thought I was a liability in the playoffs you can kiss my ass.”

I was always a fan but my opinion of him went down a notch after this. You got suspended 3 times in the playoffs FFS which pretty clearly makes you a liability. This year you avoided suspension and played well, but the fact that you made a meaningful contribution this time around doesn't change the fact that your inability to control your emotions has hurt your teams in the past.

You won, good for you. It's too bad that instead of behaving like a class act, you went down the arrogant d-bag road but whatever, it's your image so you're obviously free to do whatever you like. Or perhaps you still can't control your emotions?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

“For everyone that thought I was a liability in the playoffs you can kiss my ass.”

I was always a fan but my opinion of him went down a notch after this. You got suspended 3 times in the playoffs FFS which pretty clearly makes you a liability. This year you avoided suspension and played well, but the fact that you made a meaningful contribution this time around doesn't change the fact that your inability to control your emotions has hurt your teams in the past.

You won, good for you. It's too bad that instead of behaving like a class act, you went down the arrogant d-bag road but whatever, it's your image so you're obviously free to do whatever you like. Or perhaps you still can't control your emotions?
He's gone. You shouldn't care.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's equally funny (because of his sheer arrogance) and tragically sad (because we are the ones who suffer yet again) than 90% of Kyle's decisions blow up in his face.
It is amazing how we Leafs fans continually have former decisions blow up in our faces.

Even now, another small humbling moment for apologists, we didn’t lose to the cup winners in the first round, we lost to the team that was clearly no match for the cup winners in the final.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

I don't think you have to be Sigmund Freud to see just how much Kadri loved being a Maple Leaf and how sad he is that he is no longer here. That was evident from his post Cup comment. That doesn't excuse his behavior but not all athletes are stable, From my perspective, their instability is what makes them great. Now the title that Dubas and Sakic both have is that of General Manager, That means you have to manage the team. I would be pretty certain that after Kadri had another bonehead suspension with Colorado that Sakic did what it took to straighten him out. Whether he read him the riot act or sent him to therapy does not matter. It worked! Kadri was able to control those urges without dampening his enthusiasm. As has been stated here, you need guys like Kadri, Wilson, Kane, and Perry and you cannot castrate them. Don't know what Sakic did but whatever he did, Dubas was incapable of doing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think you have to be Sigmund Freud to see just how much Kadri loved being a Maple Leaf and how sad he is that he is no longer here. That was evident from his post Cup comment. That doesn't excuse his behavior but not all athletes are stable, From my perspective, their instability is what makes them great. Now the title that Dubas and Sakic both have is that of General Manager, That means you have to manage the team. I would be pretty certain that after Kadri had another bonehead suspension with Colorado that Sakic did what it took to straighten him out. Whether he read him the riot act or sent him to therapy does not matter. It worked! Kadri was able to control those urges without dampening his enthusiasm. As has been stated here, you need guys like Kadri, Wilson, Kane, and Perry and you cannot castrate them. Don't know what Sakic did but whatever he did, Dubas was incapable of doing.

I could name a bunch of players that were great without the word instability coming to mind, Gretzky being the prime example.

As far as Sakic straightening him out, I don't know about that. Considering Kadri's history, you'd think that if Joe thought he could "straighten him out", he would have done it right away. But no, Kadri went and got suspended in the playoffs for a third time.

Kadri loved being a Maple Leaf, sure I loved him when he was here too. When he got suspended two years in the playoffs though, that was another story. I was watching the rest of the team play the best they could but falling short against Boston, wishing Kadri was able to control him emotions better and ended up wondering if having Kadri on the ice would have been enough for us to win the series.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

It’s funny because he only narrowly dodged a suspension again…

To be fair, he was injured soon after so his absence is equivalent to if he had been suspended.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It is amazing how we Leafs fans continually have former decisions blow up in our faces.

Even now, another small humbling moment for apologists, we didn’t lose to the cup winners in the first round, we lost to the team that was clearly no match for the cup winners in the final.

It only seems that way because of how far Leaf fans are willing to dig and bring up the past.

Where arent Sens fans talking about the Duchene trade? That deal made up 1/3 of their D core.

Why aren’t the Islanders fans talking about Devon Toews?

Why aren’t Stars fans talking about how they bought-out Nischushkin?

Why aren’t the Devils, Flyers and Stars talking about how they missed on Makar?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I could name a bunch of players that were great without the word instability coming to mind, Gretzky being the prime example.

As far as Sakic straightening him out, I don't know about that. Considering Kadri's history, you'd think that if Joe thought he could "straighten him out", he would have done it right away. But no, Kadri went and got suspended in the playoffs for a third time.

Kadri loved being a Maple Leaf, sure I loved him when he was here too. When he got suspended two years in the playoffs though, that was another story. I was watching the rest of the team play the best they could but falling short against Boston, wishing Kadri was able to control him emotions better and ended up wondering if having Kadri on the ice would have been enough for us to win the series.
We love him when he was here? As I recall there was a strong contingent of kadri haters the entire time he played for the Leafs.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it's all spilled milk at this point. He's long gone. Regardless, he's exactly the kind of player who the least could use to potentially get to the cup.
Scores big goals, tough as nails, great offensive sense, now an elite defensive Center as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad