Rumor: Nazem Kadri still wants $9M

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
so Kadri has one tremendous season, on a team that wins the Stanley Cup, at 31 years old, and we're all the sudden supposed to believe he turned into an elite player? After watching his career the prior ~10 years or so?

Before the 21-22 season, Kadri was a ~52 point per 82 game player.
This season was kinda weird. Kreider scored 50 goals but I don't think he's a 50 goal scorer. Kinda a similar situation to Kadri and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the guys who tore it up this year revert back to some reasonable mean.

Kadri is still a really valuable player, but i'm not convinced he's a 90 point center.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This season was kinda weird. Kreider scored 50 goals but I don't think he's a 50 goal scorer. Kinda a similar situation to Kadri and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the guys who tore it up this year revert back to some reasonable mean.

Kadri is still a really valuable player, but i'm not convinced he's a 90 point center.
He's not. The odds are strongly in favour of his last season being an aberration. History proves he's a 50-60 point center. At his age, he's not worth much more than $7M x 4 years... and only that because he's a UFA and there will always be one desperate GM willing to over pay in order to try to save his job.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Stacked team or not, production wise Kadri was pretty close to MacKinnon in 21/22. Those are truly elite numbers, albeit it's just 1 year.

The problem is mostly the age. Teams would tripping over each other offering him 9M+ if he was 28. I really can't imagine anyone sober arguing Kadri isn't worth 9M in 22/23. The question is how much he will be worth in 29/30, that's the rub. Value of Kadri in his late 30s is likely to be very different from what it is in 22/23.

There is always a hope for some truly desperate GM to jump in with crazy money, but realistically, there is just no cap left out there. Only a handful of teams left that have the budget AND the cap. If there is truly a 7M x 7 offer from the Isles, the only reason he should not take it is if he is waiting for something similar from a team he likes better.
I don't think he's worth $9m. He's never had a season aside from this past one where a player of that calibre is worth even remotely close to $9m.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For what Kadri did last year he shouldn’t take anything less than 8M. Showed to be capable of producing like a 1C when the team needs him to step up. Showed he was able to be clutch in the playoffs when it matters most.

Pay the man. Lou or Joe.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
For what Kadri did last year he shouldn’t take anything less than 8M. Showed to be capable of producing like a 1C when the team needs him to step up. Showed he was able to be clutch in the playoffs when it matters most.

Pay the man. Lou or Joe.

IMO Kadri significantly benefited with having Makar bombs from the point with either shot going in or available for rebounds where someone bangs it in. I wonder how many points Kadri got just because he won a face-off and Makar put the puck on net.

On another team how many Makars are there to help out Kadri's production?

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Today is the 31st day of Unrestricted Free Agency.
Despite having followed the NHL to some extent for soon 30 years I haven't been following the off-season that intently until now.
When do these things normally tend to wrap up, unless you have a Nylander-case?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Its just seems their are 100's of player's still in need of contract. So will all these contracts come down to late September?

So how does all those player's still needing jobs find a place? Take less money? Just so disappointed as a fan of nhl how everything seems completely dead

Which players still need contracts that is so surprising?

Kadri is simply pricing himself out. Teams are wise to not pay him 9M AAV after ONE season where he showed he could be worth it.

He's gonna he 32 in October, the contract is obviously not gonna be worth it

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
& no team should pay him 8 with term.
I'm a Kadri fan and think your both right , 7 years is too much term but the number has to be at least in the eights for the AAV , maybe he makes in the 9's or even 10 for one or more of the early years , something like 8,10,10, 8, 6 =8.4 AAV and takes him to 37 yrs old which is probably the end of his productive years . I can even see an extra million to the first and last years which makes it 8.8 AAV but thats probably the limit . He wants to finish his career in the century club but I doubt it happens he puts up top 5 numbers for all of his next contract and then signs a big money short term afterward .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Despite having followed the NHL to some extent for soon 30 years I haven't been following the off-season that intently until now.
There's always a couple of deals that get held back until training camps are open and teams get to see what some of the hopeful guys actually come in as . The news of Lehner for example was probably known by most of the GMs at the end of last season but teams like the Islanders that have a solid veteran backup are probably waiting to see if their minor league next up guy is going to be ready to move up full time . If they think he is then they will talk to Vegas and some of the other teams that desperately need a better goalie in their roster . It;s that dead time between arbitration and the start of camp right now so not much will be released by teams , in 5-6 weeks thins will start moving again .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel bad for Naz that he had his coming out party during such a market downturn, but I wonder if he's walked into a John Klingberg type situation where he has to go bet on himself on a short term deal and hope there's a pot of gold in 2023? But then of course he will be one year older then.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If he can get $7 million from Colorado, take the money, because usually when you leave a winner and sign for the payout, you don't win again.

If he gets $7m AAV for 7 from anybody, that's money to retire on. He was an elite centre this year, but at his age who's banking on him long term? Now if I am the Flames maybe I go with a higher number, if you paid Kadri $2million more than Monahan, and moved or bought out Monahan, that's a better team no question.

If I am a betting man though I think Kadri's wife choose New York.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does Kadri will make more pts than Beauvillier and Bailey together ?
My answer is NO.
They need to trade at least one but more probably these 2 guy to fit Kadri @ 9M and resign Their RFA.

Kind of weird to compare the production of 1 lineup spot to 2

You would need to compare the production of Kadri + Additional Player to Beauvillier and Bailey to make an accurate comparison.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
If he wants a big dollar payday he’s gonna have to go short term I don’t think any team wants to commit 7 years

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As for pure UFA signings I think most of the big names are usually signed within the first week. The ones that take longer, or never happen, are the ones where GMs have to clear cap space to make room for a high priced UFA. Kadri is now in the latter category.

Reactions: D1az

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Which players still need contracts that is so surprising?

Kadri is simply pricing himself out. Teams are wise to not pay him 9M AAV after ONE season where he showed he could be worth it.

He's gonna he 32 in October, the contract is obviously not gonna be worth it
Like Milano and others who should be on roster

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I feel bad for Naz that he had his coming out party during such a market downturn, but I wonder if he's walked into a John Klingberg type situation where he has to go bet on himself on a short term deal and hope there's a pot of gold in 2023? But then of course he will be one year older then.
Yeah I don't think you want to do that when you're 32 when the season starts. He knows it's going to be tough to maintain this level of play for much longer.

If it's going to be less money per year, then so bet it but security has to be high on his list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad